Linux vs my file server

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get Linux on my file server.

Most of the hardware has run fine under Linux, except for the NIC (I'll list my h/w config).

So far I've only been able to try Mandrake 7.1 and 8.2, and both are unable to get into the actual setup of the OS. 7.1 stops after detecting the memories, and 8.2 stops after detecting the hard drive partitions.

System that supposed to be installed with Linux:

Asus A7V (KT133) rev 1.02, BIOS 1011
    Duron 1.2GHz
    512MB PC133 (2x 128MB, 1x 256MB)
    Hercules GeForce 2 MX AGP 32MB ThermalTake Blue Orb
    SoundBlaster 16 PCI
    4-port USB 1.1 card with Lucent chip
    Netgear FA-311 (is this card even Linux compatible, and with what kernel?)
    Western Digital 18GB HDD
    Maxtor 20GB HDD
    2x AOpen 48x CD-ROM
    Sparkle 300W PSU
    Vantec CCK-6027D
    ThermalTake Volcano 7 fan (on case)

I am using the onboard ATA100 controller with this system. Both HDD's are plugged into the this controller on separate channels. Both CD-ROM's are on separate IDE channels as well.

Currently, I've got WinXP Pro on this system, but I feel that I might gain a better capacity running it with Linux. I've gotten Linux on this system before when I'd purchased it initially back in 2000, and Linux ran fine. I've run Windows 2000 and XP Professional on this system flawlessly, so you can probably understand that I'm a little boggled as to why I'm not getting anywhere.

I'd try a different version or distro of Linux, but since I'm currently lacking in a high-speed connection and don't want to buy something I'm not sure will work, I need a little help here.

The kernel in Mdk 7.1 is unable to manage the promise controler. It started only with the 7.2. You should give a try to 9.0 or 9.1, at least, as the kernel is more reliable with this chip.

If you really want to use this distro, have a look here it worked for me with Mdk 7.2.

I never could have a netgear or D-Link card working in any way with this rig. I was stucked to a crappy realtek 8029 10Mbit. I could only use in the 2d slot, so it shared the same IRQ as the promise controler. SBLive in 3rd slot with dedicated IRQ5 in Bios. That was the only way I could have a working USB.

Mdk 8.2 didn't accept DVD or CDR drives on the promise controler. You must set it up with only HDs on the promise controler, and set it to boot from there in the Bios. Devices will be hde,hde,hdg, hdh. Put Lilo on /dev/hde
    Last edited by OldFrog; 05-30-2003 at 05:33 PM.

I've got a host of NIC's I can play with, and I may have to stick it out with that pos Realtek NIC. I guess I'll pop that Netgear in my main box and go drop some cash on a 3COM or Intel NIC one of these days.

I've got both hard drives on the Promise controller and the CD-ROM's on the Via 686A southbridge IDE controller.

I kinda figured 7.1 didn't support the Promise controller.

Did you have the setup get past the commandline portion at the beginning when you installed mandrake with the Netgear NIC?

I got a kernel panic because I couldn't have a spare IRQ fpr the netgear or the D-Link.

See the howto to know how to detect your controler addresses, and when booting Mdk, at the first screen, type [F1] and type the command

linux ide2=0x9400, 0x9002 ide3=0x8800, 0x8402

(See syntax in the page http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/ )

Hey, thanks. I'll try that out here and see what comes of it.

--edit--

That didn't work, but pulling that FA-311 card did wonders. ATM, I'm setting up the disks with the XFS file system and see what comes of it. I'll try popping in my different NICs once I've installed Mandrake and see if I can skirt around using that Realtek NIC.
    Last edited by Big B-man; 05-31-2003 at 02:42 AM.