Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TI-83 Plus Calculator

Hi everybody!

I need a Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator for use in school. I have a couple questions about these, so anybody who is knowlegdeable on this topic, please help. I am not looking to buy one from AMDForums, so that is why this is not in the 'Hot Deals' forum.

1) What is the difference between the TI-83 Plus and the TI-83 Plus Silver? I have seen that the Silver editions are higher priced than the regular edition.

2) In stores, these calculators are about $100 each. Do you now of any places online where I can get them for cheap? They must be new, in a retail box.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1) "This easy-to-use TI handheld, compatible keystroke for keystroke with the TI-83 Plus, is ideal for the algebra classroom. It includes tools for geometry, statistics, finance and many other classes. Enhanced with more than 1.5 MB of FLASH ROM memory to store up to 94 Handheld Software Applications, the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition has an upgradeable operating system, several included Apps, 2 times the processor speed of the TI-83 Plus all in a cool, silver case. Use the TI-GRAPH LINKô cable that is included to connect to your computer to download Apps, games, data and more!

The TI-83 Plus Silver Edition is allowed for use on the PSAT, SAT I, SAT II Math IC & IIC, AP Chemistry exam, AP Physics exam, and AP Calculus exam."

2) $100 Is about right. The only place you might find'em cheaper is half.com or eBay.

Make sure you look beyond just TIs though. There isn't much free software for them IIRC.

CASIO makes a nice COLOR graphing calculator with more features (I think) than the 83SE (without considering addon features), and for about the same price.

HP has a 39G, which has a ton of features but is rather slow poked.
    Black out to Phantom Power

Originally posted by siyan
    Make sure you look beyond just TIs though. There isn't much free software for them IIRC.
    TICalc.org.

Originally posted by TitanMan
    TICalc.org.
    But theres more for a HP48/49

I like the new Casio Classpad300 though...looks like a palm-pilot and I think it RECOGNIZES PENSTROKES FOR NOTATION!

Originally posted by siyan
    What are you talking about? There is TONS of free software for the ti's.

www.ticalc.org get the assembly files, and get a shell so you can run them (Ion I like a lot, the mirage OS is kinda neet too and will work also)

It does require the graph link which I think is like $20, either that or just borrow programs from someone else by doing a direct transfer.

Playing 2 player tetris with the calcs are pretty fun. I did that a lot with some of my friends during my physics class because we couldn't understand a word he was saying he had such a thick accent, we just learned the stuff from the book.
    Last edited by clement; 06-25-2003 at 04:12 PM.

Originally posted by clement
    What are you talking about? There is TONS of free software for the ti's.

www.ticalc.org

It does require the graph link which I think is like $20, either that or just borrow programs from someone else by doing a direct transfer.

Playing 2 player tetris with the calcs are pretty fun. I did that a lot with some of my friends during my physics class because we couldn't understand a word he was saying he had such a thick accent, we just learned the stuff from the book.
    See previous post. Besides I did say IIRC...

bah, people post too fast. When I'm typing a reply(was busy talking and doing other stuff too) please wait till I'm finished first!

Heh...

As a HS math teacher, I can say without doubt that having an off-brand calculator does not make for a better experience in class, even if it's a better price/features. Those students who come to class with even a TI-89 as opposed to 83, or some HP or casio calcs, stop using them and borrow from the class set of 83's within a week usually. A few hang in there and learn their own calc, but it's an extra effort since the teacher is doing examples using the 83, the overhead plates are for the 83, the software and CBL's (calculator based labs) are for the 83. Get the idea? So for home schooling, sure thing get whatever brand you want! If you want the calc to be an easy tool and not a source of frustration in an already-challenging class, get what the teacher / professor recommends.

As for price, there is no way on earth I'd pay $100 for a calc. Do you live near a college? Go on campus and look for ads for people selling their calcs at the end of a semester. Check the free ad papers too, you can usually get a perfectly working 83 for $50-60.

Good luck,
    Bianca

edit: Oh, and don't get the silver edition unless it's cheap. The only added benefit is the software for geometry stuff, I believe. Capri maybe? I forget.

I have to have the TI-83 Plus, it is required for the class. Thanks for the other suggestions, though. The Casio color one would be good, but everyone in the class wil have the TI-83 Plus, and mine would have different keys, etc.

Right now I think I'll go with the Silver Edition. I saw a few well-priced ones on Yahoo stores. I'll check Ebay and Half, too.

Thanks for all you help and links!

Edit: You type too fast! 2 replies came when I was typing mine!
    Anyway, I might look for some used ones. There's colleges around here in Richmond, VA. I'll see what the prices are for the Silver edition. Might need it for geometry in two years. Year coming up is algebra, and after that is something, them Geometry.

I would definitely get the same calc. as the class because its already hard enough being 2-year accelerated!
    Last edited by gwhunt23; 06-25-2003 at 04:23 PM.

got on for you if you would like.

email me: thesource2@attbi.com

yeah, the ti-83 plus is pretty standard stuff, if you get something else, your gonna regret it, no matter how much "cooler" it is. still have my ti83+, never use it now, only time it was used was algebra2.

my sister had to have a ti-82 when she went to school, so i stole it from her for a while, couldn't afford a graphlink, so i would program it all by hand. i would look for sites with the assembly code typed out, print the code, and type it all out by hand. i completely hand typed around 30 printed pages of code.

i benefited from it though, i did learn most of the ti-82 programming language. that sorta helped me to grasp turbo pascal and turbo c++ this year in my programming class too.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Originally posted by BMXer
    yeah, the ti-83 plus is pretty standard stuff, if you get something else, your gonna regret it, no matter how much "cooler" it is. still have my ti83+, never use it now, only time it was used was algebra2.

my sister had to have a ti-82 when she went to school, so i stole it from her for a while, couldn't afford a graphlink, so i would program it all by hand. i would look for sites with the assembly code typed out, print the code, and type it all out by hand. i completely hand typed around 30 printed pages of code.

i benefited from it though, i did learn most of the ti-82 programming language. that sorta helped me to grasp turbo pascal and turbo c++ this year in my programming class too.
    No way that was assembly, TI basic more likely. You need to compile assembly on a computer and then send it to the calculator. THEN you need to also have a shell to run any of those files as the calculator won't be able to read the files by any normal means. Also if it helped you in pascal and c++ it more than likely was basic as assembly(for any processor) is quite a bit different than any of the higher level languages. Basic is much closer.

uh yeah, you knew what i meant.

sorry, i didn't brush up on my programming jargon.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Originally posted by Viola
    As a HS math teacher, I can say without doubt that having an off-brand calculator does not make for a better experience in class, even if it's a better price/features. Those students who come to class with even a TI-89 as opposed to 83, or some HP or casio calcs, stop using them and borrow from the class set of 83's within a week usually. A few hang in there and learn their own calc, but it's an extra effort since the teacher is doing examples using the 83, the overhead plates are for the 83, the software and CBL's (calculator based labs) are for the 83. Get the idea? So for home schooling, sure thing get whatever brand you want! If you want the calc to be an easy tool and not a source of frustration in an already-challenging class, get what the teacher / professor recommends.

As for price, there is no way on earth I'd pay $100 for a calc. Do you live near a college? Go on campus and look for ads for people selling their calcs at the end of a semester. Check the free ad papers too, you can usually get a perfectly working 83 for $50-60.

Good luck,
    Bianca

edit: Oh, and don't get the silver edition unless it's cheap. The only added benefit is the software for geometry stuff, I believe. Capri maybe? I forget.
    I can vouch (sp?) for all of that.