Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Update: One Troll cuffed and stuffed!!!! Yee Haw!!!

JUST SO EVERYONE IS CLEAR, THIS FELLOW WHO IS THE TROLL TALKED ABOUT BELOW IMPERSONATED A BEEROLOGY MEMBER NAMED GARY PARKER, WHO BY ALL ACCOUNTS IS AN HONEST TRADER.

Thanks

Tenax
    amdmb.com

I posted a "for trade" thread here and on anandtech. The deal was my Crucial Radeon 9700pro and an Athlon 2600/333 for one 9800pro.

An individual who identified himself as Gary Parker and used the e-mail address builtmyfirst@hotmail.com responded. He said he had a 9800pro that he would trade. The troll also provided a link to his references: http://www.beerology.com/ars/view.cf...t%20my%20first

We both agreed to cross ship and that we would mail on Friday, May 9th via UPS ground. Gary promised me a tracking number that night when he got off work. Saturday morning came and no tracking number. Finally, after two e-mails, he responds:
    Hey I'm really sorry about that. For some reason Hotmail sent your last email to the Junk Mail folder. ??? Anyways, I'll email it to you when I get off work.
    Thank you for your patience.
    Sunday morning rolls around and still no tracking number. I e-mail again and after a lengthy delay, he responds: Please don't be upset with me, your card is on it's way. I'm dealing with a huge crisis at work and I've only been home to sleep. Someone in accounting managed to "lose" about $10,000. Please be patient
    Monday comes and goes with no further responses to my repeated, tactful, and civil e-mails.
    Tuesday afternoon is here. Gary has not responded and UPS has already made their rounds for today. No card.

So watch out folks. This is what appears to be a previously good trader turned troll
    UPDATE:
    I just got back from GA. To make a very long story short, I recovered my CPU and video card. However, the troll was as incompetent with computers as he was at trolling. He managed to crack the core on my CPU. But, the card is reinstalled in my computer and works perfectly. Thank God, that thing was expensive! At least I didn't need the CPU.

The shipping address turned out to be the his actual residence. The troll lived with his sister named Erica. She was not involved. The troll's real name is Jason Parker. He is a scrawny little 20 y/o dope smoking idiot. Before I went to GA, I called the Richmond Hill P.D and prepped the battle field. They where ready when I got there. The kid showed up and I eventually found his friends house where the stuff was being stored.

The troll was arrested for an unrelated probation violation. I must admit, it felt good seeing him stuffed into the back of a patrol car!

Now for the really sad part. DO NOT TRUST BEEROLOGY REFERENCES!! EVER!!! I asked the kid how he pulled this off. He said he browsed the beerology references until he found a good profile with a first name in it. Then he just e-mailed the webmaster and said "Hi, this is Gary. I am changing ISPs and am temporarily using Hotmail. Can you update my profile to reflect this?" The worthless admin at beerology did so without blinking.

So be very careful folks. Heatware seems to be the most secure reference system.
    Last edited by tenax; 05-14-2003 at 09:48 PM.
    - Abit IP35 Pro
    - X3350 @ 3.4GHz
    - Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme
    - 4 GB Crucial Ballistix PC2 8000
    - XFX 8800GT
    - Seagate 7200.11 500GB & Raptor 740GD
    - PCP&C 510-SLI PSU
    - NEC 20WMGX2 / Dell 2005 FPW
    - Vista 64-bit

Let's just hope you're not jumping the gun here... it has only been four days, and delays do happen (as do SNAFUs at work). Here's to hoping this gets resolved quickly.
    -- Michael R.

Originally posted by Skulemate
    Let's just hope you're not jumping the gun here... it has only been four days, and delays do happen (as do SNAFUs at work). Here's to hoping this gets resolved quickly.
    Doesn't look that way.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...AR_MSGDBTABLE=
    - Abit IP35 Pro
    - X3350 @ 3.4GHz
    - XFX 8800GT
    - PCP&C 510-SLI PSU
    - Vista 64-bit

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it
    Sorry to hear about the incident. I got trolled way back by a guy using hotmail.

Yet another good reason never to do business with someone using hotmail or any other free email address,

GET AN ISP EMAIL ADDRESS!!! At least then you can track them down!
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

Originally posted by Soundforbjt
    Sorry to hear about the incident. I got trolled way back by a guy using hotmail.

