Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    I definetely don't have a problem with the chipset (look at the sig 9X240 and fsb 246 dual channel!!).
    Do you mean something else?
    ASUS P4P800
    P4 2.6@3.6
    Thermalright SP-94
    Mushkin DDR3500 Level II
    PSU: Q-TEC 550W
    VGA: Tyan 9800Pro-M (the good one!)

oh my bad, I didn't see that. keep the samsung then, heh. also, my pc2700 ram didn't need to bump the vdimm up any past stock to get 200 fsb. I think most of the ram sold is oc'ed anyway with the exception of samsung true modules. that's why I didn't bother buying pc3700 or 4000 of corsair/ocz. Again, just look at those timings. Btw, where you getting those samsung modules from? I'd like some too, if they are true pc4000 as I do like samsung also, I just couldn't find any

edit : dammit tristeno, the more I think about, the more I agree with you. (factoring in that my samsung ram just rocked too and it was true pc2700) I just read the reviews stating that the pc3500 was 4.5ns on ocz's own website. I still like the ram, but I DO wanna get what I paid for. Honestly, I'm starting to feel cheated too, blah, now I have to call them too.
    Last edited by Fareastgq; 07-24-2003 at 05:36 AM.
    Opty 165 X2 0550 @ 3 gigs 24/7!
    DFI ULTRA-D ADO (BIOS 623)
    Gskill HX pc3200, 2 gigs @ 278fsb
    Zippy 700/74gig Raptor / 250 gig WD
    Case = 7077 LianLi
    g5'd/PA120.3'd/RD20'd/3603'd
    HEAT = Fareastgq

hrm, just out of curiousity from this thread, I tested my ram at other speeds, ok, I couldn't get past the 230 mark either. Ponder... 4.5 ns chips. Anyway, I downloaded ADIA after that and it is recognizing my ram as 6ns ram?? I don't even get the 3200 recognition like some of you others have. When I hit the SPD icon, I don't even get anything, just a blank brownish area with 3 words in it, device descp/field/value.

Memory Module Properties
    Socket Designation A0
    Type DIMM, SDRAM
    Speed 60 ns
    Installed Size 512 MB
    Enabled Size 512 MB

that's what i get. is that anything? Now I wish I had some samsung ram to test.........
    Last edited by Fareastgq; 07-24-2003 at 06:45 AM.
    Case = 7077 LianLi
    HEAT = Fareastgq

They reprogram the SPD and possibly they dont want the true specs of memory to be shown, neither inserting specs that do not comply with the memorys true specs. If you see 6ns then your memory is ddr333. Just like mine!!! You are lucky you got to 230. Icouldn;t even get to 200!. The platinum memory i received yesterday was much better (see previous messages).
    ASUS P4P800
    P4 2.6@3.6
    Thermalright SP-94
    Mushkin DDR3500 Level II

hrm, freaking !@$^ , I guess I have to contact them now. And I think your right, I had to pump 2.9v to make it stable at 217 fsb.
    Case = 7077 LianLi
    HEAT = Fareastgq

Originally posted by tristeno
    Just to summarize the interesting opinions and new issues raised from the readers of this thread and my personal opinion:

"As long as the memory performs as expected I don't mind"
    Issues
    a) This was not the case in my situation. The memory did not run even close to specs even at single channel mode (tried each dimm alone). The nforce2 compatibility issue is just an excuse if you don't use dual channel mode. The compatibility issue with my mb running asynch due to the recognition of the mem as ddr333 was solved with a bios flash but the memory didn't run synch even at 200fsb. Let's leave this point behind because this could happen to anyone with any product.

b) If the memory was 4,5ns (as claimed by ocz) then running at ddr433 speeds would be within the expected specs for this memory. However running 6ns memory at these speeds is something I cannot accept. How long do you believe this memory would last? Is the "lifetime guarantee" a solution? How many times will I have to send my crapped memory back and wait for a replacement? (I still haven't received my replacement memory after 1 month).

c) and here are the ethical issues. This is definetely overclocked memory. Is it mentioned anywhere at OCZ site? Customers are not informed about this issue and because this could influence their final decision THEY SHOULD KNOW. Aren't you informed when you buy a turbo-charged car?

d) and finally there is the issue of trying to remove the original manufacturers labeling. Is there a reason for this? The heat spreaders are already doing a good job not revealing whats under them. Furthermore I don't know if you can make 4,5ns out of 6ns memory just by relabeling it.

