I'd really like to hear what you all think about this:

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=243
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Well, I'm disgusted.

We need more Ryans running websites.

Edit: I've certainly witnessed the decline in morals among lesser sites, but THG? It is just disgusting. :shakes head:
    Last edited by TitanMan; 06-28-2003 at 06:52 PM.

Thats heavy Ryan. Im amazed at the brazen attitude these guys exhibit. JimZ

Thumbs down

I agree that the whole situation is a bunch of crap...

I like to read as many reviews etc as I can on new
    products that interest me, which includes the
    Athlon 64 and I think it's shabby to give exclusive
    rights to one site, whoever they may be.

I've read THG in the past and still do (although
    less and less), but I also like to read other reviews as well.
    Now I will be forced to read THG on this topic until the
    "embargo" is lifted.

I just an average computer enthusiast and enjoy reading about computers at my leisure, my job is not related to computers in any way...

THG is a joke, and they have trashed so many other hardware sites. THG is the corporate hardware community that the world does not need.

Now you know why Kyle hates THG...

Would also be willing to bet that Intel is paying THG to get exclusive rights, who "better" to give first impressions on A64 other than an Intel-biased site owner?

We will all know the real story when Ryan gets his hands on A64 material not Tom since Tom doesn't know hardware from a hole in the wall...
    Last edited by JungleMan; 06-28-2003 at 07:36 PM.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

It sickens me deeply, that this kinda thing goes on. But I am not surprised..

Great article and thanks for taking the time to share it with us. We really need to know more about this kinda carry on.
    http://www.techseekers.net

Same old THG ********!!!!!

I had an opportunity to go to the event this week, but decided not to.
    Now I'm glad I didn't go.
    A local friend of mine is the owner of All American Computers who helped put the machines together for the event (gaming).

Seems to be pretty lame to "embargo" a site because of pressure from another.

What is AMD THINKING? It seems to me they are trying to alienate the largest site to be devoted to thier product. SILLY
    FX 53
    A8V
    eVGA 6800 Ultra
    1 GB TwinX3200XL Pro
    2(74gb Raptors) RAID 0
    2(120gb Samsung SATA) RAID 0
    NEC DL 8x DVD Burner
    DD Maze4 CPU and 6800 GPU.
    Dual 120mm Extreme Rad(cpu), Extreme rad (video)
    CoolerMaster "Stacker"
    http://home.ma.rr.com/silverback/insidecpu.jpghttp://home.ma.rr.com/silverback/gpu1.jpg

AMD has just fed the dog that always bites them in the hand a big helping Kibbles, and for what? THG will undoubtedly claim the A-64 is slow compared to what Intel has or will have. They always do. They will then go on to say anyone who disagrees with them are AMD fanboys and blah blah blah.

THG is the LAST place I ever look on the internet for reviews for hardware, especially cpus. The only time in the last year I've even half agreed with them was on their review of the AXP 3200+. This is only because a lot of other reviewers have come to the same conclusion as well though, including Anandtech.

I applaud you Ryan for all the great work you've done on this site, and also trying to be fair when it comes to reviewing, even if it's at your own expense.
    Beware liberals with guns.

geez

i respected THG for a long time.

I always had the impression that THG was pro-AMD and not Intel (they coined the term chipzilla after all), and places like ZDnet were terribly biased towards Intel over AMD.

Funny like a book you learn that the good guys are actually the ugly NSA/CIA guys and the bad guys are the wierdo religious cult group that is actually in the right...argh.

I do agree with most of the article. More and more sites are getting 'free' stuff for putting out the good reviews on half-arsed parts. Non-bias has been an issue a lot lately, not just over tech internet sites...all the way up to highest levels of media (Blair from NY Times anyone?).

I hope that this place decides to keep doing things the 'hard' way, and that is without corp bias or influence. Peace =)

Well, since I am completely new to this forum I'll post with a bit of info about myself.

I used to run a hardware website for a company that was quite popular in the online magazine market. I've had personal dealings with AMD but not with TomsHardware.

In the time that I spent working on a website similar to this one I can say I ran into many of the problems that were mentioned in the article. Every day you walked a very fine line between editorial integrity and getting the add revenue and review samples you needed to stay afloat.

TomsHardware, though quite popular, is in my opinion one of the most unethical journalistic websites around. Most of the other editors that I kept in touch with at the time had very little respect for the website. The worst thing about that website is that half the time it produces brilliant content and commentary on computer hardware. The other half of the time it is selling it's sole to manufacturers in order to make a buck.

While the realm of online journalism has it's incredible benefits (instant information, lots of content, and information on just about anything you could want) it also suffers one of the worst downsides, a complete lack of responsibility. There are lots of websites out there that don't fall prey to manufacturers and sales companies attempts to control content. But there are also many that do.

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens
    Well said, Ryan. If any of you have a dissenting opinion, please express it. Thats what this is all about, freedom of the press and freedom of speech. don't be afraid to share your opinion.

btw: maybe we can take THG to court for denying freedom of the press (j/k, of course )

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪
    What I find to be the second most frustrating aspect of this whole episode... is that it was not a deal agreed to by the Leaders at AMD or THG, but by two apparent buddies at the street level. Tom Himself is not apparantly involved, except as the guy standing behind the journalistic integrity of his employee. AMD is not responsible except as those responsible for the actions of thier street level marketing people.

And anybody who has attended one of the 'Performance Tour' set-ups put on by AMD marketing kids in the last few years... we know the level of professionalism displayed by these folks.

The MOST frustrating aspect however, is that I will not be able to trust the information about the Athlon64 which comes from this 'public' event. Tom's guys did something in return for this unprecidented embargo power... I fear it is the case that not only was THG for sale to Intel in the past, but now to AMD as well. I'm now forced to figure out who has purchased Tom's co-operation on which article before I can sift the truth from the marketing...

How are we to know who is the latest high bidder?!?!?

Look what I found when I did some satellite surveillance on the THG headquarters in near Munich:

...pure coincidence I'm sure...

Killeroy.

LMAO!!!!!

•WindowsXPProSP2•ATI Radeon 9800Pro128meg(5.6 CATS)@defaults•Antec SmartPower 450w PSU•
    •Soyo KT400 (2aa6 bios)(Only agp driver,no 4in1's)•AMD AthlonXP 1800+(tb) (1.67ghz..12.5x133)•
    •1024 PC2100 memory(2x 512)•(2x)IBM40gig•WD120gig(JB)•WD80gig(BB)• Audigy 2 soundcard•
    •Altec Lansing Model 251(5.1)speakers•LiteOn 811S•LiteOn 1673S•