Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I guess I've had good luck then

I have 2 120gb 8mb cache WD hd's that run flawlessly, can't hear any odd noises.

And last night I just installed a WD 200gb 8mb cache into a firewire enclosing and the fan in the enclosing is still louder then the hd (which isn't that loud to begin with)

I guess I'm just lucky or something.

Originally posted by sunofwolf
    If you raid these wd 120 , they donot make much noise because the wd are not working as hard ? But in any case raiding really got rid of that clicking noise when they first start up and only click once when turned off.try moving your box away from your ears. Turn your fans up a bit if you have adj fans, put a peice of rubber matting inside the case. I am not really haveing any problems with the drives, I have-they are all the two platter versions, I would think the three platter versions would make more noise,the wd are faster than other drives 7200 ide, I guess thats the price you pay for speed- I too wish , I bought a seagate ,but the wd are working ok for me,maybe I buy a spare one from you. I am planning on running a lot of video stuff and that eats up 2 gigs a hour, If you have three platter versions, rma them because you have a good chance of getting a refurbished two platter version that should make less noise run cooler and they are also faster,.
    Clicking noises at the end of spinup are 100% normal. Its the head stack unparking. One click at power-OFF is normal as well, the heads are parking. Any other clicking, aside from normal seek noise, is not normal.

Red face

I guess wd is making a lot of lemons lately.

well, mine was almost not noticeable... but, my computer is really quiet, so I found the slight whine distractive, to say the least. I'm looking for silence...and hopefully seagate will give it to me.
    Antec True430 PSU
    ---
    Abit IC7 motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4c @ 264*12 = 3.17 GHz, mem * 4/5 divider = 210 MHz
    Zalman CNPS-7000 AlCu CPU cooler
    2x256 MB TwinMos/Winbond CH-5 PC3200 DDR RAM, 6-3-2 cas 2, 2.8v (from marmaduke!)
    Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 128 MB video card @ 290/515
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard w/ Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers
    ---
    IDE 1-1 WD 80 GB, 8 MB cache | IDE 1-2 n/a
    IDE 2-1 Sony 16x DVD-ROM | IDE 2-2 Lite-On 52x24x52 CD-RW
    ---
    my heatware

Originally posted by sunofwolf
    I guess wd is making a lot of lemons lately.
    I wouldn't go quite that far. By their very nature, forums like this one and who knows how many others reap far more posts about complaints/problems etc than kudos. It is also a tiny percentage of the total number sold.

Red face

Well the ups man just dropped off another lemon-a brand new three platter version 120wd se to add to my three 120wd two platter versions-one is refurbished two platter-two brand new, now I am really mixing them in, at least its brand new and not refurbished, should work ok any way- on to a massive raid 0000 with four wd's 120 for 480 gig raid drive. With my four lemons, I can make a lemon cake.Well off to feed my tiger and Lion cat,one black panther and one,one coon. The cats our mean right now and I got scratched by the huge 30 coon cat-he can be dangerous and attacked the Lion burmese cat-extremely rare-looks like a miniture mountain lion and roars too.

wow you are extremely lemon-lucky
    Antec True430 PSU
    ---
    Abit IC7 motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4c @ 264*12 = 3.17 GHz, mem * 4/5 divider = 210 MHz
    Zalman CNPS-7000 AlCu CPU cooler
    2x256 MB TwinMos/Winbond CH-5 PC3200 DDR RAM, 6-3-2 cas 2, 2.8v (from marmaduke!)
    Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 128 MB video card @ 290/515
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard w/ Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers
    ---
    IDE 1-1 WD 80 GB, 8 MB cache | IDE 1-2 n/a
    IDE 2-1 Sony 16x DVD-ROM | IDE 2-2 Lite-On 52x24x52 CD-RW
    ---
    my heatware

Originally posted by eazyc10
    I guess I've had good luck then

I have 2 120gb 8mb cache WD hd's that run flawlessly, can't hear any odd noises.

And last night I just installed a WD 200gb 8mb cache into a firewire enclosing and the fan in the enclosing is still louder then the hd (which isn't that loud to begin with)

I guess I'm just lucky or something.
    Well, my one WD1000BB drive that was really bad was fine for a full year of continuous use, and only after that period of time did it get really bad. So don't gloat just yet.

Originally posted by BWM
    I wouldn't go quite that far. By their very nature, forums like this one and who knows how many others reap far more posts about complaints/problems etc than kudos. It is also a tiny percentage of the total number sold.
    I don't think it's "lemons", but rather Western Digital's insistence on continuing to use outdated ball-bearing technology. No fluid dynamic bearing (FDB) have the whine problem the WD drives do.