These issues stand for all companies ofcourse and not only OCZ since from what I;ve seen this is common practice.
    Tristeno,

To address your concerns :

a) There will always be a small percentage of memory that is either damaged by shipping or static discharge. I really need to be clear that OCZ is not the only company prone to having a few RMAs or defective products that need to be replaced.

b) I am not sure why you think the memory is rated at 6ns? If you cannot accept running 6ns memory at ddr433, can you accept running ddr400 memory at ddr466 or ddr500? This is what Kingston and Corsair PC3700/PC4000 are, the PC3700 is Samsung DDR400 ICs, and the PC4000 are Hynix CAS3 DDR400 parts. Can you please e-mail me your RMA number and I will check with tech support on why you haven't received your replacement memory for so long, have you addressed this to our tech support department? Who did you speak to?

c) I want to expressely state that you are correct in saying we don't specify on all our pages the BOM used for building each product, mainly because the way we achieve production of our products are very different from someone else and this is seen to be information that isnt disclosed because of the ability of a competitor to "copy" it, but I also want to be clear in saying neither does any other manufacturer that competes with us. This thread really feels like you guys are singling us out here.

d) Please refer to the following link : http://www.ocztechnology.com/display...?name=chipmodi
    which was disclosed a few weeks ago detailing our procedure for EL DDR ICs.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to e-mail me at bhulinder@ocztechnology.com. Thanks.

Originally posted by Fareastgq
    oh my bad, I didn't see that. keep the samsung then, heh. also, my pc2700 ram didn't need to bump the vdimm up any past stock to get 200 fsb. I think most of the ram sold is oc'ed anyway with the exception of samsung true modules. that's why I didn't bother buying pc3700 or 4000 of corsair/ocz. Again, just look at those timings. Btw, where you getting those samsung modules from? I'd like some too, if they are true pc4000 as I do like samsung also, I just couldn't find any

edit : dammit tristeno, the more I think about, the more I agree with you. (factoring in that my samsung ram just rocked too and it was true pc2700) I just read the reviews stating that the pc3500 was 4.5ns on ocz's own website. I still like the ram, but I DO wanna get what I paid for. Honestly, I'm starting to feel cheated too, blah, now I have to call them too.
    Fareastgq,

Where in AIDA32 does the SPD say 6ns memory? Do you have a screenshot? It might be a misprogrammed module that you have. Also you guys need to realize Samsung has gone through quite a few DIE revisions, starting at A and we are now at F that is being sampled this July. Quality and overclockability varied greatly from each transition, as you may remember the very fast C revision samsungs, but when they migrated to D revision, the ability for the ICs to overclock high dissapeared. Also, were you using the samsungs you have in dual channel mode ( 2 modules ? ) as single channel mode is easier to overclock with.

Originally posted by snoopy
    Factor in that RAM that is "true" to the rating MIGHT clock even higher...whereas "rebadged" RAM has pretty much topped out.
    Snoopy,

Believe it or not, but from my experience testing thousands of modules over many different IC brands and pcb combinations and different BOMS, when you say "true" you mean what an IC manufacture would grade its IC to. If you were to buy Infenion, Nanya, Elixer 2 months ago I am sure you would have been greatly dissapointed in their PC3200 "5ns" modules. Some manufactures want to be as conservative as possible in their ratings, for instance winbond and samsung and now hynix, others top out the memory and rate it where its maximum might be, such as infenion 3200 and nanya 3200. Of course you need to take into consideration their respective manufacturing processes and die yields as well, for if you had a very high ddr400 yield, many would be packaged as 2700 as well to fill demand, but if you had a low yield, boarder line wafer peices might end up becomming 3200 and already be at their theoretical maximum.

Guys,

I'm sorry I won't be able to answer everyones question right away, but if you PM me or e-mail me I will get to it as soon as possible, I usually answer e-mails within a few hours. bhulinder@ocztechnology.com

"These issues stand for all companies ofcourse and not only OCZ since from what I;ve seen this is common practice"

To OCZ guy
    I believe i should have put the above paragraph of my remarks at the very begining just to clear any misunderstandings. I don;t have anything against OCZ but my problem was related to one of their products and I believe my complains should be directed to OCZ and not corsair, geil etc since I didn't ever use any of their memory.
    As for the 6ns speed mentioned doesn't B3 at the end of samsung memory imply 6ns?
    ASUS P4P800
    P4 2.6@3.6
    Thermalright SP-94
    Mushkin DDR3500 Level II

Honestly, I do like the ram and have nothing against the company, I know other companies sell oc'd ram too, just look at the crap timings (3 4 4 8 for pc 4000?). I don't see them stating it as somthing it isn't though. Other people have gotten sticks of pc3500 with 4.5ns chips which show up in ADIA, basically, I just want what i paid for, nothing more, nothing less. These sticks as I said, are only 14 days old, I CAN get a refund, I choose not to because I beleive ocz is a good company, if I didn't think so, I would have just refunded my sticks and got somthing else.
    Case = 7077 LianLi
    HEAT = Fareastgq