Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html
    Interesting article, mentions applications of synthetic diamond in chip making.

WOW! that is sweet! Its too bad that a stingy monopoly like De beers might be trying to keep Diamond Semiconductors from entering the market. i can't wait to see what a DIAMOND CPU wafer can do!!

If they're synthetics then DeBeers shouldn't have any say/interest in it, kind of like diamonds used for tools. (I confess that I didn't read the article.)
    -soplcod

Oh well thats okay if you didn't read the article. But actually, De Beers is very concerned about the synthetic diamonds. This is because they are actual REAL diamonds. Even though DeBeers is going to try and make the public opinion against the synthetics, I think that so far they have no way to tell which is which.

What's interesting is that, from what I have read at least, the "value" of diamonds is artificial anyway as it is all controlled by DeBeers.

A friend of mine told me that you can always tell a natural diamond from a synthetic because the synthetics are too perfect.

Maybe the cartel is finally weakening!
    -soplcod

no, but see, the thing is, you can CONTROL how perfect a synthetic diamond is. Thats how they can make yellow diamonds. There actually just impure, and not completely changed carbon shards.

I see what you're saying. Either way it kind of underminds DeBeers and diamond mining. Diamonds are definitely useful (for things other than getting married) so I'm all for it, diamond cartels be damned.
    -soplcod

I agree, the death of our society, is ruthless and uncouth tactics from major cartels, They make money and power on your dollar, and have been reducing the publics purchasing power for about a century.
    I'm all for the synthetics!!! Whats more important? Whether a diamond on somebodies hand is REAL, or making new technologies that may one day lead to the salvation of mankind??

CPU magazine's latest issue has a good (albeit brief) article about new transistor technology. Current transistors use a kind of flat or planar topology with one gate. New technologies involving more of a "3D" design and 2 or 3 gates are being explored. The problem apparently is that todays transistors are inefficient (they produce a lot of heat) and it is getting hard to make them smaller because of the thinness of the silicon layer.

Check it out. CPU is a pretty good read.
    -soplcod

CPU magazine's latest issue has a good (albeit brief) article about new transistor technology. Current transistors use a kind of flat or planar topology with one gate. New technologies involving more of a "3D" design and 2 or 3 gates are being explored. The problem apparently is that todays transistors are inefficient (they produce a lot of heat) and it is getting hard to make them smaller because of the thinness of the silicon layer.

Check it out. CPU is a pretty good read.
    -soplcod

Yeah, I heard about these "3D" CPU Wafers. They seem pretty cool. Now...If only those diamond wafer guys, and the 3D wafer guys could get together

Thumbs up New CGS Technology

Sharp last year developed the worlds fisrt CPU made entirely on glass. CGS Continous Grain Silicon. Think of the implications.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/10/22/sharp021022
    http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/9801.htm

here are just a few of the stories floating around. Just imagine a see thru motherboard as well as the CPU. It would make a awesome looking rig. Note it is still in developement. From further investigating it runs at only 100 mhz FSB and even though it achieves 2.6 gigs it is much slower compared to todays conventional computers operating at the same speed. It still has a way to go but it really shows some direction to the things to come.
    Last edited by Banzibuck; 11-05-2003 at 02:10 AM.

Originally posted by Vihsadas on 08-30-2003 at 02:14 PM
    I'm all for the synthetics!!! Whats more important? Whether a diamond on somebodies hand is REAL, or making new technologies that may one day lead to the salvation of mankind??
    it's the beginning of the matrix i tells ya! we're all doomed... =)

You know, I started this thread 8 months ago. Nice to see it is still going. Shows that there are some folks here that are really interested in the future of technology.

it's the beginning of the matrix i tells ya! we're all doomed... =)
    ...interesting IJ.....a diamond is a matrix of carbon....