Thread: Tuxracer

Tuxracer

Hey guys....

How do you change the resulotion of this game. I am running KDE in 1024x768 @85, but when start this game the desktop looks like it switches to 800x600 @65. How do I configure this? thanks in advance.....

There are no GUI settings in the free demo. You need to edit the .tuxracer file (Not sure about the name, I'm not at home for now, do a ls -la ~/*racer* in a console to find out where it is) and modify your settings. I run it in 1280x1024 on a Gf3 with the latest Nvidia drivers and it looks nice.

Originally posted by OldFrog
    There are no GUI settings in the free demo. You need to edit the .tuxracer file (Not sure about the name, I'm not at home for now, do a ls -la ~/*racer* in a console to find out where it is) and modify your settings. I run it in 1280x1024 on a Gf3 with the latest Nvidia drivers and it looks nice.

Thank you very much!!!!

Actually you must edit the file tuxracer/options in your home directory

Here are my own settings :

PHP Code:
    # x_resolution
    #
    # The horizontal size of the Tux Racer window
    #
    set x_resolution 1280

# y_resolution
    #
    # The vertical size of the Tux Racer window
    #
    set y_resolution 1024

# bpp_mode
    #
    # Controls how many bits per pixel are used in the game.
    # Valid values are:
    #
    #  0: Use current bpp setting of operating system
    #  1: 16 bpp
    #  2: 32 bpp
    # Note that some cards (e.g., Voodoo1, Voodoo2, Voodoo3) only support
    # 16 bits per pixel.
    #
    set bpp_mode 0 

Thank you!

That helps out in a hug e way. I must say that I am surprised how smooth enemy territory is on linux. I have benn playing it al afternoon on Mandrake. Linux seems to be a really fast gaming platform.

Its been shown that linux has better OpenGL performance than Windows... now if we could starting getting some more titles it would be great
    i code therefore i am

Originally posted by Eggs
    Its been shown that linux has better OpenGL performance than Windows... now if we could starting getting some more titles it would be great

I am really heavy into Enemy Territory, so my thirst in the gaming dept is quenched for now....for now that it is! LOL. This install of mandrake is the farthest I have gotten with linux so far. I mean I have installed it many of times but found it to be frustrating in the past. For some reason I am having some success this time. Other than the fact that I cant get my printer to print in Kword(even though it appears to be setup right). also Xine is installed by default, but I cant get it to play Dvd's in my dvd drive. Another thing...after shutting down the computer properly last night...this morning when I booted up, it didnt start x for some reason. I mistakenly stumble upon "startx" (guessed), and I am back in KDE now. There are a few boot up errors I see, but they wiz by so fast that I cant really see what they are. I Tried installing the mandrake updates, but after I rebooted- the system crashed and I had to reinstall Mandrake. I am on shaky ground with linux right now, but as the days pass-I think I will learn to trust it more. For now I will stick with my Mandrake/WinXP dual boot, longing for the day when I will be free form M$. Thanks for listening gents.....

Mandrake 9.1 doesn't install all plugins for xine (Don't ask, I don't know why). Look in Mandrake Control Center and add all xine-related packages.
    Anyway, the version (0.9.13) on the CDs is very old and obsolete now. You'd better add P.L.F. as a source in urpmi. You''l find there many uptodate files, including the last version of xine (The only formats it misses for now is some weird asf files)

OMG!

Originally posted by OldFrog
    Mandrake 9.1 doesn't install all plugins for xine (Don't ask, I don't know why). Look in Mandrake Control Center and add all xine-related packages.
    Anyway, the version (0.9.13) on the CDs is very old and obsolete now. You'd better add P.L.F. as a source in urpmi. You''l find there many uptodate files, including the last version of xine (The only formats it misses for now is some weird asf files)

God thank you!!! I cant tell you how greatful I am for the help!

I can't seem to get farther than a few levels in tuxracer. I get to the third level or so, then can't get anywhere near the record

Originally posted by Gandalf_Grey_
    I can't seem to get farther than a few levels in tuxracer. I get to the third level or so, then can't get anywhere near the record

I am finding it to be difficult as well....GEEZ! Dont they know that children will be playing this game too??? LOL!

I definitely think it's impossible.
    -chumpman