Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question why dual CPU n not single

why

if you use an app that's multithreaded, you'll get better performance than using one processor

If your wife/significant other won't allow a bunch of computer cases in the house. She'll never know that each box actually has two CPU's in them.

Originally posted by poopygood
    If your wife/significant other won't allow a bunch of computer cases in the house. She'll never know that each box actually has two CPU's in them.
    LOL, preach it.

Now im told off beta boards that Starwars Galaxies will utalize 2nd cpu for terrain drawing.

So would dual xp2100 be faster than 1 Barton 2500?

Never had a dualy board before.

Thanks!

Seek.
    Ewok bowling...It's not just for Storm Troopers anymore.

you wont see much performance increase in games with a dual CPU system. If your graphics card seems to struggle with high end games, then giving it more processor power will help it achieve better frame rates, but not by a whole lot.

If you can run the game at 60 FPS with a 2500 barton, you might be able to get 65-70 FPS with a dual 2100 setup. The thing is, you will never know the difference.

I have a dual CPU system becuase I do a lot of 3d graphics rendering which can sometimes take several hours to complete one image. If I only had 1 CPU, I would be looking at even longer rendering times.

For games, dont spend the money on a dual CPU system because you will not be able to see a performance increase.

However, if you are like me and bragging rights are on the line and its absolutely necessary that you get a dual CPU system, you will need to buy Athlon MP, not Athlon XP (you can buy the XP but you have to physcially mod the chip to make it work in a dual configuration)

why dual CPU n not single

That's funny... I tested a Geforce 4 Ti4600 on my Athlon MP 2600+ system and it performed horribly. When used on a single XP 2100+ system it was a totally different story. The same goes for an R300 and R350. They all performed better (for UT2K3, anyway) in a single proc system

Dually:

Antec 300watt PSU
    Tyan TigerMPX (S2466-N) Beta BIOS v1.03
    (2) Athlon MP 2600+
    512MB PC2100 Mushkin
    Tested with NV30, R300 and R350. Detonator 43.45 & Catalyst 3.1 drivers were used.
    Promise FastTrak 100 TX 2
    (2) 40GB ATA-100 7200 RPM RAID-0
    (1) ATA-100 7200 RPM
    SB Live! Gamer
    Win2kPro SP3 DX9
    Latest chipset drivers
    UT2K3 v2225

Single:

Antec 300watt PSU
    Asus A7V266-E
    Athlon XP 2100+
    512MB PC2100 Mushkin
    Tested with NV30, R300 and R350. Detonator 43.45 & Catalyst 3.1 drivers were used.
    (1) 40GB ATA-100 7200 RPM
    onboard audio used
    Win2kPro SP3 DX9
    Latest chipset drivers
    UT2K3 v2225

The 1P system outperformed the 2P system in all tests related to video gaming performance. There was a significant and very noticeable difference in gameplay, especially during botmatches. C3.2 were used as well for the R300/350 cards, but again, the 1P system bested my 2600+ MP rig. For now, i'm still using the R350 on the 2P rig, but i'll soon build an XP 3200+ 400 FSB with duel channel DDR machine that'll rock.

The 2P system will go back to hosting all game servers and network services. That's where it belongs, in the server-end of things.
    Last edited by Snooka; 05-01-2003 at 03:42 AM.

ok this is why I bought a 2Cpu....under winxp pro the OS works off of both CPU's ... meaning while im burning a cd. Listining to a MP3... / woking in PHOTOSHOP....I have plenty of power to do other things too.... its all about getting the work done fast and having power to spare!

Re: why dual CPU n not single

Originally posted by Snooka

Dually:

Antec 300watt PSU
    Tyan TigerMPX (S2466-N) Beta BIOS v1.03
    (2) Athlon MP 2600+
    512MB PC2100 Mushkin
    Promise FastTrak 100 TX 2
    (2) 40GB ATA-100 7200 RPM RAID-0
    (1) ATA-100 7200 RPM
    SB Live! Gamer
    Win2kPro SP3 DX9
    Latest chipset drivers
    UT2K3 v2225

I'm surprised this even runs on a 300W PSU. Did you install the AGP miniport drivers?

I use a dually because I write multithreaded apps and you gotta have multiple cpu's to really test multithreaded apps. And they are more responsive than single cpu systems when multitasking.

