Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    I was lucky enough to have bought my two WD1000BB's from NewEgg. For some reason I never understood and never bothered looking into, the WD site always said my drives had no warranty whatsoever. Good thing NewEgg took them back on WD's behalf (and gave me a pair of new 120-GB drives in their place).

All it takes to rma a drive to WD is a s/n with a drive that is still in war-one to three years-that info is on the drive,just type in the s/n to see if the war is valid. Did you type in the serial number?

Yes, I entered both S/N on the WD site, and it told me neither drive had a warranty whatsoever. (I did this check a long time ago, and again recently.) It didn't say that the warranties had expired, but rather that they never had one. It said something about them being OEM, which was true, but... even OEM drives are supposed to have warranties.

At this point I'm actually glad that WD was too stupid to know their own warranty periods, because the end result was that NewEgg handled it for me instead, to my benefit. Had I RMA'd through WD, I would have received refurbished 100-GB drives, not brand-new 120-GB drives, in replacement.

I checked the warranties for the two 120-GB drives that NewEgg sent, and it came up just fine (1 year). Who knows what happened.

I have been cheated with war time by amd so chenk the war period whenever you buy them , there is also a time stamp on the drives-and I suppose you could call them up if their site says the drive is out of war.

Red face

double posted
    Last edited by sunofwolf; 08-25-2003 at 12:26 PM.