Arrow The Latest Team Icrontic Information Found Here

. . . All are welcome. Feel free to post as you may. Ours is a community, and you are part of it. . . .

Originally posted by [ic]shorty, (5/27/03 5:00pm)

UPDATE :

Here it is as it is right now.

1) Minimum 48 hours before anything re-appears. There is no way of making it sooner just so much to sort out.

2) There will DEFINITELY be a BIG time warp in the forums. Be prepared. Nothing after January will be there. A huge amount of reshuffling will have to be done my me before we can bring them back online.

3) If that restoration is unsuccesful. The outlook is bleak. It's a total restart. All articles will have to be reuploaded. All members will have to rejoin and everything will have to redone from scratch. That is a really painful and last ditch option. We are praying it won't get to that stage.

4) TBonZ has the whole teamicrontic site backed up. We can restore that as soon as the server is safe to use.

My gut says we won't get to that stage I think we have enough to get us started even if it's with a big time warp.

We are working away feverishly peeps. Hang in there a little longer ok?

-Dan (aka Shorty)
    Originally posted by Mediaman, (5/27/03 5:02pm)

*ahem* testing testing...is this on?....check check...sssssssssssssibalance....check check.....

Let me begin by thanking AMDMB for putting up with the riff raff I am so fond of...my fellow Icrontians. It is reassuring that this community can stick together when one of us has experienced a turn of bad luck.

Officially here is what happened. On the weekend our server was hacked. The initial damage assessment appeared to be a random site hack where the hackers changed our index.php file. This displayed a typical haxored splash page. I spent most of the day checking through the code and getting a few other bugs squashed and resecuring the server.

Then the bottom fell out.

I noticed the server beginning to really lag. Then it hit....like a white squall. Before I knew it our server was being used as a platform to attack other servers. In minutes our server provider disconnected us.

The hackers did not leave much in their wake. In their stupidity they destroyed 3 years, over 300 articles with millions of words. We are now assessing our state of backups and I cannot give you an assessment of what they are at this moment. I do have every article I ever wrote intact on my own drives. All is not lost.

We were running some pretty high traffic numbers in the last 3 months and I had to privelage to meet face to face with a lot of tech sites in New Orleans...including this one. You know what...none of them are green with 15 eyes and b.o. like we thought they were. lol They are really great people!

Was this a specific attack on Icrontic? I cannot say. It could be specific or it could just be random. Whatever the purpose it was an act of terrorism. The childish hackers can run away gleefully giggling to themselves at their superiority...only for the moment. The authorities will find them. We have the logs and tracks aren't hidden that successfully. It is in the hands of the authorities now. They have not realized that they will be caught. They have not realized that their random act of stupidity has affected a great many others.

To that end I cannot begin to contain my outright disgust with them. If their attack was aimed at a single individual they have succeeded in destroying a community...the individual was not touched. But the community will heal and it will continue.

They cannot succeed in anything else...so the try to succeed in hacking and even other hackers would be digusted at what they did. They are childish. They are impotent. They are insignificant...and their biggest contribution to the human gene pool would be to take themselves out of it.

Be patient with us. The next 24-48 hours will be our time to see if we can put back the pieces. Yes there may be a forum time warp. That cannot be helped. There are some key players that need to have answers for us to continue.

But continue we will.

I will do everything within my power and including my own credit card to put the main page back on line...breath life back into the forums...and provide a folding home for Team Icrontic to continue to challenge the leaders.

In whatever form...Icronticans will have a home again. I have some incredible people with me on this problem and I have some incredible staff members to help us continue. I point the spotlight to Shorty and Prime who have stepped up with capes billowing in the wind. They look odd in blue and red tights but my god...how they have stepped up to help. I would not be able to do this without them.

All Icrontic staff members: I do have all of your email addresses and I will group email all of you with the ins and outs by Wednesday or Thursday.

Be patient. I know 24-72 hours is forever in website time...but I will do everything that I can to provide you with a home.

I thank AMDMB for their patience and their help. My deepest respect and heartfelt thanks to you.
    Last edited by BuiesCreek847; 06-01-2003 at 09:18 PM.

Originally posted by Mediaman, (5/28/03 4:34pm)

Can everyone hear me okay? How 'bout you there...in the back...with the Delta fan? Yes...you...turn the damn thing off.

*ahem*

Fellow Icrontians,

You may feel like a ship in the fog at this moment but we are out there and will guide you home again. My credit card is getting a little warm at this moment but a promise has been made to give you a home.

You have my word.