-trout
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Originally posted by suncloud
    ok this is why I bought a 2Cpu....under winxp pro the OS works off of both CPU's ... meaning while im burning a cd. Listining to a MP3... / woking in PHOTOSHOP....I have plenty of power to do other things too.... its all about getting the work done fast and having power to spare!
    So can i use those P4 with HT and treat that as dually CPU system?

smoked trout:

Yup. The MP system runs fine on a 300watt PSU. I myself thought i was going to have to buy a more powerful one, but i haven't had any power related problems. I must be lucky, i guess... I've heard of horror stories after building MP systems with weak PSUs exhibiting major stability problems.

I'm using the newest chipset drivers as well. The 1P rig bested the 2P in gaming only. In everything else, the dually outperformed the 1P rig. There's a creamy smoothness that cannot be replicated with 1P systems, but because i mainly do gaming and require the best gaming performance, i'll settle for an XP proc instead; however, i'll still put the 2P system to good use.

I was going to build another MP system for my little brother, but after the tests he decided he would rather have a new XP system. I can't blame him. I rarely see him multitask, and when he does it's playing MP3's and surfing the net, so it would be a horrid waste of processing power. That leaves me with two brand new 2600+ MP CPUs that i really don't need. I was thinking about selling them on these forums, but i wanted to contact the moderators because i had some questions regarding the R&R. With the release of the Opteron line of CPUs, i don't expect to get more than US$325.00 for both, but who knows? I also have two used 1800+ MP CPUs that i wanted to sell. I'd probably do what i normally would do under different circumstances - BUILD. The thing is, we have way too many systems in our household, and building another MP system right now is not feasible.

For everything but gaming, i love my MP system.
    Last edited by Snooka; 05-02-2003 at 04:02 PM.
    AIM: Snooka75
    IRC: ETG / #curse
    Team «curse»

So can i use those P4 with HT and treat that as dually CPU system?
    HT only offers a minor performance boost. As explained in another thread, the two threads have to share resources in the same proc, which can lead to an actual reduction in performance versus a regular proc. In a dually you have double the physical resources and dont have the wait that is sometimes involved w/ ht.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: why dual CPU n not single

Originally posted by Snooka
    That's funny... I tested a Geforce 4 Ti4600 on my Athlon MP 2600+ system and it performed horribly. When used on a single XP 2100+ system it was a totally different story. The same goes for an R300 and R350. They all performed better (for UT2K3, anyway) in a single proc system

Sounds like a problem with a conflict of some kind.
    At worst the MP system should have ran games as good.

In fact my dual 1.2MP system runs UT2K3 much smoother than my XP1800 system with the same radeon.

UT2K3 is multi-threaded although not SMP aware.
    It pushes boths procs to about 60%.

Everyone multitasks. The average little old lady opens Outlook and a few Explorer windows not to mention all the processes kept going by the OS.

Its how quick the windows open and switch and run that makes it great. I can unzip, install multiple programs, update, FOLD and share a few files at the same time with no glitches or slow down.
    Last edited by 64026402; 05-02-2003 at 11:18 PM.
    10 AMD duals,1 P3 dual, Donald

why dual CPU n not single

64026402:

That's what i suspected... But, i don't have another dual socket-462 motherboard to compare my Tyan S2466-N with. In either case, there wasn't a significant amount of tweaking that would allow me to boost performance for gaming. As i'm certain you're aware, the setup program for my particular motherboard doesn't provide many options with regard to performance tuning. The AGP aperture size and external CPU frequency is pretty much it, and the latter already being pushed to its limits without a noticeable boost. Performance tuning in Win2k/XP over SMP isn't that great either. I'm currently looking into the chipset tweaking guide i found on these forums. I'm not much into OC'ing these expensive parts. The benchmarks would provide higher numbers, but will i actually see a difference? Nope. I'm not going to even bother with some extreme cooling solution just to add a 5-7% performance boost.

As far as the whole 'multitasking' thing goes... Technically, you're correct; however, checking e-mail with Outlook and browsing a few Explorer windows doesn't require SMP. Bragging rights aside, it's usually a waste for most users. It's expensive too!

I absolutely love the hiccup-free operation and solid stability of this rig though. Whenever i'm using another PC and experience the typical slowdowns and/or system lockup because some program ate the CPU utilization, it puts a sinister grin on this mug.

Snooka
    AIM: Snooka75
    IRC: ETG / #curse
    Team «curse»