Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Ryan
    Thanks for all the comments and support guys, I really appreciate.

Just a quick update before I get more time: I am back from the second day without any pictures or talks with the AMD technical reps.... Interesting eh?

Also, the following phrases were said to me tonight by undisclosed persons:

"You career is over, I'll see to that"
    "I hope you like running your site on lies"
    "Why don't you put down that recorder and camera and we can go outside and rumble?"

pelly seems to right on the money!

All for a good cause though guys: truth.
    Career over
    running on lies
    go outside and rumble
    If you wish , we could organize a posse for ya , take care of your light work while your defeating the big dragons

Thus Always To Tyrants

AMDMB may not be a "top level" site, but it is close and it is the home of the largest AMD comunity, for you not to be able to report on amd products that are freely available to the public not only stinks and is a bad move on AMD's part but also souds ilegal

Last edited by RavenTai; 06-29-2003 at 07:24 AM.

Well... what can I say... I've been an enthusiast pc techie since 1989 and buildt more than 3000 pc's... it feels like I am constantly reading reviews and digging info in forums trying to find the most suitable hardware for me and my costumers... this has made me very aware of the fact that people and sites can be bought... that's why you have to read several reviews for the same peace of hardware AND look in forums what the average user think before you can draw your own conclusion... It's like with every other printed thing you read... just because it's printed it does'nt mean it's true...

Sites and people like the ones at THG are allways going to exist because of a simple fact called money... If they stop someother site will take the bait... that does not mean I think it's ok but it's up to us to choose wheter or not we trust a site or not...

I was not surprised by the THG actions and actually don't care about them because they have been up to these kinds of tricks for years... I can't recall me or any of my techie friends having read THG for the last 2 years atleast... BUT, for an AMD local rep. this is sursprising and it is going to be very interesting to see what AMD will do about it...

Anyways... having read reviews on the internet for the past 8 years there is only one site that I return to every day now... guess which one?...

I would like to thank Ryan and the other people helping AMDMB for a great site and I really hope you keep up the good work you have displayed so far...

RYAN YOU ARE NOT TELLING THE TRUTH

You call yourself a respectfull media person but how can you tell lies to your loyal fans. I was here at the event for the AMD Presentation. I saw you in the back recording the presentation and taking pictures. I even hear AMD invite each and everyone of us to come up and speak with the AMD reps that were there and to take as many pictures as we wanted.

I even heard AMD personally invite you before the presentation even started out in the main hall to come in a little early and meet with the AMD reps that had come to visit us.

I will be posting later this morning again, and if I can add a picture to this post, I am going to add the picture of you I have at the event, in the presentation room, taking pictures.

I would like to know your explanation of why you have persoanlly mis lead and lied to some one like me that is a fan of AMDMB.

I am very dissapointed.

"Ryan Quote"

Thanks for all the comments and support guys, I really appreciate.

Just a quick update before I get more time: I am back from the second day without any pictures or talks with the AMD technical reps.... Interesting eh?

Also, the following phrases were said to me tonight by undisclosed persons:

"Why don't you put down that recorder and camera and we can go outside and rumble?"

pelly seems to right on the money!

All for a good cause though guys: truth.

Last edited by Ryan on 06-29-2003 at 07:55 AM

Are you all sheep?

Wow... I always thought the geek community had more sense than to trust just one person, but I guess not.

I am actualy AT MML2, and I can tell you that this write up is bogus.

No-one was prevented from getting info on the new hardware, and the AMD guys even invited everyone to get all the photos thay wanted.

The tech guys that Ryan claims wouldn't talk to him on the second day weren't even here by then... so duh!!!!! no-one got to talk to them at that time.

When they gave their presentation to the public audience, they gave out the exact same info that THG has posted.. infact the guy that played the UT2003 gave us attendees more info about the way it played than anything the THG posted.

I havn't seen any info posted that wasn't freely available... and when I went to read what THG has writen they even said that 'AMD did not answer our questions'.

I could have sworn Ryan was taking photos at the event just like everyone else... perhaps his pictures didnt come out right and he is just pissed off he screwed it up?

Anyway... you guys might want to consider the fact that the story he is spinning just might not be the truth (it seems like he has a prior agenda judging by the stuff you guys have posted)... think about it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

ps. I guess this forum it treating everyone at MML2 as 'Stevenson', cause it wouldnt let me create my own account, and insists im him.

pps. I am not with AMD, THG, or any other computer related company. Im just a geek like the rest of you... with the difference that ive been here at MML2 the WHOLE time.

Re: Are you all sheep?

