Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Cool The Ultimate Morrowind Thread - now up to Part 5!!

Well, by popular demand, here it is - thread number 5. Between the four previous MW threads there must be over 2500 posts, so it must rate just about the most posted-about game here.

I'm going to start on a new tack: when Elder Scrolls 4 eventually comes out, what would you like to see or not see?

For me:

1) NPCs noticing the time: they should sleep (behind locked doors) at night, and refuse to talk business.
    2) Food. You should get hungry, and hunger should make it difficult to do things as it gets worse.
    3) Children.
    4) NO MULTI-PLAYER!!!!!! (probably impossible anyway).
    5) Your final stats should be race-dependant, so (say) an orc could get to (unenchanted) strength 150, but only stealth 50 and intelligence 50 - you get the idea.

I'm sure I'll think of others, but in the meatime, what would you guys like to see?

M

Good Job Meridian.... I was around back when good old number 1 was started ... as were you.

Anyway... I kind of wish that the Multiplayer was an option. Not an INTREGAL part, but imagine how cool it would be to "quest" with your friends for new weapons and such that user-created plug-ins added.

Still a great story line much like Unreal was with at least a decent multiplayer option.

Other than that... I think the writers/scripters at Bethesda are pretty much as good as it gets.
    MY RIG:

Fx60
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    2GB OCZ DDR 3200
    2X7800GTX
    AUDIGY 2
    120GB Seagate Barracuda
    SONY DVD
    TDK CDRW

Here's my wishlist for Elderscrolls 4:

1) As with Meridian, I wish that they would create NPC's that act like humans do, instead of just sitting in the exact same place all night long. Sleeping, wondering, interaction with other NPC's...this would create a much more life-like world.

2) A graphics engine that will look great and actually get constantly over 60 fps. If Unreal 2 can do it with graphics like that, we know that Elderscrolls 4 can too.

3) A better combat system. I mean, I enjoyed fighting, but it could have been much smoother and more enjoyable. It just needs a little tweaking I believe.

4) No annoying enemies like the birds in the first one, it only took me a week of hacking at those things before I downloaded the patch that makes them not attack.

5) A faster default walking speed, once again, it only took me a couple days of crawling around before I changed it in the construction set.

6) More gold on certain NPC's.

7) A little harder end boss.

and finally...

8) Game cinimatics that don't look like they were crafted 8 years ago.

It may seem like a long list, but these are just simple improvements. Morrowind is, to this day, one of my favorite games.

-Bohonkie

Put yer paws where I can see 'em...pussie

hey, cool! Yknow, I never realized there werent any children in MW...I just didnt miss them. Then you could be a real cold blooded killer, or a Freddy Krueger type of guy by icing the kids too

Anyway, I agree with you guys, on everything. Gimme some more stability and frames! tweak the fighting a bit...I especially agree with Meridian's idea for species based limits...
    MOLE!!!

Cool

I still say no multiplayer: you'd just end up with the morons that plagued the Battlenet servers for Diablo2 and created mayhem. For every person who wanted help in question there would be three idiots trying to kill you to nick you gear.

Combat system. Hmmm. After playing (and liking) Severance, I first thought that a more "special moves"-type combat system might be good. But the more I play the game, the more I like the current scheme: for those of us with no co-ordination or reflexes it means that it's training that counts, not reflexes - in fact, much like real life. Yes, it's dull after a while, but the combat is only a small part of the game. I kinda like it now.

Walking speed. Yea - it probably needs a bit of tweaking, but not much. Running with high athletics is plenty fast enough though. But I can see why the dev team set it the way they did. Remember - if you are an athletic type then you move plenty fast enough, even at the beginning. If you are NOT athletic, then it's only fair that you are pretty slow.

Cliff racers? Yea - kill them all.

Yes, all the vendors should have more gold. There really isn't anything to be gained be overdoing the "wait" trick to get max value for expensive gear.

As to the bosses, it might be interesting to level them if your level is over a certain minumum. Thus DU is level 35 if you are up to level (say) 30, thereafter he is always five levels above you. Can't be that difficult to code.

M

Question

While you guys ruminate and brainstorm (Bethesda monkeys... you listening?) about Elder Scrolls 4, I'm feeling a renewed need to actually get through Morrowind. During my last game, I got to the point where I realized that my decision to allign with Telvanni was a poor one for my class (I was an Altmer Agent); I was pretty far along but the realization was wearying and I set the game down for too long.

That was a few months ago, and now I want to start over rather than pick up the pieces.

I was a Bosmer Bard the first time I played.

Then the Altmer Agent.

Seems whatever I start up as next should also be allertative, no? Like an Eritrean Engineer? Or a Javanese Jet Pilot? Or a Canadian Cartographer?

I guess it doesn't have to be. Anyone want to suggest a new race/class for me?
    Barton 2500+ 333FSB
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    1 gig Crucial DDR PC2700
    Western Digital 60g 7200 rpm EIDE Master
    Seagate Barracuda 40g 7200 rpm EDIE Slave
    430w Antec True Power PSU

Orchish Outlaw maybe? shouldnt have much trouble beating the ish outta folks from a fairly low level on in.
    MOLE!!!

Heir is offline Looting and plundering...
    I agree with M about the No multiplayer...as this game is so big, making it multiplayer would only cause it to become a MMORPG.

As for the combat, it was cool to be able to train and all, but I think the combat system could be made to look a little better than hack and slash.