I have had four WD drives of late (my latest two aren't installed yet). All of them have an annoying whine, to one degree or another. These drives are different models, different lots, made at different times, and bought from different vendors. There is no way I got four lemons. Ball bearing drives must die!

sighs,

The BB series drives have nothing in common with the JB series. all of the single-platter JB drives are whisper-quiet, you can't hear them spinning or accessing at all. The double-platter drives are louder. WD makes at least 5 different lines of drives, ranging from the OEM cheapo drives up to the Enterprise editions drives, and every line of drives is different. Generalizing comments like "WD drives are noisy" just don't make sense. You might as well say: "all hard drives are noisy because I had one once that was noisy."
    I have 2 800JB's running in RAID-1 here, I can't hear them at all even with my ear right next to them, can't tell if they're on or off and accessing is impossible to hear as well. They have over 10,000 hours on them (each).

Even bigger sighs,

I didn't say that all Western Digital drives were noisy, just that all 7,200-RPM Western Digital ball-bearing drives run a high chance of being noisy.

The BB and JB drives do have much in common--everything except the cache size (2MB or 8MB). Compare the drives I have: One WD1200JB, and two WD1200BB's:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...veID=12&lang=1
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....ted=1037222838

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...veID=27&lang=1
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....ted=1037222945

Everything in the specs for these two models is identical, except for the cache size. Everything. They are the same drive with a different cache component.

Ball-bearing drives are much more prone to noise than FDB drives are. I know you got a nice feeling from trying to put me in my place, but unfortunately you are incorrect. Unless you know more than Western Digital does:

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001052-000.pdf

FDB dramatically reduces noise levels over BB [that is, ball bearing] since there is no mechanical contact between the drive housing and the turning part of the spindle motor. The fluid in FDB hard drives also acts as a damping agent, further limiting noise levels... FDB designs provide increased storage capacity, non-operational shock resistance, speed control, shipping and handling robustness, and improved acoustics.
    So, if I have four or six various Western Digital drives, and they're all whiny, and I take the Western Digital document quoted and linked to above at face value, and I correspond with many other Western Digital users with whiny drives, here and at Silent PC Review, am I still "generalizing" to say that the 7,200-RPM ball-bearing drives are whiny? No.
    Last edited by nameless; 08-14-2003 at 08:25 PM.

Originally posted by nameless
    Even bigger sighs,

The BB and JB drives do have much in common--everything except the cache size (2MB or 8MB).
    Some models of the same capacity in the BB and JB lines also use different density platters. WD's spec sheets are rarely updated but when they eventually are, it shows the differences. One example is the 400JB, a single platter design, while the 400BB uses two platters.

Sure, some, but not all. It's all beside the point anyway, which is that BB drives are generally noisier than FDB drives, and in some cases (especially with 7,200-RPM models) are downright obnoxiously whiny. That's the only point. Not that all WD drives are noisy, or bad, or that "this model" is different than "that model".

BB drives aren't whisper quiet. Western Digital says so, and for anyone else to argue is crazy.

As far as reliability, I can't complain one bit--though the noise has annoyed me to tears, I haven't had any one of my several WD drives fail on me. I'd take "whiny" over "lost data" any day, all else being equal.
    Last edited by nameless; 08-14-2003 at 09:32 PM.

The BB and JB drives do have much in common
    That would explain why the JB has a 3-year warranty while the BB does not?
    The point is that they are not all noisy, I have 5 that are not the least bit noisy. I stopped using Maxtors a while back (pre-fluid-bearing) because they whined terribly, but I don't assume that all Maxtors whine. All ball-bearing drives aren't noisy either.
    Drive mounting, case design and such have a lot more to do with the perceived noise level than the drive does. Here, each drive is solidly screwed into an aluminum cage with 6 screws each, the case is mounted on rubber washers and it's as quiet as can be. Steel cages in plastic boxes can be very noisy. It's all relative anyway, but the statement that all ball-bearing drives are noisy is just not accurate.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
    The statement that all ball-bearing drives are noisy is just not accurate.
    You are correct. I have had a good many BB drives that weren't particularly noisy. The statement should be that 7,200-RPM Western Digital ball-bearing drives, like the WD1000BB and the WD1200JB, have a strong tendency to be noisy. A further clarification on the statement would be that FDB is generally quieter.

Speaking of FDB, does anyone know if WD has any plans to begin using it? Or have they?