Originally posted by Stevenson
    Wow... I always thought the geek community had more sense than to trust just one person, but I guess not.

ps. I guess this forum it treating everyone at MML2 as 'Stevenson', cause it wouldnt let me create my own account, and insists im him.

pps. I am not with AMD, THG, or any other computer related company. Im just a geek like the rest of you... with the difference that ive been here at MML2 the WHOLE time.
    I did read the whole post and would like to point out that I have no idea what Ryan looks like though I may have seen picyures of him at some earlier event... I would not recognize him if I saw him in person.. are you sure you know who he is and have a positive ID?

If you were to read the post earlier (I'm not going back to quote or even reread it) I believe it says he was allowed to take pictures, but not publish them...that has the same effect does it not?

You certainly may be correct in your assesments, but I doubt it. Ryan has earned the members of this forums' TRUST over time, and that does count.

You are an innocent bystander? What do you do to make a living and how can you afford to be at that event? I can't.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

What a shameful rights grab.
    Thanks for airing this out, we can put up with the stench from THG.

A: HP Pavilion 6103nr laptop * Intel Core Solo T1350 * 512 MB RAM * 60GB HDD *Win XP Media Edition
    B: Athlon XP 2000@1.7 *Gigabyte GA7VAXP * 1024MB PC2100 * Matrox G550 * (2) 160GB Maxtor * 40GB Maxtor * 16x DVD-ROM * 48X12X48 CDRW * *WinXP Pro
    Headphones: Grado SR 60 * Beyerdynamic DT 770 * Sansa Clip 1GB * Little Dot I+ amp on order

Yeah, prior restraint on work is effectively the same as not being able to work at all.

A: HP Pavilion 6103nr laptop * Intel Core Solo T1350 * 512 MB RAM * 60GB HDD *Win XP Media Edition
    B: Athlon XP 2000@1.7 *Gigabyte GA7VAXP * 1024MB PC2100 * Matrox G550 * (2) 160GB Maxtor * 40GB Maxtor * 16x DVD-ROM * 48X12X48 CDRW * *WinXP Pro
    Headphones: Grado SR 60 * Beyerdynamic DT 770 * Sansa Clip 1GB * Little Dot I+ amp on order

to PandaZ3

I make a living by running a computer department...

Though ANYONE could afford this event... it's only $45 bucks.. money you could make mowing lawns this time of year.

Most people here eat junk for a few days, and sleep on the floor.... I'm lucky, I work for my money and can afford a bed.

Since you are so curious... what do you do, and how do you get YOUR money?

I was here, and I don't need to rely on Ryan to know what everyone here saw.

He could take pictures but not post them? It was a private event... if anyone wanted to stop him posting they could have just kept him out... I find this one very hard to believe.

Besides.... I saw bunches of guys taking shots of the hardware... he could have got his photos from anyone of them... and since the AMD guys offered to allow ANYONE to photograph the stuff they already gave blanked permission.

Believe what you will.... I just suggested you consider more than one source of info. Some people swear the attrocities of WWII didn't happen... other people who WITNESSED them would beg to differ. Take anything you read with a pinch of salt until you have coroberation(sp).

Can we hear from anyone else that was AT the event?

Re: to PandaZ3

Can we hear from anyone else that was AT the event?
    Already did: http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....33#post1923333

Lightbulb Post your pics on the web then..

Stevenson.

Post the pics you took, and a short writeup, on a small website then. Put a link to it here in the forum, and we can send the link out for people to see.

I would like to see the event, the hardware, and such. I will not go to THG, nor the [H], both are very poor sites for any non-biased information.

So...put up your pics and a brief writeup of events, including anything you heard in an AMD or nVidia briefing, show pics of the hardware. If you do this, your credability will zoom. You say you run a computer department. Any good computer department has a website. Create a virtual server to host a small site for a week or so.

Just one man's thoughts...
    CybrSage
    "I am the KING of procrastination. I procrastinate so FULLY that I have yet to BEGIN to procrastinate!" - Me

Originally posted by Ryan

Ryan, Just let them be children and in the end, it is the consumer who will decide the fate of sites like THG. While yours will continue to grow. www.rage3d.com has a HUGE userbase and I posted this information up over there.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stevenson
    [B]I make a living by running a computer department...

Since you are so curious... what do you do, and how do you get YOUR money?[B]

I am not in a computer department, I am in Aviation

$45 bucks is a little high I think, but thats not the big expense.. it's loss of income from not working, travel and lodging, food for that matter.

I don't know, but you might be able to justify some of the event as work related, I can not

I have seen articles and posts ocassionally from Ryan over time and have come to form an opinion based on that.. over time

You... a stranger.. come in a swinging a Ball Bat... I know you say you have no connection... I'm jst trying to establish a little credibility
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪
    Hi guys! I'm the Co-Moderator for this forum, and I'd like to welcome you to our little corner of the web... see a lot of new members checking in with thier opinions, and that's good.

