Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WD 160gb Spec. Edit. 8mb cache: noise?

I'm debating purchasing one of these WD 120GB special edition 8MB cache HDD's. For those who are using this HDD, can you comment on:

1) noise - does it start making a whining noise after time. I've got a 1 yr old 40BD WD which was demoted to external backup because it developed an annoying whining noise. I run a very quiet PC and that was the most annoying noise in the rig!

2) general reliability. I'm also concern about the quality of WD's warranty service as per previous posts.
    Last edited by pakman; 07-18-2003 at 08:55 PM.

Been running one for about a year now .

1) no noise that I've heard of, just as quiet if not quieter then any of my other hard drivers

2) reliable, have not had one problem yet, and it is still very fast

Will be installing another one in the next week in my new system and know it will be just as good as the one I have now.

My 80GB versions are very quiet. I also note the the JB series drives have the only 3-year warranty available in their class. Mine have been running 24/7 for a year without a hiccough. These drives have nothing in common with either the BD series or the BB series.

thanks guys for the input. given where prices on these HDD's are nowadays, I might just have to get one.

All 6 of my 800JB models have been flawless and dead silent since I got them 15 months ago.

I forget, are these WD SE's fuid dynamic bearing (FBD) like the maxtors?

I might just have to get one
    One or the other is always on sale for around $1/GB, get 2 and RAID-0 them, you'll be a happy guy. Last I looked, newegg had 80's for $80.

Check out fatwallet, you can get them for very cheap sometimes if you're patient. My recent purchase was a 120gb 8mb cache for about 75 bucks shipped from dell.

yeah a lot of good deals on hdd's lately. some as low as 60cents/gig... tempted to get the WD SE 160GB that's selling for 99.99 @ compusa after MIR.

Originally posted by pakman
    I forget, are these WD SE's fuid dynamic bearing (FBD) like the maxtors?
    Not the JB models. PB models do but I don't remember anyone ever seeing one. An 80 gig JB would be a WD800PB. Here's WD's entire model numbering scheme:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/lib...001028-005.pdf
    Last edited by BWM; 07-14-2003 at 11:00 PM.

Well folks, thanks for the input. I just snuck out and picked up a 160gb WD special edition at compusa (knowing my luck, I'm sure they'll be some $80 special at dell or someother store next week).

Well it does have a very slight whine (I've currently got it running in a USB external enclosure and I've got sensitive ears..) but its much quieter than the maxtor 200gb +9 in terms of read/write noise (very subtle clicks versus the maxtor's snap crackle pop)... If it wasn't for the HDD light, i wouldn't know the WD was working...

np, that was a quick purchase!

well, I put the WD in the case along with my maxtor +9 and I'm not liking the sound addition. I guess my rig was too quiet before(watercooled, all fans running utra quiet) but that subtle whine of the WD is quite noticable. I'll give it a few days to see if my ears get used to it. Else it going back into the external enclosure (its primary use is data/video backup). Makes me appreciate how quiet the FDB is on the maxtor's...

I have a WD1200JB (Special Edition 8MB cache) and I'm very happy with its performance and noise levels.

Have you tried using rubber grommets when you install the HD in the HDD cage? I have a Sonata case that uses this technique and the results are very good.

Also you could try downloading & using the WD Data Lifeguard tool to enable acoustic management on the drive (not sure if these drives support this or not but it's worth a shot).

grommets won't fit on a lian li drive cage (snug fit). Either way, grommets only eliminate the lower freq. noise created by the read/write activities (which is not the issue with this drive). I can hold this drive in my hands and the high pitch whine is still noticeable.

also note i've got the 160gb and not the 120gb...

grrr... <must dig out floppy drive and reattach to run those disk diag. tools...> hate to take the performance hit by enabling acoustic management if it applies to the hdd or not...