Thread: how to lan?

how to lan?

is it easy to setup a couple desktops for a lan game?

if we both have win xp do we just hook them up or what?
    Gigabyte 990XA-UD3/8 Gigs Corsair Vengence CMZ8GX3M2A1
    PHENOM II 4 CORE 955 Black Edition/Antec-Kuhler 920
    KINGSTON64 GB SSD hdd
    LG Litescribe sata BD/DVD/CD Burner
    RADEON HD 6870, LG 34" & Acer 23" monitors plus 42 plasma
    ANTEC EarthPower 750W psu, Creative SB X-FI Extreme Music
    Logitech 5500 spkrs

You do just hook them up, however you will need some kit:

A hub/switch for 2 PC's a hub is fine and there is a good choice of cheap mini hubs
    Some CAT5 cables 2 at least PC1 - hub - PC2
    2 NIC's (Network Interface Cards) a lot of mobo's have these built in now so worth a look

Once all connected together you should be able to play games with out having to setup
    a workgroup or do any further config to either system. Just bring up the command prompt and
    type "ipconfig" and check what your IP address is (from the PC that will host the game), not always needed!
    Once the game is up and running the other PC should be able to the see the game and join in,
    this may not be the case for some games!
    If you wanted to take a little more time over it then you could put both PC's into a workgroup of the same name
    "workgroup" is default this is done in the system properties under "the computer name" tab and is the bottom
    option "change" once rebooted you should now be able to see each PC from "Network Neighbourhood"

I apologise if this is unclear and will go in depth for you if needed

can you also connect computer to computer (Lan to Lan) with a cross cable
    AMD PHENOM II X2 555 3.2Ghz Black Edition @ 3.6ghz x4 B55
    MSI 870A-G54
    4gig V-gen x 2
    XFX Radeon HD 6850 BE @ CM jetfan
    Hitachi 1TB SATA3
    WDC Green 2TB SATA3
    Cougar CMX550 550W Modular
    23" Dell LED

Yup you can use a cross over cable.

With XP you always get a IP address assigned automatically on boot and then it should just be a matter of connecting the two PC's.

Then just fire the game on both PC's and make one of them the hots of the game. The other should then see the game and be able to connect with no problems.

Of course if you want to share files as well as game it is a bit more complicated.

'Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers' - Serious Sam

A cross over cable works fine but only for 2 PCs. All computers on the LAN must be in the same workgroup. If using WinXP run the 'network setup wizard' on all computers. It's an easy way to get everyone on the same workgroup. If not using a DHCP server (router or Windows ICS) then I suggest manually assigning the IP address for each PC to something that's easy to remember. I like 192.168.0.xxx where xxx is in the 100-199 range.

If the LAN is going to be permanent or setup frequently for gaming I suggest a router. They make things SO simple. They usually have a 4 port switch built-in, they act as a DHCP server so every connected PC gets an IP address automatically and they allow easy sharing of the internet (if you have cable or DSL) in addition to connecting your network.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

it would probly only be a one time maybe twice a year thing and the cross over cable thing sounds great.

that means i dont need any extra hardware right just bring a cat 5 cable?

i wonder if this willscrew up his sat internet connection?
    KINGSTON64 GB SSD hdd
    Logitech 5500 spkrs

You only need the cross over cable and a network card in each PC. If he has only one network card in his PC then he might need to change the TCPIP settings for that card so it works on the LAN. That might disable his SAT connection but he can always put the settings back to normal when you are done playing. A better solution is for him to have 2 network cards in his PC. One connects to the Sat and stays just as it is now. The other would be set to have a fixed IP address (like 192.168.0.100) that would be easy for you to connect to over the LAN.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

i have a built in nic and an extra linksys nic to use as well so it probly be better for me to use my computer with the extra nic and just unplug his sat connection and plug in my cable from my extra nic or maybe i wouldnt even have to , maybe with dhcp i can just use my onboard nic? we dont need to be online do we? can we just play head to head?
    age of kings is likely the game we will play maybe age of mythology
    KINGSTON64 GB SSD hdd
    Logitech 5500 spkrs

No you don't need to be online. The key is the IP addresses. Whichever NICs you decide to use you should edit the TCPIP properties so that both PCs have a fixed IP address (192.168.0.100 & 101 are common) for the duration of your gaming session. There is no DHCP unless you are using a router or Windows ICS (internet connection sharing). His NIC used on the sat connection is probably configured to obtain IP address automatically in Windows as is yours if you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP (most people do). Each of you needs to change to a fixed IP on one of your NICs as I explained above. After the gaming session don't forget to change things back to obtain IP automatically or you won't be able to get on the net through your ISP like you normally would.

Remember that if you are connecting two computers from nic to nic you NEED to use a CROSSOVER cat-5 cable, not a regular cat-5. They will be labeled "crossover". They have the transmit and receive line "crossed-over" so it can communicate with other computer. Hubs and switches do this automatically, thats why you use regular cat-5 cables with them.

ok i think i get it now, never realized there was such thing as crossover cables

thanks dudes
    KINGSTON64 GB SSD hdd
    Logitech 5500 spkrs