After Much frustration....

Well, after a lot of frustration, I am still unable to get Mplayer installed on this RH9 machine.... I think I am going to re-install all, to get rid of the garbage I have accumulated on here. I guess if it were a Windows machine, I would know what is garbage, and could remove it, but still being new at the Linux thing, I really don't know what I can axe and what I can't..... Which brings me to my questions......

1) Are there any hard and fast rules to "clean up your system????"

2) Is Linux similar to Windows, where if you install a program more than once (i.e., over top, without removing it) you mess the system up?

Bottom line, I am determined to keep Linux, but I am getting frustrated with having gotten set into the Windows frame of thinking......

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4
    (AKA Idahopackersfan2, Woody, Woody1&2)

Re: After Much frustration....

Originally posted by Woody1&2
    Well, after a lot of frustration, I am still unable to get Mplayer installed on this RH9 machine.... I think I am going to re-install all, to get rid of the garbage I have accumulated on here. I guess if it were a Windows machine, I would know what is garbage, and could remove it, but still being new at the Linux thing, I really don't know what I can axe and what I can't..... Which brings me to my questions......

1) Are there any hard and fast rules to "clean up your system????"

2) Is Linux similar to Windows, where if you install a program more than once (i.e., over top, without removing it) you mess the system up?

Bottom line, I am determined to keep Linux, but I am getting frustrated with having gotten set into the Windows frame of thinking......
    1). Not really, most packages are small enough (thanks to shared libraries) that it usually isn't an issue.

2). There is no registry so this generally is not an issue. A good PM system won't let your install the same version of a package you already have.
    i code therefore i am

So then if the system still starts and functions, there is really no reason to re-install.... Thanks, that saves me at least that much time. I will getthis eventually. The learning curve here is very steep! Thanks for the reply Eggs!

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

What did you use to install mplayer?
    I would recommand getting apt-get from www.freshrpms.net.
    Then from a command line
    apt-get update
    apt-get install mplayer

Every needed dependancies (the most likely reason why your install failed) will be resolved for you.

To remove a package (in case apt-getcomplains it is already installed):
    rpm -e [pkgname]

Is there an rpm for mplayer? I thought they had a policy of no binary packages?
    i code therefore i am

Thanks Topos..... Likely the best bit of info I have gotten yet! I love the apt installer. It made things very easy.

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4

Originally posted by Eggs
    Is there an rpm for mplayer? I thought they had a policy of no binary packages?
    I don't know that they have that really going anymore. I know they used to raise hell when anything of the sort was mentioned. But seems they have developed a lot of runtime flaging into it and changed the attitude in their later doc's about the whole issue. So who knows what they are going for in the long run. Performance wise it may not be so much of an issue anymore, but I doubt (just like you, i'm sure) they will ever spend the time to release rpm's or hammer out spec files themselves.

Who knows anymore.
    http://dustsmoke.com/images/dustsmoke_logo.gif

Look at P.L.F. 's site. They have a nice collection of RPMs, including the last version of mplayer

RE: P.L.F.

P.L.F. seems to be Mandrake specific. He is using Redhat. I would definitively not recommand mixing rpms between distributions. It might work but most likely it will cause you an headache!