Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seti Client and Dual CPU in Linux

Is there a command line switch I can use on each of two instances of Linux native clients in Linux so each uses a separate CPU? When I was running the Windows client in Wine, I could use the -cpu0 or -cpu1 command, but it doesn't work with the Linux native client.
    MSI RS480M2 MB | 4000+ A64 | Arctic Silver II | OCZ ModStream PS | 1 GB OCZ Ultra High Perf Dual Channel RAM | Win XP SP2 | Two 160 GB SATA Drives in Raid 0 | HP 6200C SCSI Scanner | Hyundai 17" LCD Monitor | DVD+/-RW | Falcon NW Fragbox II Case |

Oldfrog would be the one to answer this but in the meantime here's a linux link from our team Website.

http://seti.amdmbpond.com/linux.html

Hope it helps
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Thanks for the link, but I was already there. That's the only reason I was able to get it to work at all
    Unfortunately, Oldfrog does not mention duallies in his tutorial
    MSI RS480M2 MB | 4000+ A64 | Arctic Silver II | OCZ ModStream PS | 1 GB OCZ Ultra High Perf Dual Channel RAM | Win XP SP2 | Two 160 GB SATA Drives in Raid 0 | HP 6200C SCSI Scanner | Hyundai 17" LCD Monitor | DVD+/-RW | Falcon NW Fragbox II Case |

Originally posted by Tkon
    Thanks for the link, but I was already there. That's the only reason I was able to get it to work at all
    Unfortunately, Oldfrog does not mention duallies in his tutorial
    With any luck he'll see your thread and help ya!
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

No need for a switch, each instance will use up to 99% of a cpu, so if you run 2 instances, the other one will be swapped to the 2d cpu. I use ksetispy to run 2 instances in GUI because I'm lazy and I found there wasn't much difference with the command line on my duallie and I get nice statistics plus a cache.

When I have one instance running, it uses 99.7% of the resourses, when I have two running, they both use 49.8%. The time to crunch two work units is about 9 hours, with a cpu time of around 4 1/2 hours. This looks to me like both instances are using the same cpu, while the other cpu does nothing.

Any ideas what I can try?

Looks to me like linux is only seeing 1 processor from what you describe

Anyway, check out the dual processor bit at the end of my SETI on UNIX faq at our team website:

http://seti.amdmbpond.com/unix.html

It's pretty basic (cpu usage generated with top command), but will give you an idea of what you should be seeing. Although this example is on UNIX (IRIX), linux should be no different.

You are running 2 seperate instances of setiathome from 2 seperate directories aren't you?

Hope that helps,

Ned

do a 'uname -a' command and see if your kernel has a "smb" part.
    You need a SMB-enabled kernel.

Originally posted by Ned Slider
    Looks to me like linux is only seeing 1 processor from what you describe
    Anyway, check out the dual processor bit at the end of my SETI on UNIX faq at our team website:
    http://seti.amdmbpond.com/unix.html
    It's pretty basic (cpu usage generated with top command), but will give you an idea of what you should be seeing. Although this example is on UNIX (IRIX), linux should be no different.
    You are running 2 seperate instances of setiathome from 2 seperate directories aren't you?
    Hope that helps,
    Ned
    I have both Seti clients in a separate directory, coincidentally named Seti1 and Seti2. Unlike your tutorial, which was informative, when I'm running one process, top shows 100% cpu is being utilized.

Originally posted by OldFrog
    do a 'uname -a' command and see if your kernel has a "smb" part.
    You need a SMB-enabled kernel.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Here is what the output was:

Linux libranet 2.4.20 #1 Mon May 12 18:36:12 EDT 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

It doesn't mention smb. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I recompiled the kernel on May 12, so I could install a trial version of VMware.

recompile your kernel again, this time enabing smb support. It's in the proc section near the beginning of xconfig.

Ned

What Ned said

Yeahhhhh!!!!!

Recompiling the kernel worked

Thank you very much Ned and OldFrog, I am know crunching twice as hard

Way over my head..sounded fun though.

Originally posted by Tkon
    Yeahhhhh!!!!!

Recompiling the kernel worked

Thank you very much Ned and OldFrog, I am know crunching twice as hard
    Great stuff

Originally posted by harley2paws
    Way over my head..sounded fun though.
    It wasn't hard, I just typed what OldFrog said, and clicked a button to recompile the kernel. A trained frog could have done it just as easily... oh wait, I did do it