Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Glad that in the end you were able to get some pics and such.

[rant]

Just a sordid state of affairs at THG. I personally, have heard thing about THG for some time, but never understood why some sites would boycot THG.

It is now abundantly clear, that THG is in need of some well deserved traffic starvation. Just to be clear, I am not talking DoS attacks or anything, but I think that the hardware community should let THG know how it feels about the "ethics" they have displayed by refusing to visit their site. As we all know, a site that reviews hardware climbs to the top of the proverbial Sh*theap through hits and pages served. That how the advertising dollars come in, and how the hardware samples are sent for review.

As you can see by THG's Alexa rating:

http://info.alexa.com/data/details?p...shardware.com/

far too many of us visit...

I for one, will be boycotting THG on a permanent basis; I do not have the knowledge or experience of Ryan in the hardware enthusiast world, but I know what makes it turn...

traffic.

Hit em where it hurts.

[/rant]
    źDR578╗
    =(2.4C @ 3.5)=(L20>Maze 3>Chevette Heatercore>res)=(Asus P4P800 Deluxe)=(2*256 Mushkin PC3500)=(Radeon 9800 pro)=(other junk)=
    http://www.theCrucible.ca
    Heat
    Chris[AT]thecrucible[DoT]ca

Originally posted by Ryan
    "Why don't you put down that recorder and camera and we can go outside and rumble?"

God I would LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE to get that one sometimes....odd though, I never get the "let's throw down" thingy.

...you're so lucky
    Steven Lynch
    www.hardocp.com
    www.hypothermia.us

Kewl, I got to post right after Steve, that rox.
    Anyways, I remember, yes, I am ancient and I know it...the days when there were, ahem, some "issues" related to THG and Intel (aka Chipzilla) over the PIII 1.13 GHz. (No, not the Tualatin, the super huge heatsinked Coppermine thingy that they tried to put out that wouldn't do a successful linux kernel compile.) I am certain I am not the only one who remembers those days.

Let's just say I lost respect for THG a long time ago and realized that [H] was clearly the light side of the force. In my opinion, people should not be tempted by evil Emperor Palpatine (aka Tom) and read the review of the Athlon over at THG. Yes, lets do starve him of all his bandwidth and the precious advertising money that he gets because of the volume of traffic his site USED to recieve and no longer will hopefully.

--Lance
    www.vectorcomputing.net
    Last edited by lfeagan; 06-29-2003 at 02:49 AM.

Originally posted by Steve_HardOCP
    God I would LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE to get that one sometimes....odd though, I never get the "let's throw down" thingy.

...you're so lucky
    gee i wonder why steve....

anyway, keep up the great work Ryan, we are def behind you on this one....
    Heatware: Cygnus_X_1

Originally posted by lfeagan
    Kewl, I got to post right after Steve, that rox.
    Anyways, I remember, yes, I am ancient and I know it...the days when there were, ahem, some "issues" related to THG and Intel (aka Chipzilla) over the PIII 1.13 GHz. (No, not the Tualatin, the super huge heatsinked Coppermine thingy that they tried to put out that wouldn't do a successful linux kernel compile.) I am certain I am not the only one who remembers those days.

Let's just say I lost respect for THG a long time ago and realized that [H] was clearly the light side of the force. In my opinion, people should not be tempted by evil Emperor Palpatine (aka Tom) and read the review of the Athlon over at THG. Yes, lets do starve him of all his bandwidth and the precious advertising money that he gets because of the volume of traffic his site USED to recieve and no longer will hopefully.

--Lance
    www.vectorcomputing.net
    The P3 1.13GHz article (written by Van Smith I believe) was the high water mark for THG IMO. After that, it seemed the site went downhill...
    Personally I look to smaller sites (Amdmb, Tech-Report etc.) for reviews rather than the bigger sites as there is less chance that their conclusions are influenced in any way.... after all, these companies know that most people will listen and belive what is said by Tom, Anand, Kyle etc.

Originally posted by morphodone
    I've read THG in the past and still do (although
    less and less), but I also like to read other reviews as well.
    Now I will be forced to read THG on this topic until the
    "embargo" is lifted....
    I stopped reading THG years ago when they posted their Voodoo vs Riva128 article.. Claiming the Riva128 had image quality on par or better than the Voodoo.

I had both cards at the time, and the Riva128 was a JOKE compared to the Voodoo as far as image quality went.. I sent an email over there demanding an answer on how they could be so blind as to not see they were misleading everyone.. (edit) they NEVER sent me even a 1 word reply...

I guess payoffs happened even that long ago.. nvidia HAD to be stuffing those pockets to get that kind of review on that JUNK quality they had at that time..

I rarely go over the THG.. I'd advise everyone else to do the same..

B

Kilroy, I think you are right, that was the high point of THG. At least for those of us who have some sense of honesty, integrity, decency, etc... However, clearly THG has become far more popular with the masses in the time since then. Many of my friends who I would not consider enthuasists at all know, read, and believe what they read at THG. I absolutely try to persuade them to at least look at other sites for a possible difference in opinion to help them better understand the possible biases, overlooked issues, etc they might be making in their hardware choices.

