Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    nf7-s v2.0 bios 1.4

for the record the fsb was set at 217 at the time I ran AIDA.

either way its not really that big a deal, this pc3500 kit i have works above beyond its specification so thats all good

I would post a pic but my photoshop installation has gone mad too, I'm afraid all you have is my word on this matter.

I was thinking about tristeno's problem here, correct me if i'm wrong but did he just say he has switched to a new bios? could that have an influence on SPD not being detected correctly? I see no mention of his board model number or manufacturer, perhaps there are known issues? i dunno, but i spose its not that important if he has his RMA set up.

BTW that aida proggie is tha bomb, its the closest thing i've seen to an all in one system tool and ultimately who wants to opene a different proggie for every single thing you want to know or do?

Oh and Tritium, you have a PM, didnt want to go too far off topic
    Last edited by Jah; 06-27-2003 at 02:16 AM.

I didn;t try AIDA (how did I forget about it?). That would give me some clues.
    My MB is a Soltek 75FRN2-L and the only problem with the bios is that from rev1.1 they have disabled the option to manually select the memory/fsb ratio. This means that the board itself based on input from spd determines whether it should run synch or asynch (I suppose they had many RMA's for this simple reason). The problem with my OCZ memory was that it was recognized as ddr333 (fsb166) and as a consequence ran asynch at 200fsb!!!!
    I flashed to the original 1.1 bios and when synch the memory was unstable even at its labeled frequency.
    I will tell my friend to check with AIDA before RMAing
    ASUS P4P800
    P4 2.6@3.6
    Thermalright SP-94
    Mushkin DDR3500 Level II
    PSU: Q-TEC 550W
    VGA: Tyan 9800Pro-M (the good one!)

Originally posted by Spec3
    The OCZ pc2700EL ram uses 6ns ram

Look here. It's a table that shows what ns chips they use on which sticks of ram

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/semiconductors/

Steve
    Maybe the article was wrong...

And as long as you can RMA the stuff...

Killeroy.

tristeno, I tend to agree that your PC3500 EL might have -6ns chips. I have a friend who works for a mobo manufacturer and gets his OCZ for free. Over a phone conversation he mentioned how disappointed he was with his PC3500 non EL performance and I bet him that those chips on his module were -6ns chips. He laughed at first then decided to remove the spreaders, lets just say he wasn't laughing anymore. The chips read winbond -6ns chips, really PC2700. I can see selling this chips rated up to PC3200 but PC3500 thats a joke.

Just remember this was a early batch of the PC3500 and not EL.
    DFI LP UT, 3400+Mobile/10x260 512mb TwinMos SP utt ch5, BBA 9800Pro, 74GB Raptor, TDK, 510wt PCPower&Cooling, H2O cooled Dtek WWB, dual heatercore, XP sp2

Originally posted by RacerX
    tristeno, I tend to agree that your PC3500 EL might have -6ns chips. I have a friend who works for a mobo manufacturer and gets his OCZ for free. Over a phone conversation he mentioned how disappointed he was with his PC3500 non EL performance and I bet him that those chips on his module were -6ns chips. He laughed at first then decided to remove the spreaders, lets just say he wasn't laughing anymore. The chips read winbond -6ns chips, really PC2700. I can see selling this chips rated up to PC3200 but PC3500 thats a joke.

Just remember this was a early batch of the PC3500 and not EL.
    I was saying the pc2700EL had 6ns chips not the pc3500EL just in case you got confused.

I got a stick of the OCZ pc3500EL about 2 weeks after it came out and it had the 4.5ns OCZ chips on it. Are you sure your friend didn't get some fake ram that was pawned off as OCZ?

Steve

Red face

That is the only other thing I could think, but as a mentioned to the OCZ report and after looking carefully at other counterfeit memory these folks have done a great job. The modules are "identical" to original OCZ. I should have taken some pictures though. If they are counterfeit expect them to be at the first place at OCZ site with counterfeit modules!!!
    Just have to wait now. If they didn't give me an RMA number I would have taken the heatspreaders off immediately and all of this would be history
    ASUS P4P800
    P4 2.6@3.6
    Thermalright SP-94
    Mushkin DDR3500 Level II

Hi @ all,

I am also facing problems with my OCZ 3700 EL. I bought them about 2 months ago with my new Abit NF7-S ver 2.0 because I wanted to be sure that my memory would not hold me back in order to reach high FSB's.

