Question

After a year with my trusty 600 classic, the time for a new machine is close at hand. I would greatly appreciate your patience and advice regarding my upgrade endeavor.
    Last Friday I picked up a Cooler Master ATC200 Value Server case without a PS to start with. On Monday or Tuesday Iíll be receiving four 80mm Panaflo H1A's to replace the low RPM stock YS Techís. I also plan on using rounded cables and a fan bus.

As for the rest of the system I'd like to put together a DDR system complete with a new T-bird(266). So I plan to wait until the new T-birds hit the market and read some reviews before I make up my "mind". Whether it's an "old" T-bird or a new one, I'd like to get a minimum of 1GHz which brings me to the point of this post, the power supply. Yesterday I picked up an Enermax EG451P-VE 431W and think that the AMD desirable Thermal Mechanical feature(pdf) will go nicely with the case and like the noiseless feature. It is an AMD approved PS, but only up to 1GHz. Does that necessarily mean that it wonít run a system with a 1+ GHz T-bird? Or is it that they didnít test it above 1GHz? I compared the Enermax to a Sparkle FSP400-60GN 400W (pdf) and the specs. seem very close. (The Sparkle is AMD recommended up to 1.2GHz.) The place that I bought the Enermax from also has the Sparkle, should I exchange the Enermax for the Sparkle? Or do you think the Enermax will be fine? Here is a rough idea of what Iíd like my new system to have:
    • 1+GHz (266) T-bird
    • A7M266
    • 128-256MB PC2100
    • 40X CDROM, 12X8X32X CD-RW, & floppy *
    • 30G or so 7200rpm DMA100 HD, 20.5G 7200rpm DMA66 HD *
    • GeForce2 GTS 64 megger *
    • havenít looked into a sound card yet.
    • USR 56k v90 modem *
    • ViewSonic 21Ē *

* Will be moved from my current system to the new one.
    Please excuse my ignorance and thank you for your time and advice!!

[Edited by Christop54 on 02-11-2001 at 07:56 PM]

Wink

Both should work fine. I purchased the Enermax 451 because of the reviews & the dual fans to keep the unit cool & quiet. I previously had a PCPowercooling 300w P/S & it drove me nuts with the 44db fan. The company allowed me to return it & exchage it for the 275w unit. It is the same P/S but has a 32 dba fan. The life cycle was less, but I could hear myself at the computer.

I upgraded to the Enermax & love it.

Pat
    Asus A7V133 133GHz 266 T-Bird 10.0x133 KingMax PC-150 Ram SwifTech 462-A CPU Cooler Enermax 430w P/S Hercules GTS Pro SB MP3 5.1+ Plextor Burner Pioneer DVD BA 7500 Sound

Grandpa's Need For Speed

Cool

Stay with the Enermax 430watt you'll be happy you did. If you don't feel comfortable with it, move up to the 550 watt version.

I can't see anything in your list that would require that much power though. Note that the 430 watt Enermax can handle the special power needs of the P4, with that said, I think you'll be fine.

Unhappy

Thanks for your replys guys. Welcome to amdmb.com Grandpa!! This is a great site and I hope to see many many of your posts!!!

PowerHungry,
    Basically my only concern was/is if the Enermax will run a T-bird over 1GHz even though it's only rate for 1GHz. To be honest I kinda wondered if 430watts was too much/overkill for what I plan on running. About the only way I'd go for a T-bird over 1GHz is if the price difference wasn't bad. I know in real world/everyday use that the difference between a 1GHz CPU and a 1.2-1.3GHz CPU isn't noticible to the average person (me ). But the diff between a 600MHz classic and a 1GHz T-bird would probably be just fine for me. Basically I wanted a PS that would have a little headroom if I decided to go over 1GHz. Also I don't see me building this machine before I move to Illinois in May and don't want to have a PS that I can't use or return. Oh and what does it mean for a PS to be able to handle the special power needs of the P4? (forgive my ignorance, and I realize that I am being paranoid/overly cautious and maybe a pain in the a$$ for which I apologize.) One more thing and I'm going to play some Deus Ex. I got my 80mm Panaflo H1A's today and was wondering if anyone knows of a website that I can find the specs. for these fans? I did some searching and came up with this pdf but I'm not sure if my fans are listed. Here is the info off of the fans:

Panaflo
    DC brushless
    0105EN-1A
    MODEL FBA08A12H
    DC12V 0.25A
    Matsushita Electric

Thanks!! Oh...I lied one more thing. Does anyone have some fanbus advice for an idiot? The wires on these fans are about 12" long...should I buy more wire and splice? Can anyone recommend a fanbus? I've seen some pre-made and kits around....any help would be greatly appreciated.

<marquee> </marquee>

[Edited by Christop54 on 02-12-2001 at 08:29 PM]

Cool

Christop54, I purchased the 430 watt Enermax for the same reason and that was to have a power supply that gave me some head room.

The Enermax has two different mobo ATX type connectors, the one everybody uses and the new one that P4's require ( I believe for it's additional 12volt power requirement, but don't hold me to it, I'm not sure).

Talking

So in otherwords...shut your mouth ...get the PS out of the box...stick it in the case and get on with life? Thanks and take care!!!!

Cool

No, Id say something like " get off your arss put the darn thing in the case and enjoy"!!

Talking

Originally posted by PowerHungry
    No, Id say something like " get off your arss put the darn thing in the case and enjoy"!!
    Thanks man!!!! (You wrote basically what I was thinking when I typed my last post ) I just needed somebody to kick me in the rear end! Unfortunately I had to take the intake fan grill off, otherwise I could only put one screw in. Even though it's in, the "bracket" that the PS sits in is blocking 1/4 of the intake fan . Oh, and I stumbled upon this thread over in the Abit forum. Here is the setup of the person that started the thread:
    T-bird 1000@1200 Arcticsilver 33c idel 47c full load 1.85v Io 3.50 Enermax EG451P-VE psu Abit KT7-Raid Mobo 256cas2sdram IBM 75gxp 30.7gb udma100 W-Digital 10gb udma 66 3D Blaster Geforch 2 Ultra 275\483 sblive platinum live drive 2 19in CTX monitor Atx Mid tower Globalwin fop38 Heatsink & Fan 2 80mm Casefans 1 Slot twin fan Under Video card

I think I'll be fine Thanks again and take care!!!!!!!!

Cool

All you need now is a Lian-Li Aluminum Case!!!!!

Lian-Li......I think I'll stick with my Cooler Master for a WHILE. After spending almost $300...I'm gonna get some mileage out of this thing. I just wish the PS would go in without any probs and the intake fans on the front were easier to take out. Know of any modding sites with good FAQ's/tutorials?

Thumbs up

Christop54, listening to PowerHungry's advises 2 months ago, I got an Enermax EG-451P-VE (435w) for my A7V+1G TBord, and it really rocks silently !!!!

Do put it in and enjoy. (Well, first turn the switch on :-D )

Talking

Thanks for the info OldFrog!