Unhappy ATA HardDrive is shutting itself off!

I bought a western digital cavier 120G 8MB cache harddrive about 3 months ago. Afetr having it for 2-3 weeks i noticed that it was somehow shutting itself off, with no particular pattern of behavior. You would feel the computer suddenly lock-up then i could audibly hear the drive shut off (sounds like a click) and i would get the blue screen of death, then a black screen saying to boot from floppy blah blah. If i hit the reset button, when it came to the ATA screen, i see that my drive isint even recognized and message saying the drive cant be found. The only way i can fix this mess is to unplug the power supply to the back of the drive then plug it back in again, and presto everything works fine again, until it happens again in a week or 2 weeks or 3 weeks, like i said there is no patter i can follow. I have win xp home, so i decide to look at the system logs to see if maybe they would catch something but they showed nothing. So my next trick was to replace the ata cables with new cables (round ones) and the problem still happens. I wonder if this is a HD problem or maybe its my mobo? I have the asus a7v266-E and this is my MAIN drive thats messing up. Funny cause i have a second identical WD 120G drive and havent had a thing wrong with it, i have had that drive for 1 year problem free. I am completely in the dark on this one.

I had a drive do this and ended up sending it in to WD andabout a month later they sent me a new one which was used (it whines terribly already), but it at least works. I would call their tech support and they should have you RMA it.

I have in fact since done an RMA in fact i did an advanced RMA. The thing that worries me is that i havent heard a lot of good things about WD tech support. (it took a month to get your drive?) And they sent u a used drive? There will be holy hell to pay if they send me a ****in used drive, as the drive im giving them in return is only 3 months old.

Like I said, at lest the one I got back till works. Not totally sure it was used, but it didn't last very long compared to the store bought ones.
    Good luck man.

Hrmm....how long did you have it till it started acting up? And why did it take a month before you received it. Did you mail them your drive first then they sent a replacement? Sort of like 2 weeks from you and then 2 more weeks getting it back?