Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Dude....

Originally posted by TheOtherDude
    "thermal balls,"

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL!! That name is so F****In funny!!!!!
    My System

Asus P5Q Deluxe 1306 | E8200 |Noctua U12P w/ NFP12 | G.Skill PQ PC2-8000 4GB | Asus ATi 4850 512MB | Corsair 650W | Coolermaster CM 690 | WD 320GB | WD RE2 500x2 | HP w2207h 22" LCD

HTPC-Fileserver

Asus M3A78-EM 1206*dead* | Phenom X3 8450 | G.Skill PQ PC2-8000 4GB | Sapphire ATi 3470 | Vantec 520W | Lian-Li PC75B | WD 250GBx2 | Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750x2 |

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Via will put 2 versions of the KT600 out, similar to what they did witn the Kt400, and as usuall the first rev. will be a lesser performer than the final one. I don't see very many MB makers rushing to put this out. Too little, too late!

Originally posted by grdh20
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that Via will put 2 versions of the KT600 out, similar to what they did witn the Kt400, and as usuall the first rev. will be a lesser performer than the final one. I don't see very many MB makers rushing to put this out. Too little, too late!
    Maybe they're just claiming that they're planning two versions because too many people were busting their stones for the 266/266A and 400/400A fiascoes?

That way when the KT-600 is a dud they can rush out a KT-600A and say they meant to do it that way!

Too little, too late.
    AMD Athon64 X2 4800+
    ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium
    2 GB PC3200 Corsair XMS C2
    2X eVga 7800GTX KO SLI
    Disc0=74GB WD SATA Raptor, Disc1=250GB WD SATA, Disc2=120GB WD ATA
    PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 SLI PSU
    Windows XP Professional 64 Bit

So you're saying that the plastic housing around the central core is useless in help dissipating heat? Not work as heatspreader?
    It is helpful for dissapating heat because it is part of the heat slug. It technically is not a heatspreader in the traditional sense, but I see where you could get confused as a heat slug does spread heat (to the PCB in this design). A heatspreader, by the definition I know it as, spreads heat laterally. A heat slug, on the other hand, spreads the heat vertically.

Wouldn't all these motherboards' PCB under the NorthBridge would heat up as they get overclocked?... of course it would get more heat. Makes common sense.
    Yes, but the PCB behind the Nforce2 gets hotter in relation to the surface temp. The reason I know this is because it uses a heat slug, unlike MB chipsets before it.

hey dude, back to my first reply to your post, what about your Nforce2 board's NB? you dare to think it's flat? hello?.... no.. Why did you buy Nforce2 board.... so you don't have to lap?.. It doesn't make sense here, at all. Get your fact straight before you post. Once again, this is also why I said you posted something that is not necessary. I believe I've mentioned this 3 times.
    Once again, this is unacceptable response in this thread topic. Also had some sarcasm in it too as I see it. Yes, you misunderstood what I was getting at in the first place. You then understood after i pointed out. At least I wouldn't go off like this if the Nforce2 boards' NBs surface are flat. This is why I said not to bring about the NorthBridge's surface. Somebody is having hard time understanding what i've been saying here
    Though I don't fully understand your recent statements, your opinion seems to be, "Who cares if the northbridge is flat? What does that have to do with it being a good platform?" My facts are all lined up in perfect order. Be specific if you think I made an error somewhere.

My response is that I care. I thought we got away from this annoyance with the new revision of Nforce 2. I am dissapointed to see this budget technology revived. As an overclocker, this will make me less likely to purchase a board with the KT600. Obviously, if every KT600 Via makes can do 600MHz FSB (slight exageration), I'll buy many motherboards based on this chipset. However, it is a fact that the motherboards could be overclocked higher if they had a flat northbrigde and a good heatsink opposed to a concave northbridge and a good heatsink. This is just as relevant to the discussion as a PCI lock is.

And it's not only Nforce2 boards, but all the rest of the boards, the kt266/333/Ali Magik/400/400a's.
    What are you trying to say? Please try to be more clear in your replies. None of those chipsets use a heat slug (except Nforce 2 of course), if that was what you were suggesting.

What about the video card's GPU chipsets? What about the P4 processors? P3 Tuallies? Those are heatspreaders.
    I believe the Geforce 4 (and possibly other GPUs) use a heat slug. The Geforce FX (and probably other GPUs) uses a traditional heatspreader. The P4 and Tuallies use a traditional heatspreader. It is different from what is used in the cases of the Nforce 2 and KT600. This can clearly be seen in pictures of the actual chipsets.

Sorry but.. after reading your post, I just can't buy your words
    If you are still skeptical, then post some specific questions.

I still firmly believe this "flatness" discussion is helpful, relevent, and on topic for reasons I have already stated.