For NPC's....God, please make them aware of time. Have them wear different clothes based on seasons (yes, there should be more noticible differences in the seasons). Also, give them more than 5 things to say out loud...I got tired of always hearing the same thing when I walked by a guard "Keep Moving". Also would be nice if the AI pathfinding was a little better.

That's it for now. Welcome #5. =)
    Heir:

Kt3 Ultra ARU
    Athlon XP 1900 @1.75
    1Gig Samsung pc3500 ddr CAS2
    Radeon 128meg 9700 pro
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Netgear 10/100 NIC

Well, I haven't played MW or Tribunal in quite some time, but..

- Challenging enemies, and I do mean challenging. Enemies that even the cream of the crop think twice about before going in head-on. I played the game with the difficulty at 100 and wasn't very impressed with how easy it is to kill everything after you become "so strong." No real threat of dying.

- I like the food idea, and perhaps based on your race different "native" foods will be more appetizing and replinish more.

- Multiplayer? Doesn't bother me that there isn't any, and the modular based system is very nice when it comes to having additional gameplay so it doesn't strike me as much of an issue.

- Aging/Maturing. Being that the game keeps track of how many days, it'd be interesting if you "grew." It wouldn't have to be a slowly progressing process, but something that made you advance in size/appearance every X amount of days. This could also provide the option of making certain items/equipment only available to certain aged players. NPCs and other characters could also react to you different depending on your age. Granted, this is probably something that is entirely too unrealistic to include.

- Sets of armor that are very difficult to attain. Stuff like a complete Daedra set aren't easy to come across, but other sets of armor that say only have 1 occurence of each piece in the game would be cool. There's only 1 place to find the 1 helmet, and so on and so forth -- until you have a complete set. Just, really rare stuff, and not something that you'll easily stumble across.

I'm sure there's lots of other stuff, but I'm pretty tired.

mlochre, if u wanna make a good char thats challenging the best ive come up for numberous reasons is a melee/archer/rouge with no magic skillz apart from enchant (non exploited, non permenent) which is a cool skill as u dont need to keep using a magic skill u normaly dont tend to use much and it does every magic/healing skill about also no need for mana (put it into primary skillz), to get points onto speed hand to hand is the way to go also putting a point onto luck every time u lvl keeps ur stats ballanced (good stat to have btw). Exploiting game features that unballance ur charecter like lvl'in up 5 points per stat per lvl ect ruins the progressive ballance of the game a little, not using daedric gear and relying on those non permenent enchant buffs from enchanted gear/home made scrolls adds a new dimention to the normal hack and slash affair aswell

on charecter creation think what factions u want to be in before u make a charecter, what skillz u will use alot (not what sounds a good idea to have) if u need to use that skill more than others put them into ur primary skillz columb, and if u can get the buffs on the birth sign from enchant pick something that's a buff u would'nt normaly have theres only 3-4 of them

maybe a few idea's for a good char for u in there :P

on multi

Multi ES could work btw they just need me to help them make it j/k i could give examples but there mostly hybrid/concept idea's and it'd take me ages to right it down, and no it doesnt involve something along the lines of i, need, a, person, who, has, 1 million, septims, who, lives, in, my, house, that, i, can, sell, rubish, to, so, i, can, power, lvl, really, fast. they tend to be a little more complex than that and would work in symphony with other concept idea's to bring about a well ballanced enviroment for all thats challenging and not boring

Cool

I knew there was something else: NPCs who are more aware of how imposing you are. It could be based on something simple like level, but it annoys the h*ll out of me when some level 10 NPC attacks my level 48, AR360, strength 144, character shouting; "I'm going to enjoy this!" Sure, but not as much as I'm going to.....

M

I definitely like the idea of more lifelike NPC, having a daily routine at least, Gothic did this and made it much more believable. And including kids and older characters would make it more realistic. I would also like to see, call me strange, but a much larger world. The island was big, but once you got to the upper character levels, it was actually pretty small. i would like to see it 10 times as large
    Compaq Presario ML-34
    1.8G AMD Turion64
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
    512Megs RAM

Gaming as I go...

Heir is offline Looting and plundering...
    Oh yeah, definitely need to show your character change throught the game. Perhaps if you're injured, you show some wear and tear? beat up armor looking dented and dull? How about when you have a disease? Oor, stuff like when you start out, you're not very strong looking...but when your strength goes up, you slowly become more muscular...or if you're more stealthy, you don't make as much noise.

They need to work on the stamina thing as well. You shouldn't be able to jump and run around so easily when your fatigue meter is empty.
    Heir:

Kt3 Ultra ARU
    Athlon XP 1900 @1.75
    1Gig Samsung pc3500 ddr CAS2
    Radeon 128meg 9700 pro
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Netgear 10/100 NIC

Cool

Yea - should be more like stamina in Diablo2: you can still move, but you can't run.

I'd also like to see the Nethack idea (pinched from AD&D probably) of scrolls that increase the potency of armour and weapons. The should not be available in shops, just on the corpses of people you kill. And you'd have to get them quick before the owner used them.

I think enchantment needs toning down a bit though because it unbalances the game. If you are going to have enchantments that powerful then you need bigger nasties.

M

Oh yea.. I definitely want to see better support for marksman characters. The bow was somewhat lacking.
    Compaq Presario ML-34
    1.8G AMD Turion64
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
    512Megs RAM

Gaming as I go...