Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Guide to applying Shin-Etsu G751

Quote Originally Posted by GBR
    The newer formulation X23-7783D is noticeably easier to apply than G751.

>>>>>>>>>>>
    100% agreement here.
    Much MUCH easier to apply than G-751.

If anyone has been discouraged from trying Shin Etsu in the past because of it's
    tacky properties, and problematic application, the new formula is for you.

Lately I've been experimenting with a dfferent application technique where you
    cloud both surfaces with the paste instead of spreading a thin layer on the heatsink.
    If anyone is interested in reading more on this please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Susquehannock
    Lately I've been experimenting with a dfferent application technique where you
    cloud both surfaces with the paste instead of spreading a thin layer on the heatsink.
    If anyone is interested in reading more on this please let me know.
    Only if it gives really good results.

Sure, tell us more.

I put a dab on and spread it with a cut down pc of soft plastic. Always goes
    smooth. The 7783D works great for me. In fact that's all I use anymore.
    Thanks again for the supplying the product, GBR.

Quote Originally Posted by no2guncntrl
    I put a dab on and spread it with a cut down pc of soft plastic. Always goes
    smooth. The 7783D works great for me. In fact that's all I use anymore.
    Thanks again for the supplying the product, GBR.
    My pleasure!

Paul

agreed! anxiously awaiting my.... damn cant remember how many i have bought now.. thermal paste sticks... up so people can see how to put this stuff on

what about how to apply this to an IHS for those of us without a bare core?
    AMD Opteron 170 *Naked* CCBWE 0543TPMW 2.8Ghz (280X10) / DFI UT NF4 Ultra-D / eVGA 7800 GT CO BIOS Modded to 1.5v - Swiftech MCW55 / 2GB OCZ Platinum EB 3-3-2-7 1T / Sound Blaster X-Fi / Swiftech Apex Kit with Storm G4 / OCZ Powerstream SLI 600W PSU / Plextor 716SA SATA DVD Burner / 74GB SATA Raptor 10K rpm / 250GB SATA Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 / Thermaltake Armor / Samsung 940B DVI / Logitech MX1000

Quote Originally Posted by Budwise
    what about how to apply this to an IHS for those of us without a bare core?
    I use the same application technique

Question Re: Guide to applying Shin-Etsu G751 for New Heatsinks?

Okay I've read this theard multiple times trying to get some more understanding on the application but i'm still struggling with it. I bought a Swiftech MCX462-U similar to the MCX462+ , a 80mm Vantec Tornado, and some Shin Etsu G-751. Now I want to apply the G-751 but not on my stock cooler but on my Virgin Swiftech MCX462-U but there's no guidelines on how to put it on a brand new heatsink.

I don't want to mark on my cooler with a pen or sharpie but i was thinking myabe put a little of my old grease or G-751 on the core of my AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and make a light mark on the Heatsink then mask it off and apply it according to the guide. Good idea? any input would be nice because my stock cooler is slowly dying thanks for any help

-WWNSX

I think a little white grease on the 4 corners of the CPU would do the trick and then use post-its to mark off the rectangle on the heatsink. Then you could use the technique described in this thread.

Or...you could simple warm up the heatsink and the X23-7783D and apply the compound to the CPU only, using the 'apply dots of compound and flatten with a plastic card' method.

X23-7783D is fairly easy to apply so I see no problem doing it that way.

G751 is a litle trickier to work with, so it would need a thorough heating before applying to the CPU, but it still can be done.

After the many small dots have been flattened, I recommend putting a larger dot the size of a BB in the center of the CPU [ like the AS5 method ] and rub a thin fog of compound into the warmed heatsink in the approximate locatrion of CPU contact.

This way the air will be driven out.

Make sure to run the computer right after the heatsink is attached and after a few minutes to confirm the installation give the PC a good work out to heat the CPU.

Thanks GBR I'll try those tips as well as the others and probably print them out to read while i do this. I'll let ya know how it goes.

-WWNSX

Update 3-8-2006

Okay Well I followed GBR's Advice and Jah Warriors Guide. I found it easier to warm up the Shin Etsu G-751 on my Computer Monitor then a TV since I'm using my computer more.

Okay Since I had the AMD Stock Cooler my system was running at close to 58 C sometimes with a mild OC of around 75Mhz on my AMD Athlon XP Barton 2800+. After Putting on The G-751 on a brand new Swiftech MCX462-U with a Vantec Tornado my Temps Dropped to 28 C Idle in Bios and About 30 C in Windows XP Pro with the system doing nothing. Right Now It's at about 32 C with me just using firefox...Man this is Awesome

the Only Problem is that Speed Fan Will not control The Vantec Tornado even though i have the fan connected to the CPU Fan Header. anybody know a work around? Huh...I can't Hear you...... .

Update 3-9-2006 Well now i Know that i can't only Control this Fan through the Power Connector which kind of sucks because not my options for buying a fan controller are going to be very limited to which one can handle the power draw from this fan. I'm going to probably have to get the Vantec ones. So much for putting a Pci Card in to control the fans

-WWNSX
    Last edited by WWNSX; 03-09-2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Adding more info

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=437823

New batch of 100 tubes of Shin Etsu X23-7783D. Enough people asked for more so I ordered another batch.

See the above link for more info.

Please consider my request to order two tubes minimum @$7.00 each. Prices have finally gone up.

email and Paypal at blueskybasin AT gmail DOT com

Thanks!

Paul