Thread: Quick Question

Quick Question

What is double side and single side memory mean? Are the y talking about DDR and SDR, or am I missing something. Thanks for the help

Quite literally, one has chips on only one side of the module, and the other has chips on both sides of the module.

I have seen PC100, PC133, and DDR modules that come single-sided and double-sided. It just refers to where the chips are at.
    The only subtle difference beyond that is single-sided RAM actually uses just one bank of the two per socket on a motherboard, and well double-sided uses both.

Don't mix double-sided with single-sided. Always try to get RAM as identical as possible in a motherboard.
    Last edited by notdrugged; 07-06-2003 at 04:07 PM.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Reason I'm asking is I have a Giga-Byte Ga-7N400L-1 motherboard and if I use all for banks I need to use DS on the first 2 banks and SS on the 3/4 banks to keep my dual channel running. So, would it be better just to fill 1/3 banks with higher DS sticks

Interesting. I tried to read the online manual but there are error problems on Gigabytes page, so I don't know what to say about it, except, okay.

Out of curiosity. what does the manual say in that respect, since whatever format Gigabyte is using prevents me from reading it online. I upgraded Adobe to Chinese traditional, and it still won't let me view the part of the manual I need to.

So, what exactly do you plan on doing with your RAM? Have some you plan on using, but you want to add more RAM, or what?
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Actually i wanna rip out the generic crap and get some good stuff. Just wondering which way to go. Basically what's better, fill all 4 banks or go with 2 sticks on a higher MB rate

most likely will be no advantage to filling all banks. All you need is two sticks. It will be better to use two sticks. More likely to work with other boards in the future. You won't be losing one or both of your single-sided sticks. Never know, but if you want the most RAM you can get...say, professional photoshop or other RAM hungry program, then I guess cram as much as you can get in there.

Sounds kinda dumb on Gigabyte's part. Coulda just used three slots, then, and allowed double-sided in the third slot. Sounds wasteful otherwise.