Originally posted by TheOtherDude
    It is helpful for dissapating heat because it is part of the heat slug. It technically is not a heatspreader in the traditional sense, but I see where you could get confused as a heat slug does spread heat (to the PCB in this design). A heatspreader, by the definition I know it as, spreads heat laterally. A heat slug, on the other hand, spreads the heat vertically.

So what I've claimed is correct.

The bottom line, as I knew, is to help spread heat, meaning dissipating heat from the chipset. Whether it uses the motherboard's PCB to act as a heatsink or not, the heat indeed gets removed from the chipset. That's the starting point. One way or the other, it helps to remove heat from the chipset core.

Yes, but the PCB behind the Nforce2 gets hotter in relation to the surface temp. The reason I know this is because it uses a heat slug, unlike MB chipsets before it.

Though I don't fully understand your recent statements, your opinion seems to be, "Who cares if the northbridge is flat? What does that have to do with it being a good platform?" My facts are all lined up in perfect order. Be specific if you think I made an error somewhere.

Now you are mentioning the Nforce2 boards build up more heat behind the NB?.. Have you changed your mind now?.. You've been sounding(excpet this time, finally) the KT600 or other KT Via boards have the issue with the NB being concave. Why did you not mention anything about the Nforce2 board back then, in your first reply in this thread. It doesn't make sense. Now you're mentioning it, even more so, you're saying Nforce2 builds up more heat, LOL. Nice going.

My response is that I care. I thought we got away from this annoyance with the new revision of Nforce 2. I am dissapointed to see this budget technology revived. As an overclocker, this will make me less likely to purchase a board with the KT600.

Then why did you pick on the KT600 NB chipset? This shows your first reply is totally not necessary. I believe I've mentioned this 4~ 5 times.

What are you trying to say? Please try to be more clear in your replies. None of those chipsets use a heat slug (except Nforce 2 of course), if that was what you were suggesting.

I was saying all those motherboard chipsets do not have flat NB surface. That's what I was talking about. You don't seem to catch it well.. Try to think more while reading. Whether it's slug or not, they are not flat. You say these board's concave but you never thought the Nforce2 would be concave also? LOL. This is why you don't need mention NB's surface since all these boards' NBs are not flat in order to fully utlitize out high-end HSF/or other cooling source to transfer heat at optimal level. I believe this is 6th time I'm mentioning this to you.

I believe the Geforce 4 (and possibly other GPUs) use a heat slug. The Geforce FX (and probably other GPUs) uses a traditional heatspreader. The P4 and Tuallies use a traditional heatspreader. It is different from what is used in the cases of the Nforce 2 and KT600. This can clearly be seen in pictures of the actual chipsets.

you "believe"??..

Get this through your head. CPUs, GPUs, & Chipsets have their heatspreaders. They are there to spread heat. That's the whole purpose.

If you are still skeptical, then post some specific questions.

You may need to stop, step back, and re-read the entire thread. Good advice. Then hopefully you know what this is all about.

I still firmly believe this "flatness" discussion is helpful, relevent, and on topic for reasons I have already stated.
    Go step back, read where I mentioned this is not necessary. (you can check within this post, or all the posts I've made in this thread)
    Last edited by [OC]_This; 05-16-2003 at 08:45 PM.

... and you want to have good contact between the HS's base and the NB chipset, perform the lapping. That is for YOU to take care of instead of blaming on the motherboards' chipsets. That is your job.

This is also why you don't need to mention about the NB's flatness. This is 7~8th time I'm mentioning.
    Last edited by [OC]_This; 05-16-2003 at 08:47 PM.

wow with people like [OC]_This I'm afraid to give my opinion.
    DOn't you dare quote me! (lol)
    "The domain of science is the factual charater of the world. Science tries to determine the facts of natural reality and to figure out why it works this way rather than some other way. Religion can't touch those subjects. Religion is the exproration of the ethical values and the search for meaning. "

Originally posted by Great2bFree
    wow with people like [OC]_This I'm afraid to give my opinion.
    DOn't you dare quote me! (lol)

nah it's not that. it's the pointless reponse to the user's statement is what I find annoying. Quoting me is one thing, but making irrelevant, pointless reply like this guy did is a "no no". If he quoted me for something I have done wrong or any major mistake, it would be acceptable. I wouldn't go off like this.

To OC_This: My Northbridge is flat, so shut up.. You keep saying that NForce2's don't have flat Northbridges.. then why does mine and several other 8RDA(+) owners? It's the new stepping... the older ones use the concave one..