This is one of those topics which may, if we all allow it, become a flame fest. While it is fun (and more than slightly theraputic) to trash other people here in the forums, in THIS forum we have a tradition of not insulting/attacking other individuals. That rule is enforced by me, and my Co-Moderator JimZinsocal.

In this instance, we'll not edit out any personal insults or attacks against Ryan Shrout, the owner of this Site. First off, because he's the owner, not just a forum member. Sencondly, because it only makes the accuser look.... well, silly. At least the ones we've seen so far. Sorry guys, if you want to make a decent arguement, be sure to get your facts straight first, then check out my helpful little thread on how to express yourself effectively.

Now, personal insults against Ryan's detractors WILL be held to our normal standard. In short, address the points made, not the person who made them. This forum is fairly unique, in that we can address issues ranging from Rambus memory to the War in Iraq to Abortion Rights without those conversations devolving into horrible flame fests. While you are here, check a few of these discussions out, they're a blast.

In the meantime, please post all of the INFORMATION you have, along with any quotes or other data to back it up. Personal eye-witnessing is fine, but let's not go to "my buddy said he heard them say that..." If that is indeed the case, have your buddy post the information personally. You can post under any name you like, but please refrain from falsely identifying yourself, for example, please do not come here as Jerry Saunders III unless you are indeed, Jerry Saunders III. If your computer is stuck logged in as a current member, go to the Main Index page and log out; that will allow you to register under your own Nic. Thanks.

The owners of certain websites may have to develop thick skins about other people's opinions of them, but if you are mentioned in here either as a site or as an individual and you see something which is a provable lie, please report that post to the Moderator using that link at the bottom of that post. You may also point these things out in the debate, but I will NOT edit out any content which is posted in accordance with our Forum Rules unless you ask, and you show that there is cause. (Since I have a life offline, it may not get addressed immediately. Please be patient.) All other 'policing' in here should be done by the Staff of Amdmb.com and it's forum site AMDForums.com.

Thanks guys, and keep the info coming!

Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good

I make a living by running a computer department...

Though ANYONE could afford this event... it's only $45 bucks.. money you could make mowing lawns this time of year.

Most people here eat junk for a few days, and sleep on the floor.... I'm lucky, I work for my money and can afford a bed.

Since you are so curious... what do you do, and how do you get YOUR money?

I was here, and I don't need to rely on Ryan to know what everyone here saw.

He could take pictures but not post them?...
    According to what Ryan said in his article he was allowed to take pictures, talk to AMD, and take any notes he wanted (this is what he says in his editorial), but he was proscribed from publishing any of the AMD-specific content until after THG had run it.

Here's my take: the AMD guy featured in the THG overview made what I would call an unwise decision. My guess is that early on THG informed the guy it would only be interested in covering the event if granted an exclusive by the AMD representative. Apparently, this seems to have been what happened. In the journalism biz this is known as an "exclusive" interview. As I say I think the AMD representative was very unwise in granting this because interest in the A64 is already so high that had he declined THG's request for an exclusive there'd have been a raft of web sites ready to take the story.

Despite what the AMD rep says in the interview, it's really easy to see that someone who plays 3D games "a couple hours a week" is not much of a 3D gamer......and this I think explains his mistake here. He was trying to reach a specific segment of the market with this A64 advance publicity, and he erroneously thought he'd gain some advantage by granting THG an exclusive interview. Actually, as I said, this was a mistake on his part as he succeeded in diminishing the amount of A64 publicity he might have generated otherwise. But nobody's perfect...

No, I don't see where Ryan was "lying" but I do see where you misinterpreted his remarks and misinterpreted what you saw. You yourself said you saw him taking pictures so you know he took them--why do you think he hasn't published them, then? Also, I think you've confused the MML itself with what Ryan was saying about the AMD-THG deal--which is an entirely separate matter. I'm sure that if Ryan wished to print pictures of the MML itself, without regard to the A64, he could do so anytime he wishes. But what he was interested in was the A64--and that's the info he was told must wait until THG is done with it.
    Chaintech 7NJS
    WinXP Pro SP1
    AthlonXP 2500+ (Barton)
    1 gig PC2700 DC DDR (2 x512)
    2 WD 100 0JB's RAID 0
    FastTrack TX2K
    WD 100 0BB IDE Boot
    WD 100 0BB IDE slv
    SamSung DVD x12/CD-R,CD-RW IDE
    L-O 32x12x40 CD-RW IDE
    SBAudigy2
    Radeon 9800 Pro