Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I haven't been to THG since he insulted Kyle and [H]OCP in general for keeping people informed on 9/11, and this just nails the lid on that coffin. Of course, I'm pissed at AMD, too, but how can I boycott them when both rigs in my house and every one I've built for friends and family (20+) is running on one of their CPUs ?

interesting

Well I used to read Tom's a lot along with extremetech and anandtech. Even tech-report and driverheaven.net are really good sites. This one I really never browsed through before BUT I will now look at it more often.

In regards to Tom's.... Many of you are forgetting something. When Nvidia's Gf5800 Ultra Came out, Tom's put it off as the Radeon 9700 pro killer and it's benchmarks were totally different than everyone else's. It was at this point that I realized that THG wasn't being honest and it was at this point in time that I started to ignore THG. I may browse through if a friend of mine points me to a link, but that is rarely. All because of this Nvidia GF FX 5800 Ultra review that showed the total opposite of everyone else (except for the major nvidia fan sites)

I like both Nvidia (not so much recently due to driver "irregularities" with a benchmark they condemned) and Ati. I just recently found new respect for Intel with the new HT processors.

Devil, yea, but if you leave AMD, what are u gonna do? I mean Intel has been up to this kind of thing for a long, long time. What does that leave you? Via? Transmeta? *gasp*Apple?*gasp* (and they've been erm... less than honest... with their G5 benches...) I mean I agree that it's disgraceful, but outside of AMD and Intel, who else is there?
    Sager NP5620 Notebook | 2.4 P4 | 512MB | R7500m | 50GB/7200RPM/16MB HD | 8/4/8/24 CD-RW/DVD | 15" UXGA

NF7-S | 2600m @ 2.65 | 1GB | R9700 Pro | 2 80GB | 52/32/52 | 16x DVD

K7D-L | 2x 2500+ @ 2.2 | 1GB | R8500 | 4 160GB HDs, 2 RAID 0 arrays | 52/24/52 | 16x DVD

Tyan "Thunderbolt" | 2x 1GHz P3 | 512MB | R9000 | 3 80GB, 1 40GB HD | 52/32/52 | 4x DVD+RW/-RW

THG and ANANDTECH suck

Like many others I stoped going to THG and ANANDTECH because I felt they were too biased against AMD and ATI. I felt like they were getting payed off by Intel or something. I don't go to these big review sites for the simple reason that they are all payed off unlike the enthusiast sites or the hardcore sites.

There are four websites I go to right after I wake up in the morning and throughout the day and right before going to bed and those sites are: AMDZone, AMDMB, Slickdeals, Hardocp

I think you should have starrted a big rumble at mml2, and you should have knocked out the THG guy and AMD rep, then they would have had a good a*s wooping to review.
    Asus P7P55D Evo
    i7 860
    G.SKILL RipJaws 4GB (2x2gb) DDR3 1600
    HD4870
    SB Audigy 4
    x25-m 80GB SSD
    WD 640GB Black Caviar
    Lite On 24x DL DVD Burner
    Hanns-G HG281D 28" LCD
    Antec 300 Custom watercooled
    Corsair HX520 PSU

Originally posted by Killeroy
    Look what I found when I did some satellite surveillance on the THG headquarters in near Munich:

...pure coincidence I'm sure...

Killeroy.
    Ironically, this is not untrue--what Dave and Killeroy say.

If I remember correctly, you can actually look up the addresses for both Intel and THG, and the addresses are nearly identical...which is a coincidence...I'm sure...

Well, I do suppose that we should give THG a bit of credit. Only the slickest talking human -- if that -- could ever convince someone -- unless that someone was as stupid as a Clap-on-Clap-off device -- to give an exclusive to the website that bashes just about every single AMD product that has ever been manufactured, and praises -- hell, even shares nearly the same address -- as AMD's foremost competitor.

Alex

It's not unprecedented

Things like this happen all the time. As this is a private event sponsored by many companies, those in the media who have paid a remuneration should be given precedence by the managers of MML2.

Refer to the last olympics. I remember how NBC restricted all visual media that other networks could broadcast. It was absolutely silly, but under the rule of law, completely legal.

Other networks were able to restate medals and times, some went as far as reenacting the figure skating competition with camera men taking the place of the actual skaters.