Seriously.. shut up-- you're annoying.
    the emeny
    EPoX EP-8RDA+ A1/C1 Chipset Stepping [ NForce2 Ultra400 ]
    ++ Vantec IceBerq Active NB Cooling
    ++ Stock NB cooling on SB
    AMD Athlon XP 1700+ JIUHB0302 @ 210x10
    Thermalright SLK-800(A)
    ++ Arctic Silver III
    ++ ThermalTake SmartFan II
    512MB Corsair TwinX LL PC3200 @ 210 ( SYNCH ) 4-2-2-2, in Dual Channel
    ATi Radeon 9700 PRO @ 360/326.5 STABLE w/ stock cooling
    WesternDigital 120GB SE 8MB Cache
    52x24x52 Memorex CDRW
    48x CD Reader
    NForce2 Soundstorm
    Creative Inspire 5.1 Speaker Set

16899 3DMark2001
    6482/6001/1080 PCMark2002
    5369 3DMark2003

[ heat ] [ ebay refs ]

Originally posted by jason s.
    To OC_This: My Northbridge is flat, so shut up.. You keep saying that NForce2's don't have flat Northbridges.. then why does mine and several other 8RDA(+) owners? It's the new stepping... the older ones use the concave one..

Seriously.. shut up-- you're annoying.
    relax..

i'm not bashing the Nforce2 chipset boards. I own the Nforce2 boards and enjoying the power of it.. but when this guy keeps going on with the northbridge not being flat on the KT600 is out of question. Not only the KT600, but all the rest of the boards' chipsets are not flat, even the A1 stepping Nforce2 rev2 chipset isn't that flat. Don't you get it.. The point i'm getting is that since all these boards' chipsets are not flat, YOU perform the lapping to ensure perfect contact. That's your job. That's what the hell I've been talking about, not to stump on the Nforce2 board.

and watch your mouth. Flaming throwing trolls are not allowed.

And I'm not the one making big deal on the NorthBridge chipsets not being flat, TheOtherDude is! why the hell would I bitch about the NB's flatness.. are you crazy. I'm the one against it! god damn it.

This is why it is so important to read the posts and understand the meaning.

I ain't the one brought this up, remember.

Cool

Would all you people please calm down? And lay off the personal abuse too please.

M

GOD! that argument was so awesome!!! i also learnt crap about flatness and i dunno what not .. OC_THis ur the man dude!!! totally dude u really kick some bootAh! .. awesome
    My System

Asus P5Q Deluxe 1306 | E8200 |Noctua U12P w/ NFP12 | G.Skill PQ PC2-8000 4GB | Asus ATi 4850 512MB | Corsair 650W | Coolermaster CM 690 | WD 320GB | WD RE2 500x2 | HP w2207h 22" LCD

HTPC-Fileserver

Asus M3A78-EM 1206*dead* | Phenom X3 8450 | G.Skill PQ PC2-8000 4GB | Sapphire ATi 3470 | Vantec 520W | Lian-Li PC75B | WD 250GBx2 | Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750x2 |

Originally posted by Spawn_Mild
    GOD! that argument was so awesome!!! i also learnt crap about flatness and i dunno what not .. OC_THis ur the man dude!!! totally dude u really kick some bootAh! .. awesome
    I'll second that .
    "The domain of science is the factual charater of the world. Science tries to determine the facts of natural reality and to figure out why it works this way rather than some other way. Religion can't touch those subjects. Religion is the exproration of the ethical values and the search for meaning. "

Im gonna smack you all if you dont stfu!!!!

Stop fight and flamming over BS.....who cares about flatness here.... we talking about my VIA chipset friends!!

I personally love VIA.....and the fact that they are now gonna out-perform Nforce with singe channel just goes to show VIA got better engineers!!!

Nvidia is falling behind....and it shows the most in their new FX series GPU's!!!

Dont get me wrong....my next board will be a NF7-S V 2.0, just to give it a go and for the high FSB!!

But, just look at my SIG, who would thing that 193 would be possible with a $100 CAN board! Ive also got FSB of 201 with really bad RAM timming. If I had better RAM im pretty sure I can get 205 even, but dont think the WD HDD's would like that with 1/5 div.!!!

But, anywayz.....ya VIA is still ahead....the only thing is....they need to get these chipsets on boards and in stores!!!
    SYSTEM:
    Mobo: NF7-S REV. 2 (bios 1.0)
    CPU: XP 2500+ @ 2.42GHz (10.5 X 230) @ 1.93V
    Cooling: |TC-4|Hydor L30|Heatcore| (chip @ 37 - 46 degrees)
    RAM: Mushkin LVL II V2 @ 2-2-2-11
    PSU: Enermax EG465P-VE K8 Ready!
    Case: Skyhawk 4658
    Video: RADEON 9500 Pro @ 325/325
    Storage: Hitachi 7K250 250gig
    Sound: Santa Cruz - TB

"R" MAN AUDIO
    -If you build the circuit the electrons will come!