There has been a tremendous amount of activity. Phone calls have been made. People are stumbling out of bed. Nobody is being allowed to sleep. There are a lot of people working on this and for that they have my absolute gratitude.

It's simply amazing.

I made a promise to you. Shorty made a promise to you. Prime made a promise to you. We are dumping personal money faster than a drunk with a fist full of fities in Las Vegas. We are sticking by you and we would appreciate your patience...just a few days more. We need time and we need you.

We have a committment to you because you were the heart and soul.

Icrontic Staff members.

Expect email from me Thursday night.
    Last edited by BuiesCreek847; 06-01-2003 at 02:49 AM.

Contact / what's going on links/info;

mmonnin wrote on 05-29-2003 06:40 PM:

Team Icrontic, home away from home

Icrontic for Sale at Ebay

Addyboy.com Discusion

DigitalFerret.com Discusion

Folding Community

Privite Team 93 Forum at the Folding Community. (Need permission to enter. PM TBonz for permission.)

Public Team 93 Thread at the Folding Community.

m_monnin03@hotmail.com <- Check several times a day
    m_monnin03@hotmail.com for MSN Messenger
    m_monnin03@yahoo.com for Yahoo Messenger
    mmonni03 AIM - not misspelled
    165893712 - ICQ
    irc://irc.gamesnet.net/team-icrontic - IRC
    Last edited by BuiesCreek847; 05-29-2003 at 09:30 PM.

Originally posted by Mediaman 5/30/03 am

*A very tired MM drags himself to the podium*

Would someone please pick Shorty and Prime off the floor please? Nobody said they could sleep.

So...here we are. The new site will go live soon enough and it would not have happened without the efforts of some pretty talented people.

It would also not have been possible without AMDMB.com. I am simply, absolutely, incredibly amazed at how they have housed us without worry or complaint. That is true community spirit.

So we go live soon...What happens then? Do walls go back up between sites? No...most certainly I 100% encourage our readers to read other reviews and visit other forums. AMDMB has shown integrity and class and they have always been on my reading list.

Be sure to visit us and them all the time.

When do we go live? I can accurately say...next week...early...but this is a baby and any father knows...babies sometimes come early...sometimes a little late. So...in a nebulous way...as early as Monday...as late as Friday...but next week for sure.

Our coders have three of us breathing down their neck like ravenous hyenas....I have 100...maybe 150 articles yet to upload...(copy paste copy paste...bathroom break...copy paste)

Prime is revving up the server like a mechanic at Indy and Shorty? He's acting like a gerbil in the middle of a freeway...I don't think he's slept in 5 days. He's a bit skittish at the moment. lol

On the issue of the former Icrontic and Icronticforums.

I managed Icrontic for a long time in web years. Keith "Mortin" Whitsitt has always supported me 110% and I would not be what I am right now...without him. He and I may part with the demise of Icrontic but we part as friends and he has my respect.

On the issue of EBAY and other such mutterings.

What was Icrontic is gone. What was Icronticforums is gone. Three of us made a committment to provide a home to the membership of Icrontic and we will uphold that. Gladly. Whatever you may read in other forums about EBAY or anything else like that is no concern of mine. I am not interested in Icrontic V2.0 or IcronticForums V2.0. There may be many comments from others on this issue and most of those comments...both negative and positive are from people that I do respect and some I'm even lucky enough to call friend.

Thank you....

PS: I actually took two hours off last night and went to the premiere of Finding Nemo...if you liked ICE AGE (Pixar)...you'll love this.
    Last edited by BuiesCreek847; 05-30-2003 at 04:49 AM.

Originally posted by FoldingAddict
    I don't suppose we can use our IC folding sigs here? ~FA
    Yes you certainly may! And be proud of it!
    Last edited by BuiesCreek847; 05-31-2003 at 02:27 AM.

Originally posted by General Keebler

I am very interested in finding and resurrecting the former F@H milestone STICKY that was posted in the main folding forum. Here is how to help:

If you think you may have viewed that thread since the last time you emptied your temporary internet file folder, please take the following steps:

1) Open IE and choose Tools -> Internet options
    2) In the Temporary Internet files box, click "settings"
    3) Set it to check for newer versions of pages "NEVER"

4) Go to your temp internet file folder and look for files starting with "showthread.php" that are listed in the icronticforums domain
    5) Open the files in new windows to see what threads they are

IF YOU FIND THE MILESTONE STICKY, PLEASE SEND IT TO ME: russeml2NOSPAM@juniata.edu (minus the NOSPAM of course).

Finding that thread would be a huge symbolic gesture to getting the team on a solid footing again. Thanks for the effort everyone!