If MML2 gave THG the authority to limit media to the event, then you blame it on MML2. Only fractionally on THG. They are a business and do things in order to make money.

eg. MS vs the public. I think MS are whores for what they do, but spineless judges and lawyers are a large part of the problem. They continue to side in favour or microsoft and their unfair competitive practices.

As for the freedom of the press and all the people who will bring this up, AMDMB and all the other mags are free to attend and report their findings.

MML2 are also allowed to hire security and toss your *** out -> I believe this event is privately funded and owned.

Might we have a computer nerd equivalent of the paparazzi?

Simmer down and tell hardocp to stop spazzing. It's not bad for the industry, it's just better for those who know how to work it.

Anyways most of the online mags need the tech companies, where as tech companies have hundreds of biatches to choose from.

b.

Whats really odd about AMD's actions here is that THG is considered by many AMD enthusiasts as being biased towards Intel. I think we should start emailing AMD en masse to let them know about our feelings in this matter.

Hey guys,

After a few conversations with Ryan throughout the day, I am nearly speechless. If the world knew half of what was going on "behind the scenes" over the past few days, I'm sure the vast majority would buy a gun and enough ammunition for a handful of editors of a certain website as well as a few select PR people.

One thing to realize though is that Ryan has taken a TON of heat from some of the largest players in this game in an effort to bring the truth to everyone. Though some mental-midgets will attempt to label this as a publicity stunt, anyone who knows how this industry works will tell you that standing up like this brings far more heat than most care to endure. For most, the end hardly justifies the means...

At the end of the day though, you have someone willing to trade blows with the biggest guys in the industry...Having someone like that in your corner these days is rare to say the least...

Good job Ryan...shame I wasn't there to back you up ( although they wouldn't have let me in anyways ) ;D

edit for stupidity...
    Heatware: Cygnus_X_1

Ryan,
    I totally agree with you. I am currently at MML2 and I attended both the THG Q&A last nite and tonites AMD Q&A sessions and it was funny watching that ******** rep from THG controlling the way the sessions went. He just came across as a real *******.

BTW, Ryan, were you the one with the blonde hair and camera or recorder? If so, I watched you walk around a bit while they were going on.

It doesn't honestly suprise me that this happened. THG sold out years ago and something like this looks to be right up their alley.

Originally posted by Geeky1
    Devil, yea, but if you leave AMD, what are u gonna do? I mean Intel has been up to this kind of thing for a long, long time. What does that leave you? Via? Transmeta? *gasp*Apple?*gasp* (and they've been erm... less than honest... with their G5 benches...) I mean I agree that it's disgraceful, but outside of AMD and Intel, who else is there?

Hmmm... good question... but hey, I said "if they don't fix their messy act soon"... so, I'm still hoping they get their act together... I still have faith in them, I really do... the Athlon64 is their next big thing... but if it doesn't deliver the goods (as we all are really, really expecting), then it'll be the end of AMD's tenure as The King () and somebody else ( *ntel, Apple ) will have to cater to our needs.

- D24

so what should we do? let someone here with good writing skills make a form letter that we mail to AMD/THG/whoever?

im not opposed to letting someone (or a corp) know my feelings, and though I am new around here, this community is not only tight, but rather large. So I imagine we could make a SMALL difference, if anything, by telling the persons we are unhappy with why we are unhappy. En mass.

shouldnt be a scathing, ugly letter, but should point out the negatives and the trend the industry seems to be going in, and that we are against it very much. Without honest, unbiased opinions and news, etc, we will be the equivalent of car buyers (heh used cars especially).

just my $.02

Those who think that Angry's idea is great, please raise your hands?

/me raises his right hand

I'd gladly co-sign such a letter .

- D24

Thanks for all the comments and support guys, I really appreciate.

Just a quick update before I get more time: I am back from the second day without any pictures or talks with the AMD technical reps.... Interesting eh?

Also, the following phrases were said to me tonight by undisclosed persons:

"You career is over, I'll see to that"
    "I hope you like running your site on lies"
    "Why don't you put down that recorder and camera and we can go outside and rumble?"

pelly seems to right on the money!

All for a good cause though guys: truth.
    Last edited by Ryan; 06-29-2003 at 02:55 AM.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪
    Originally posted by Ryan
    Also, the following phrases were said to me tonight by undisclosed perons:
    Cool word, Boss... somebody caught in mid-morph between a real Person and a Peon... I like it...