After playing a little with the RAM, I could be stable @216 FSB Sync. I think that is not very good, I have seen a lot of people that go beyond 220 on this motherboard with crappier RAM.

At first I did not mind a lot but after reading this post, I think there might also be something wrong either.

Here is a picture of AIDA.

For example at 220 FSB, it will boot in Windows, but nothing will run , no pcmark, 3dmark.

Of course where I am now prime95 will not run, but since this is not a problem for me , I let it pass..
    Prometeia Mach2 + AMD64

to be honest it could be one of any number of things thats preventing 220+ fsb, I believe that those who are running at 225+ fsb's are using voltmods to get more juice into the Northbridge so as to get these mad fsb speeds.

Originally posted by Jah
    to be honest it could be one of any number of things thats preventing 220+ fsb, I believe that those who are running at 225+ fsb's are using voltmods to get more juice into the Northbridge so as to get these mad fsb speeds.
    Yeah it could be a number of things, however I have at least 3 friends who are running at 228DC with no mods at all out of the box. And with crappier RAM.
    Prometeia Mach2 + AMD64

ask one of your friends to test that ram for you in their rig if possible and conversely see if their ram will allow your rig to run at 220+.

Also it may be worth emailing ocz tech support, they are very helpful and there is every chance that they will be able to clear the matter up for you. They also have guides for different boards on their site that may just explain any issues.

heres the link for the OCZ NF7-S help page:- link

it doesnt actually mention 3700, and i had heard that the el 3700 is intended for P4 boards. (could be wrong there - my memory is a little vague)
    Last edited by Jah; 06-29-2003 at 03:36 AM.

As mentioned before there is a big difference in running at 244fsb with a piece of memory rated ddr400 (samsung) and not beeing able even to boot at 230 with a module rated ddr433 even at the most relaxed settings. I believe our friend with the pc3700 must be even more disappointed.
    One thing is for sure. I will never buy again memory with heat spreaders!!!!
    ASUS P4P800
    P4 2.6@3.6
    Thermalright SP-94
    Mushkin DDR3500 Level II

Tristeno ,

Yes I am disappointed, I was expecting a lot more from this RAM , it being the most expensive RAM available when I purchased it. I really do not think that it is my mb, I believe it is capable of more FSB without any mods.

I have sent an enquiry to OCZ tech support, I 'll see how it goes.

Greetings from pctech.gr

Trooper
    Prometeia Mach2 + AMD64

tristeno..

You stated.... Samsung DDR400 memory at a 246FSB synch

Please post a Link to screen shots of this. I'd like to see it.

Also, you are bashing the Soltek BIOS you are running. Why

aren't you using the "power BIOS" that is furnished by

Soltek that eliminates the asynch problems of which you speak.

Pops.
    ....i'm much too young to be this damn old....

....My Mail....

....My Heatware....

This is for Popcicle from a greek forum where I have posted the results. They are at 244 (I couldn't find the 246 with x9 multi but I can get some new ones)
    http://www.pctech.gr/viewthread.php?tid=6671&page=2

There is no problem if you want to run synch as long as your memory is recognised as ddr400 at least. Problems start when memory is recognised as ddr333 (this is where the early bios, or the oc one come handy).
    ASUS P4P800
    P4 2.6@3.6
    Thermalright SP-94
    Mushkin DDR3500 Level II

Update.
    A friend tested both memory at a Abit IC7 mb and had the same results! DIMM recognized as DDR333 with AIDA, and crapping at the early 200's FSB (even worse than mine). Didn't pass mem test at over 200fsb frequencies. I will have them back on Friday, just to RMA them and I will take pictures and post AIDA results.
    I will also try a mem test (which I didn't do the first time- I was very frustrated!) and see what happens. I am even thinking of removing the heat spreader of one dimm just to see whats underneath!!
    ASUS P4P800
    P4 2.6@3.6
    Thermalright SP-94
    Mushkin DDR3500 Level II