Originally posted by [ic]prime
    IMPORTANT UPDATE:

There is critical information to be found at the following URL:

http://www.short-media.com

Don't expect any miracles. The server is being staged today, and will be down for several hours. It may or may not work.

Originally posted by [ic]prime (6/01/03 7:18pm)

Hey everybody.

Here's an official update from the short-media team:

First of all, I want to sincerely thank everybody here from the bottom of my heart for your patience, faith, evangelism, and offers of monetary donations. To that end, may I ask that you PLEASE not send anybody any monetary donations. We are doing this as a labor of love. We are doing this for you guys. Icrontic was our home too, and not only do we miss the site, we miss the people. We miss you guys! Yes, money is being spent right now, but to be perfectly honest, we don't care. This is bigger than money for us. So if you really want to help out, just keep doing what you've been doing: Find former members, let them know what's going on, and get the word out. You guys contribute to the forums and that's the most important thing to us.

Second, A GIGANTIC THANK YOU to BuiesCreek and the AMDMB.COM forums. Your absolute selfless giving and your total carte-blanche approach in housing our wayward friends is completely amazing. It is a rare group of people that would do something like this. This moment will go down in internet history as kind of an "ultimate peace offering".. With this kind of a start, I know that amdforums.com and short-media.com will always be friends. Thank you so much.

Third, as to a launch date. As you may or may not know, we got sort of fudged over by Airborne Express. I was expecting emergency parts which Dell sent out for Saturday delivery to my office in Detroit, and I waited from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM EST at my office and they never showed up. That means I will get the parts tomorrow (monday). We still have to do some more coding, more testing, and actually relocate the server to the datacenter before we are live. We are very optimistically hoping for a Wednesday launch, but this Airborne Express debacle is a major setback. I apologize.

We have an unbelievable team working around the clock (literally) to bring you guys home. There are coders around the globe: Friends, forum regulars, former icrontic.com staff members, and even a few new faces, all working like mad to finish this up. I don't remember where I read it or who said it, but someone said "creating a brand new site from scratch is impossible in this kind of time period".. Well, they didn't count on the absolutely amazing team of people that we have. We are the luckiest group of people on the web, I swear it.

So, thanks again, hang in there, enjoy amdforums.com's hospitality, and get ready for the launch of our new home. It's going to rock.

-Brian
    Originally posted by Mediaman 6/01/03 7:37pm)

Prime said it all.

This is day 8 since the demise of Icrontic. There may be some who say that a new site cannot be coded and up on line in such a short amount of time.

We will do it.

Most of us have lost track of time. It seems like forever since the old site went down. Many former Icrontians may feel a little withdrawl but we are pursuing a mass HMO plan that will cover this.

I have received many offers of donations and each and every one is so very flattering. We are moved by the sentiment. This is our labor of insanity/love/obsession to provide former Icrontians a new home. Becoming a member and posting your hearts out is our reward...far beyond the offer of monetary support.

It is our deepest hope that we can grow from what was into something more and continue being a proud member of this community.

Internally, as Prime said, we were hoping for a Monday launch. Publically we said "this week" and we shall. Wednesday is the new target date and once the site goes live...I'll be uploading on the fly...The main page will grow each time you come to see it and by the weekend...

It'll be mass email time to the other review sites to continue the last section of the HEPC (home theatre PC) article which was cut short by the demise. It will be business as usual. Product is piled up around me and we'll be going full steam into new reviews, news and all that fun stuff. The forums will be open for business and you can say....

"I was there when it all began"

We sure hope that you will.
    Last edited by BuiesCreek847; 06-01-2003 at 09:17 PM.

Once again let me say; The Icrontic team members are welcome to use the folding forum for any folding problems, questions, etc., just like you would have used your own forum. We all do the folding thing together. So please feel free to post separate threads as needed. Together, we can all chip in to figure it out.

All the other boards are open to you as well.

Originally posted by [ic]shorty, (06/03/03 10:37pm)

Hello everyone

Well.. a few snuck in and registered on tonights special preview

Welcome to all of you

http://www.short-media.com/forum is now alive!

There are a couple of quick fixes to the SQL to do by TK.. and we are go .. hence the board being switched off until the morning.

In 8 hours.. it will be there.. and Il post the "official" go there post

w00tness!

-Dan aka Shorty (the man who never sleeps)

Originally posted by Mediaman, (06/04/03)

The paint has dried. The tarps have been removed.

Short-Media Forums are open for business

www.short-media.com/forum/

I'd like to thank AMDMB for housing our lost sheep while we constructed a new home. Errr...still constructing a new home. lol.

The forums are on-line and ready for business.