Memory Problem Advise? pls Help

Hi All

I have a MSi KT3 Ultra mobo with a 1.4 T-bird and Geforce 4 ti4200 and a soundblaster 5.1 card. I have been recently getting the blue screen saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL whenever I just running memory intensive programs or even just run setup after booting up on a win xp boot cd .

I have managed to track down from the MS site saying it could be a memory mismatch or a memory module failure. Which in fact is quite accurate as i have 2 stick of pc2100 256M 266 DDR memory (1 x unbranded and the other is 1 x TWinmos ) however they are both of different makes that could explain why the pc working ok 90% of the time in most applications quite stabily but occasionally reboots itself with this error message when memory is used up quite intensively.

Now i did try a clean install at the weekend using either one or the other types of memory at any one time to determine which stick is the problem but trying both they both have the same problem. Can anyone possibly explain what could be the cause. Could it be both sticks are faulty and would it even be worthwhile buy a new stick of memory. I see there quite a number of utilities that i can check the memory. any suggestions??

Can someone clarify.

Cheers

Kyo

It is possible that the timings are set too low for one of the sticks of RAM. You need to check what the timings should be for each stick then set the timings in the BIOS to the highest numbers.

I know what your meaning but i dun think the timing would be the problem. Got my mobo set to read memory on SPD therefore it would read the speed directly from the chip on the memory. I am not even overclocking the thing as everything is on default. Thinking probably try to run a memory program this weekend as well lower the fsb to see it helps the stablity of the pc.

Hopfully in this way it can probably tell me if it memory related after all.

Anyone know whcih program is better to test out faulty memory/???

If faulty what am i loolking for. Would it actually tell me exactly what stick is the problem or should i really run it one stick slotted at anyone one time??

Please advise

Kyo