Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Insights into wafers, CPU's and the future.

I stumbled on this article while looking for something else, as is usually the case. I found the article interesting, and thought I would share it..

http://www.cpuplanet.com/features/article.php/1499981

In the second half of 2003, Intel's "Prescott" Pentium 4 redesign will take the next step -- from 0.13-micron to 0.09-micron process technology, although it's not called that. Below a tenth of a micron (the size, Intel points out, of a typical virus), it's fair to say you've entered the realm of nanotechnology.

Back to the top..

I'll confess that I didn't read the article, but we are getting close to the wall of transistor based technology. If the scale is too small (I forget what parts of the transistor are referred to when saying 90nm .13 micron etc.) then there will be interference among the electrons. They will just "bleed" through parts of the transistor and render it useless.

Never fear though, alternatives to transistors (and I'm not talking about vaccuum tubes ) have been researched for decades. 3 dimensional wafers for one thing, I actually held one in my hand once, pretty cool stuff.

Anyway it'll be a decade at least before anything supplants the current technology.
    -soplcod

This should be a sticky in Processor Forum.... Moving this one to Processor and leaving a note to Claw.

Interesting article, much like the intoduction to electronic devices I recieved as part of a module I took last semester at uni...

BY the way, Prescot won't be a P4, it'll be called a P5... keeps to intels 2 core revisions per pentium naming cycle...

Chaos
    Gigabyte GA-7VT880-L - Athlon XP2500+ - 1024mb twinX XMS3700 - Radeon 9700 128mb

Iiyama VM Pro 512 - Coolermaster ATC200 MX1 - Soltek SL-75FRN2-L -(with)- Athlon XP1700+ - 1024mb PC2700 - Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb - Creative SB Audigy -Logitech MX 500 USB

Toshiba Tecra S1 - P-M 1.6GHz - 768mb PC2100 - Radeon mobility 9000 32mb (my wireless dedicated LAN server...)

Originally posted by ChaosEngine
    Interesting article, much like the intoduction to electronic devices I recieved as part of a module I took last semester at uni...

BY the way, Prescot won't be a P4, it'll be called a P5... keeps to intels 2 core revisions per pentium naming cycle...

Chaos
    A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet...
    -soplcod

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet...
    or in intel's case--dog sh!t is still dog sh!t no matter what you call it...
    My sig will be here some day...

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

Jeez, I feel honored (blushing), actually got something into the stickies... It was an interesting article though. It gave a lot of insights into the future of CPU technology. I for one, learned a lot by it..
    Last edited by danny5; 04-20-2003 at 09:29 PM.

Originally posted by sopclod
    Never fear though, alternatives to transistors (and I'm not talking about vaccuum tubes ) have been researched for decades. 3 dimensional wafers for one thing, I actually held one in my hand once, pretty cool stuff.

Well, were you referring to Carbon Nanotubes, also?

Theorists have shown that nanotubes can be conducting or insulating depending on their structure. This may lead to applications in nanoelectronics.
    http://www.personal.rdg.ac.uk/~scsharip/tubes.htm

heh, just noticed this was mentioned in the link by danny5.
    Last edited by notdrugged; 04-20-2003 at 08:15 PM.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Yeah, maybe I should actually READ the article...
    -soplcod

If you get too small you have to deal with the consequences of quantum mechanics... a la quantum computing.

Quantum computing has nothing to do with the size of the computer. Its all about entangling particles and seeing what happens when you measure them. The equipment to do that is probably pretty big.

True, I didn't mean to infer that the size of the computer had to do with anything but as the semiconductor technology is shrinking to the point where some quantum physics plays a big part, then you can't compute using the current semiconductor technology. That's why I mentioned quantum computing. I was referring the the size of the logic "gates" not the actual equipment size.