Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thumbs down Got screwed by WD RMA program

I am trying to set up a WD 120gig two drive raid setup. I got a bad drive 120gig WD SE from WD retail box, the drive is no good . Sent it back , now I have a year old refurbished 120gig drive that has three platters instead of two-retail box was the new fast-two platter drive. I already bought another retail box drive. Result , one old refurbished drive now three platter drive and one new two platter drives. WD cheated me out of one year now on the war because the drive is one year old and slower than the new model. How the hell can I raid these now mismatched drives. One slower than the other and different, I payed them good money and I am stuck with different drives that will slow down the raid and make failure a lot more likely. I see this is happen all the time and is WD way of cheating customers with bad second hand drives and screwing up their war. This is why so many people are having problems with raiding them- poor quality control-probly nothing wrong with the drives themselfs, WD screws them up with shody service

That's common, normally they will try to replace it with a comparable product size wise, not performance wise. And to add salt on the wounds, they send you some refurb. I've never gotten one of those from either of my 2 RMAs with Maxtor.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

I guess with WD you have to be very carefull what you buy. I have also dealt with maxtor and they are ten times better,only microsoft has treated me better and that is very high company. I bet WD latest 10,000 Drives will be a nightmare. I just got my refurbished drive form WD today. I was planning a raid zero setup, now Raid 1 looks better. I guess the only way I will know is to try them in both modes. Trying raid 0 First and if I have problems go to raid 1. Most likely the setup will work anyway,but I will lose some speed and failure rate will be increased, I see why people have problems with this 120gig model, and WD will not help you , I already called them. Only buy WD retail drives, other ones are junk-OEM-see newegg for many screwed people buying OEM junk from WD

I'm surprised MS treated you right. Normally they just take peoples' money and run.

Glad to hear.

Maxtor has treated me right on more than one occasion.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

I will agree that WD service is not top notch. The tech support team is also very poor especially when answering in depth technical questions, and correct me if im wrong, but isn't that what "tech" support is designed for.

To my knowledge, if you call their support number and ask to be transfered the SCSI support then they can ship a drive with matching firmware. You may have to be a little forceful and tell them it is for a business workstation.
    Main Beast: Alienware Style!!
    Antec SX-1040 w/400 Smartpower | Intel D865PERL | P4 3.0C Prescott | 1024MB Kingston PC2700 DDR & 400 Dual Channel | ATi X1650 PRO 512MB AGP | DUAL 74GB WD Raptors (RAID 0) | TDK indiDVD 420N DVD/CD Burner | Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical KB/MS | Zoom V.92 56K Modem | Samsung SyncMaster 932GW 19" Widescreen LCD 2ms Response | Vista Ultimate 32 bit | Will be replacing soon! |

Apple:
    Mac Mini (MC238LL/A) | Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz | 2GB | 160GB | OS X 10.6.2 / Vista Ultimate 32bit |

Laptop:
    Gateway 7405GX | AMD Athlon64 M 3700+ (Newark) | 2GB DDR | ATi 9600 Mobility Radeon | 100GB 7K100 Hitachi | 8x DVDRW/CDRW | 56k V.92 | 802.11g | 15.4" SB WXGA With "0" Dead Pixels! | XP Home SP3 / Vista Ultimate 32bit|

actually, i'm raiding 2 maxtor 80GB drives bought 5 months apart. they are different but i have no problems and still get 70-80+MB/s benches.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

If I were you I won't stand for it. Usually if it's a DOA (within 30 days of purchase) the manufacturer will replace the item with a new one. You should call the customer service department up and demand a new drive.

It's worth a shot, give them a call and see what they say.
    Last edited by Tomestone; 06-19-2003 at 01:07 PM.

Red face

I think your right I should send it back and get a new one, I am going to call customer service.

I think the store my take back this dud,going to try tomorrow.

They are supposed to send you a comparable drive. I would seriosly put the boots to them. Go all the way to the top if you have to, but that should not be acceptable. Maxtor has always been good to me. However, I RMA'd a 60gb drive and they sent back a drive that was refurbished and wouldn't even spin. I was so ticked off that I phoned Maxtor up and demanded a new drive. They sent me one . They explained to me that with new products you get a new drive replacement, but with 2yr old drives (which mine was) they send refurbs. They made an exception and sent me a new drive. Thats customer service. I would tell them that you are sending their drive back to them and that you want a new drive as the one that was defective was new.

WD sent me a 100GB drive with 2MB cache to replace my dead 8MB cache drive.

It took me MANY e-mails and headaches to get that straightened out. They tried to tell me I had a 2MB drive, which wasn't the case.

It was one of the first Special Edition drives from before the JB's existed.

B

Thumbs down

Wd customer service blows wind,but thier drives are good when you get a brand new one

Had WD been told the drive was from an array I would think they would have done the right thing, if it was just returned for replacement, that they did.

Remember that even if you bought the drive new, it could have been on the shelf since day 1 of their manufacture, they would be going from that date most likely, see the dealer it was purchased from.

I've had one WD JB die and while not in an array it was replaced with a brand new JB NP at all.
    PC sigs are for those with PC envy dissorder.

Originally posted by Terrorbyte

Remember that even if you bought the drive new, it could have been on the shelf since day 1 of their manufacture, they would be going from that date most likely, see the dealer it was purchased from.
    Maxtors warranty starts from the day you purchase the drive, not the day it was in the shop. Interesting- I was going to go with WD because of their three year warranty, but hell with that. I think that I will stick with Maxtor. They now only have a 1 year warranty, but at least they take care of you (I know, I have had four Drives RMA'd to them over the years)

I meant manufacture date not when it was delivered to the shop, many warranties go from DOManufacture not DOPurchase..

3 year warranty here now for WD.

Different companies, different countries, who knows ?
    Last edited by Terrorbyte; 07-03-2003 at 09:25 AM.
    PC sigs are for those with PC envy dissorder.