What is unfortunate with this situation is that we will not be able to have the opportunity to have dissenting opinions on this situation to compare and contrast different reviewers. Admittedly, we will likely hear more shortly after THG has adequately soaked up the initial onslaught of hits from people reading at their site.

I think you are quite right too about the smaller sites having excellent reviews. Sometimes it is nice though to have the big sites for the nice variety of their reviews and the many different capabilities they have to receive the newest equipment and come up with the largest variety of setups.

--Lance

Edit: I had forgotten about the R128/Voodoo thing, good point. I remember that upsetting me, but it didn't wholly dissuade me from THG...silly me...oh well
    Last edited by lfeagan; 06-29-2003 at 03:05 AM.

Well if boycotting certain large websites will help, then
    I'm all for it.

I'll go thru my favorites list and delete those
    that need to be deleted...

I feel ashamed to have ever gone to such sites.

Originally posted by lfeagan

Edit: I had forgotten about the R128/Voodoo thing, good point. I remember that upsetting me, but it didn't wholly dissuade me from THG...silly me...oh well
    It may have been the Voodoo2.. I can't recall that far back and release dates (I bought the Riva128 pretty much right when it hit the market).. Whichever it was.. there were plenty of games I compared with ...

That dithering on the Riva128 was god awful.. There were some effects in Mageslayer I think it was that just looked pitiful on it.. they looked nice and smooth on 3Dfx..

Yes, I am pretty certain it was Voodoo2. I had a R128 and my friend let me borrow his 2 Voodoo2s and run them in SLI...it was very depressing for me :-( Oh well...live and learn.

--Lance

Originally posted by Ryan
    "Why don't you put down that recorder and camera and we can go outside and rumble?"
    You should have taken him up on his offer and beat his conniving @ss down. Then gone back in and break his camera on the AMD rep.

Don't vist THG or ANANDTECH.

I wish I was a hacker I would have DDOS his site.
    Asus P7P55D Evo
    i7 860
    G.SKILL RipJaws 4GB (2x2gb) DDR3 1600
    HD4870
    SB Audigy 4
    x25-m 80GB SSD
    WD 640GB Black Caviar
    Lite On 24x DL DVD Burner
    Hanns-G HG281D 28" LCD
    Antec 300 Custom watercooled
    Corsair HX520 PSU

Well, after reading about the latest THG events.. here is what I posted to an alexa review of THG. . .

As a CS professor at a university, I have an interest in keeping up with the latest happenings in hardware. I also have the opportunity to help countless students pick out PCs and look for information about PCs on the net.

I had personally stopped reading THG with any regularity about two years ago (For you advertisers out there, this is a fairly big trend among many techies ľ you know, the ones who buy lots of your stuff and recommend that their friends do the same). Although, I did not mind recommending students visit this site among others to gather information. After all, THG still does come up with some technically good articles on subjects hard to find elsewhere. Unfortunately, many others articles they write have appeared umm... less than truthful. *cough* NVDIA *cough* INTEL

The latest MML2 fiasco just ices the cake. If they had a right to do it, then I can not fault them for trying to exclude other media. But, by the same token, they can not also fault me for boycotting any news source that is not only frequently biased, but also insists it wants to be my only news source.

Talking

Ohhhh, baby!!

I wish that would've been me on the receiving end of that line because I would grabbed him by the bottom lip and drug his monkey a$$ out to the parking lot where I would then proceed to beat him as if he were a Hitler pinata at a Massad picnic.

I'm tellin' ya I would've folded him like lawn furniture.

It'd be worth going to jail over, too!!

It's disgusting but nothing unusual.

So many sites work side by side without a problem. We all review pretty much the same thing, post each others news.

An exclusive is great if you can get it, BUT IT SHOUDLN'T BE GAINED BY FORCING ANYONE'S HAND

Money talks but one day the BS will walk.

We are behind ya Ryan. You didn't take it lying down. Damn right and damn good for you.
    Co-Owner/Webmaster @ Short-Media.com

And a proud, friendly neighbour to the best damn community on the web - PcPer/AMDMB rules!

I always heard about THG's shady nature, but i didn't really believe it until i read their article about the Corsair H20 system that [H] had also just reviewed... and they couldn't have been any more different than night and day. I have doubted their testing abilities when THG's writer noted the good location of the heat probe ON TOP OF THE WATERBLOCK!!!

Anyway, i have cast a suspicous eye towards THG since then, and now this fiasco seals the deal... THG has been removed forever from my list of tech sites to read, and i suggest everyone else do the same.

PS. If people are going to email AMD, be sure to include a link to this thread and/or any other threads like it be they on [H], Tech-Report, etc.

PPS. Steve, sick Asia on him
    Last edited by jimi1283; 06-29-2003 at 07:07 AM.