Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More SCO Garbage

Aparently SCO has given IBM untill midnight on Friday to reach a settlement or they are going to revoke IBM's UNIX license, this means that every business that uses AIX will be breaking the law... thats rough.

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle....toryID=2915659
    i code therefore i am

Everyone suspects that IBM feels that they are so strongly in the right and likely to win the case, that they may grant indemnity to their customers. I think that means that IBM may shield their customers from legal liability, making IBM responsible.

Tobyus is offline I can't think of anything
    So does SCO actually own the intellectual rights to Unix? For some reason I thought it was decided that Novell only sold SCO licenses and not the intellectual property rights.
    eVGA Geforce 6800GT
    Western Digital 74 GB 10k rpm
    Soundblaster Audigy
    520w Aspire PS

Everything I've read says that SCO actually owns the rights. They are sueing Apple for saying that OSX has a UNIX base... they say they own the word UNIX too.
    i code therefore i am

Do they own my guitar too ?

I wonder if Al Gore is going to come down on everybody for using the internet he invented. Ya never know do ya...

Doesn't matter much though does it. The farmer rings the bell and the cow goes "Moo". Now if the farmer rang the bell and all of the cows circled about and pressed him do you think the farmer would go "Moo"?
    Closed Source, Closed Minds ---> Open Source, Open Minds

MAIN RIG
    Booting: Fedora Core 3, WinXP Pro
    Motherboard - MSI KT6 LSR
    AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2800+ (Thermalright AX-7 HS)
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR
    Radeon 9700Pro (Gigabyte Maya II) with Zalman ZM80A-HP

Linux Servers: Alexandria, Cairo, Zanzibar, Madagascar

Microsoft Test Servers: Bishop, Rook, Knight, Pawn
    (running atop virtual pc on xp machines)

I thought these guys http://www.unix.org/ where on Apples back. Anyways, it almost ten years since Novell sold the System V code to SCO and Linux was around back then (without IBM support but still) so I hope the courts just go na-ah, if you havent acted before you can sit there and cry you fools!!

Theres a law in sweden that works like that when it comes to debts, not sure it would apply to this case. But if you are legaly passive with people that own you money that means that you dont really care.

Navin you dont know many farmers do you? Sorry, just had to

IBM argue that their licence is irrevicable

My comparison was taking into account that very few of us do know any great detail about cows and was based on a stereotyped view that the unwashed of us have about farm life.

The point was that some people with greater designs on controlling what the rest of us perceive as being real do a great deal of cause and effect. Most people get caught up in the "cause" and don't examine the "effect" enough to see who benefits by it most and there you will find who really instegated the "cause". A clever man (or evil, take your pick) would find a patsy more than willing to create the "cause" and let him suffer the ramifications or fight the battle. The farmer rings the bell and the cow goes "Moo".
    Last edited by navin; 06-13-2003 at 11:48 PM.

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

My comment was a joke.

Anyways lets see if I follow you here. You're saing that billy talked sco into suing IBM to hurt linux?

Originally posted by bonso
    My comment was a joke.

Anyways lets see if I follow you here. You're saing that billy talked sco into suing IBM to hurt linux?

I'm thinking that there will be attempts to get everybody caught up in this dance of the lawyers and in the process the desired effect will be reached for those that got the ball rolling. Do I think that MS would do something to kill their competition? Its not like they have done this before is it? Linux has presented a unique problem for them though wich requires a unique solution to that problem and different from their regular manuvering. Each to his own though.

I used to work with this gentleman who, every time a tour would go through, would run out and start working the knobs controlling the equipment doding here and there and after a few minutes would back up, wipe the sweat off of his head, and go "Whew..!". Many a time the people in the tour would applaud him but they never realized there was nothing wrong in the first place. They really thought he had done something. THEY DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER.

I think a lot of the time we, as citizens of whatever country your from, play the roll of the cow. If a man with his sight said to a blind man "Look, there is a mountain over there." and the blind man said "I don't think so because I cannot see it." who would be right? Reality is a subjective thing isn't it......

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

Old frog-

navin- Lets hope there is no music at the dance of the lawers.

How many people have posed the question "Did SCO copy Linux/GPL code for their Unix OS?" Would be easier for their code to match wouldn't it.

A thief goes about accusing and judging all day. An honest man bears his burdens and follows his own conscious.

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

Yeah, I'm even getting tired of me posting in this thread. A quote from ZDNET:

As the battle escalates with SCO upping the ante--seeking more than $3 billion in damages for alleged copying of proprietary Unix intellectual property into Linux--deep throats in the IX biz (Unix, Linux) are talking and, as reported earlier, the word on the street is that several organizations--including IBM, Red Hat, Novell and the Open Source Initiative--are preparing a vigorous defense against SCO's patent infringement claims. Although I first considered Gartner's "limit Linux use" response to the suit to be an over-reaction, I'm beginning to reconsider--but not for Gartner's reasons. The final merits of SCO's case may not be what pose the greatest risk to Linux. The problem, insiders worry, will be time.

The link

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR