Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My alternative guess is that your drives run at a lower temp than ours, and/or you don't run them 24/7 like I do. The reason I make this assumption is that I think it's not seeking that makes the WD drives start whining like crazy, but rather simply being on, and spinning.

Red face

I was thinking on maybe leaving my raid alone on getting a maxtor 8mb 160gig for backup-they are on sale now for $60 bucks plus tax, but with one more wd I can run a raid 0+1 with 240gig back up-still seems a better way to go I run my computer all the time thats why I say I had a problem too running a wd on the ide controller -it sounded bad, but when I added to a raid the sound is gone ,so I did fix my problem.

You had a whiny WD drive, then made it part of a RAID 0 array, and all of a sudden, it was quiet? Sorry, I just can't believe that.

The type of whining we're talking about here occurs whenever the drive is on, period. It is less prominent when the drive is removed from the case, but it's still very much there, and very obvious.

The annoying whine is caused by ball bearing imperfections while the drive spins. How you cable the drive up makes no difference whatsoever (as we've seen, even not having the drive cabled at all results in the same whine).

You must have reoriented or remounted the drives, changed something else, or the noise problem you had wasn't the same type. There is no other alternative (assuming you didn't lose some hearing ).

Red face

Thiis noise bug was the drive heads clicking on and off, the ide sends a signal to the drive to turn on with highpoint raid and ide , using double boot in bios, =this is only a problem with my setup, so I just put wd on the highpoint and that big clicking noise when the heads go on in off stopped-this only occurred during startup-but sounded real bad-maxtors do not make this sound. The mod told me what the clicking sound is because I did not know either.

well after giving this 160 WD a chance, I'm gonna RMA it as the high pitch whine is getting real annoying. meanwhile, I'm happy with how quiet my maxtor 200gb is doing now with the acoustic mgt on, I might get a seagate for a change...

HAH! The Western Digital whine can bring anyone to their knees!

Good choice.

just wish there wasn't such a premium on seagates vs others. Once my WD rma replacement comes in, I'm just gonna sell it and move on... now to find who's got the best price on seagates 120gb.

You'll like the Seagate models. With very few exceptions, they're the quietest IDE drives around.

Originally posted by pakman
    just wish there wasn't such a premium on seagates vs others. Once my WD rma replacement comes in, I'm just gonna sell it and move on... now to find who's got the best price on seagates 120gb.

NewEgg.com has Seagate 7,200-RPM 120-GB drives with 2-MB caches for $94, and 8-MB caches for $103.

Compare this to $101 for a comparable 2-MB cache Maxtor drive, and $114 for the 8-MB cache model. Yes, the Maxtors are ATA/133 and the Seagates are ATA/100, but I don't put a crap's worth of concern on that.

Also compare the Seagate price to $98 for a comparable 2-MB cache Western Digital drive, and $102 for the 8-MB cache model (both of which are junky, whiny pieces of garbage; just ask me, I have one).

Looks to me like the Seagates are a good buy all around. As far as who is cheapest, NewEgg.com is among them. And anyone cheaper is a vendor I wouldn't trust offhand. Go with a vendor who you know will stand behind it if something goes wrong a year and a half from now--that's NewEgg.com.

thanks nameless. I did some research this morning and it looks like newegg has the best prices. I think I even may go with the 160gb version.

I don't see a 160-MB hard drive on NewEgg.com.

Originally posted by nameless
    Imagine my previous suffering... I had four 7,200-RPM Western Digital ball-bearing drives! One WD1200JB, one WD2000JB, and two WD1000BB drives. Awful!

I sent the two WD1000BB drives back to NewEgg about a week ago.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Now I will have THREE of those %!$#% WD1200JB drives! For the two WD1000BB drives I sent back last week, NewEgg is sending me a pair of WD1200JB's! Oh, my poor ears.

So, I can either sell them and get half of what they're worth, or use them and hope they don't rob me of what little sanity I now cling to.

But at least I'll have ~40 more GB than before.

Yay, got my refund (-$15)

gonna check out the new cuda 7 120 gig drive...hope it's as silent as the review says!
    Antec True430 PSU
    ---
    Abit IC7 motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4c @ 264*12 = 3.17 GHz, mem * 4/5 divider = 210 MHz
    Zalman CNPS-7000 AlCu CPU cooler
    2x256 MB TwinMos/Winbond CH-5 PC3200 DDR RAM, 6-3-2 cas 2, 2.8v (from marmaduke!)
    Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 128 MB video card @ 290/515
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard w/ Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers
    ---
    IDE 1-1 WD 80 GB, 8 MB cache | IDE 1-2 n/a
    IDE 2-1 Sony 16x DVD-ROM | IDE 2-2 Lite-On 52x24x52 CD-RW
    ---
    my heatware

Red face

If you raid these wd 120 , they donot make much noise because the wd are not working as hard ? But in any case raiding really got rid of that clicking noise when they first start up and only click once when turned off.try moving your box away from your ears. Turn your fans up a bit if you have adj fans, put a peice of rubber matting inside the case. I am not really haveing any problems with the drives, I have-they are all the two platter versions, I would think the three platter versions would make more noise,the wd are faster than other drives 7200 ide, I guess thats the price you pay for speed- I too wish , I bought a seagate ,but the wd are working ok for me,maybe I buy a spare one from you. I am planning on running a lot of video stuff and that eats up 2 gigs a hour, If you have three platter versions, rma them because you have a good chance of getting a refurbished two platter version that should make less noise run cooler and they are also faster,.
    Last edited by sunofwolf; 08-14-2003 at 04:32 AM.

The problem that I (and many, many others) have had with the 7,200-RPM WD drives isn't clicking noises, but whining noises. The whine--which, in more severe cases is incredibly annoying--is caused by ball bearing imperfections. Running such a drive in a RAID configuration won't help at all.

I wonder if, now that NewEgg is sending me new drives, I can return them. Hey, they are new drives, right? (I know, it doesn't work that way. I bought the original drives--the ones these are replacing--about a year and a half ago.)