Yet another good reason never to do business with someone using hotmail or any other free email address,

GET AN ISP EMAIL ADDRESS!!! At least then you can track them down!
    Hindsight is 20/20. I was blinded my his glowing references.
    - Abit IP35 Pro
    - X3350 @ 3.4GHz
    - XFX 8800GT
    - PCP&C 510-SLI PSU
    - Vista 64-bit

If it's the real Gary, AKA BMF, he was a well respected member at Ars Technica when I first joined there. In fact, he was pretty much top-dog over there as far a technical knowledge and generally being very helpful. Then, a couple of years ago, there was a big crisis at Ars when BMF dropped the ball on a lot of trades. He eventually made good on all of them, citing "family problems". I believe his story was he had to leave home to provide care for a dying parent.

Anyway, I recommend you go over to the Ars Agora forum and contact SuperDave at agora_mod@comcast.net. He's one of the forum moderators. They should be able to tell you if this is the same BMF or someone stealing his identity. If it is him, they should be able to intercede for you.

Originally posted by pervisanathema
    Hindsight is 20/20. I was blinded my his glowing references.
    Hey, I got an e-mail from that guy a few days ago for my Audigy Platinum set, I was leery of him for three simple facts:

1. He was using Hotmail
    2. He was insisting on me shipping irst due to his beerology, but if you look at his so called stats they are old, none within the last nine months
    3. I've never seen him on these forums, plus the fact that he was avoiding sending PM

I never deal with anyone who has not posted here withing the past anything on the AMDMB forums within a two week period and at least has 200+ posts, anything less and they pay first, no cross shipping no matter how good it sounds. Plus you should always look at the references, seeing that his references were old should have let you know something was up.

I thiink he sent me an address to ship to also, if you need help let me know. Guess you'll have to mark it down as a lesson learned.
    Main Rig
    WXP Pro * A7N8X-D Rev. 2.0 (1007 Bios) * AXP 2500+ (AQUCA 0307) @ 2.27ghz w/SLK800-Vantec Tornado 80mm Combo * Samsung 512MBx2 3200 DDR * ATI Radeon 9800 PRO * AverTV Studio PCI * Memorex 16X DVDROM, Sony DRU-500a * 2 WD 80Gb SE HD's * SunBeam Acrylic Case w/Aspire Turbo 520W Triple Fan PS

Heat: Aquarianperry
    EBay Feedback

i want to make it clear that there could well be an impostor in this situation using another's beerology refs, again......please see this from trollhunters bad guys list....

Minard, Brian from Richmond Hill or McDonough Georgia. This one has tried twice, that we know of, to use other trader's references as his own. So far he's been unsuccessful but will likely try again. He sets up an email address almost identical to that of the good trader hoping his prey won't notice until it's too late.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/message...hreadid=1043376
    http://www.amdforums.com/showthread...threadid=223291

it is inconclusive at this time to claim that gary parker is a troll. i am closing this thread pending further investigation. if anyone has any more info to provide, please do asap to me by pm or email. to understand the story further, you also need to read this post and TONYH's comments specifically.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...AR_MSGDBTABLE=

thank you

T
    Last edited by tenax; 05-13-2003 at 04:24 PM.

some new info....

No Problem I have $460 of motivation! Also, y.g.pm
    - Abit IP35 Pro
    - X3350 @ 3.4GHz
    - XFX 8800GT
    - PCP&C 510-SLI PSU
    - Vista 64-bit

i'm sure..everyone should also be aware that to our current knowledge, this person is not subscribed to AT or amdmb.com! be extra cautious if someone posts to you without giving a user name that you can look up...this wouldn't be the first time that a trader has scanned sites and emailed directly.

further, the latest info would point to brian minard/gary parker working together or being one and the same person. while gary parker is not, brian minard is on the bad guy's list.

see this latest thread.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VAR_MSGDBTABLE
    Last edited by tenax; 05-13-2003 at 09:33 PM.

Hey Tenax, you've got PM with some evidence/411
    Main Rig
    WXP Pro * A7N8X-D Rev. 2.0 (1007 Bios) * AXP 2500+ (AQUCA 0307) @ 2.27ghz w/SLK800-Vantec Tornado 80mm Combo * Samsung 512MBx2 3200 DDR * ATI Radeon 9800 PRO * AverTV Studio PCI * Memorex 16X DVDROM, Sony DRU-500a * 2 WD 80Gb SE HD's * SunBeam Acrylic Case w/Aspire Turbo 520W Triple Fan PS

EBay Feedback

BUMP!!! See the top post for details.
    Last edited by pervisanathema; 05-14-2003 at 08:17 PM.
    - Abit IP35 Pro
    - X3350 @ 3.4GHz
    - XFX 8800GT
    - PCP&C 510-SLI PSU
    - Vista 64-bit

Wow, ever thought of making a career out of troll hunting? Good going on that one!!!
    Main Rig

EBay Feedback

Way to Freakin Go!