Thread: a7v-vm

Question a7v-vm

I have Asus a7v-vm 1.02 (uatx) w/locked bios(HP-Phoenix LTD 2.08 03/01/01). I would like to upgrade the cpu, will the bios detect a different FSB (133 vs 100) if I were to use a 266 fsb proc? Current proc is 850mhz/200fsb. Is there a bios flash that can unlock my current bios? Thanks for any help,I've been looking for this info on hardware review sites and even Asus site doesn't have info on this board , I know it's an oldie but still works well.

AFAIK the V-VM allowed only 100FSB CPUS, so I'm not sure the board will even let you run the new T-breds. Even if it does, you will be running them at 100FSB, thus getting sub-par perfromance.

That said, a 2400 XP will run at about 1.5 GHz on the board, so assuming it can run, it is not a very bad jump from that 850 T-bird.

Here is what I've been able to find on H-P's web site on this board , I should have posted this in my original query..my apologies..I'm a greenhorn

ASUS A7V-VM

Motherboard Supplier
    ASUS

System BIOS Supplier
    Phoenix

Form Factor
    uATX

Processor Brand
    AMD

Processor Socket Type
    Socket-A (PGA462)

Processor Family
    Athlon (T-Bird, Palomino),
    Duron (Spitfire, Morgan)

Maximum Processor Core Frequency
    1.67GHz Palomino,
    1.4GHz T-Bird;
    1.2Ghz Morgan

Proc. Front Side Bus Freq.
    266/200MHz

Chipset Name
    Via KM133A

Chipset "North Bridge" & Revision
    KM133A (VT8365A)

Chipset "South Bridge" & Revision
    VT82C686B rev CE

Super I/O
    (N/A)

Flash BIOS Device
    Xbus 2Mbit

Memory Type
    SDRAM

Memory Speed
    PC133

Memory Sockets

Well, the KM133A is a chipset I'm familiar with. You can safely run a Palomino up to 2100+, but those are not that easy to find, and a beast to cool down.

If you have a voltage reverser (Asus usually puts one in) you should be able to run a 2400+, which is the highest 133FSB processor available at this time, some samples of 133FSB 2600+ were also made, but I dunno if those are readily available.

The only real way to find out is to buy from a place that has a good return policy. If the board can take a 1900 Pally (1.67 GHz) it should be able to take a 2000/2100 also. So you could get a T-Bred and if it doesn't work switch it for a Pally.

What about power supply?? the ol'h-p has a 185 w power supply,is this adequate, can I upgrade the video @ the same time ? Or am I better off starting from scratch and building a new system?Thanks again for your help

Well I would tell you build a new system from scratch, but it doesn't have to be that way. Let's say you need to strictly stay within spec, in that case we will select a CPU which stays within the same core power that the TB 850 draws.

Looking at this chart: http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

you don't have that many options - the XP1700+ Tbred B seems to be the way forward, even though you can't really OC it with that PSU. I guess it should be able to take an XP1800+. But the PC133 will slow it right down.

On a pinch you can pick up a nice nF2 or KT600 board with some decent DDR if you're not planning to OC, XP2100s are quite cheap now, and a good power supply and you'll be good to go. I assume you don't need a monitor or a new hard disk, so you can hold the upgrade for a bit. A 9600 Pro or Ti 4200 should be able to play current games just fine (if you're into that sort of thing, you didn't say) and the 9600 is somewhat future-proof too.

Thanks for the info , I think I might try the t-bred 1700 route just to squeeze a little more performance from this computer . Am planning to build a new system during the long cold minnesota winter,so my son will inherit this one thanks for your interest and help

Question a7v -vm

I'm new tonight....heh. I have an a7v as well, but my ata 100 drivers aren't working properly. I previously had a 30 gig hd installed and got a boot driver error which brought me to the hardware menu screen.
    I went out and bought an 80 gig and although W2000 sees the hd, the bios won't. I can't make the settings see the hd as the primary master...it still thinks that the cd reader and cd burner are primary master and slave, but won't see the hd when I turn auto on both primary and secondary. Of course the hd is set to single. I need help...I'm about to pull my hairs out one by one. <kidding> but it is frustrating....I just want to know if I can even make the motherboard's bios see the 80 gig hd at all and surrender by buying a newer mb, case (blah, blah) I saw what you wrote and thought maybe you already had the same problem as my motherboard...cause I'm thinking that I'll have to update my ata100 drivers like you did.....similary you updated a driver or so...and I'll just get another 30 gig instead.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Well, the BIOS will not see the disk as it is limited to 37GB disks only, I'm not sure if a BIOS update will cure it - but if it doesn't, you will be out of luck. Try this: http://www.asus.com.tw/support/support.aspx and search for your board BIOS.

If you want to install 2000/XP on it they will anyway recognise the drive from their installation CD. Even if you saw it in BIOS, you couldn't run fDisk on it - because that doesn't see 80 GB disks, so you might as well just install and accept the fact that the BIOS will not see it. It should still boot correctly, though. Doesn't hurt to try, if it doesn't work you can always get a 30 GB disk or upgrade the whole system.

You may need to recover files once in a while, so have a nice ghosting utility and keep your recovery floppies handy.

carpenter - if the CPU doesn;t work on the board, there's no reverser and you will HAVE to buy a new board. FYI.

Says here (From Sticky) that with the 1010 bios you have 48 bit support. Should be no limitation.

Welcome boufo2000

Ok...I think that I will have to figure out how to update the driver for the ata100 since I purchased the mb before 2003. Thank you for the link.

I'm thinking that I might screw things up though. So, before I do an update, I'll get another 30 gig and see if the bios will see it....if the bios doesn't see the new hardware, then could it be that the mb just has a bad ata100 primary slot area?

I'm still a bit new to the whole tweaking your computer scene (in the bios), I have the upgrading and repairing book (10th Anniv. Ed.) and I've been reading that occasionally, but sometimes it just doesn't have the information that you all have from being experienced. You all are really helpfull... Thanks for being here.

hi... im using a A7V-VM too with a AMD Duron 850MHz processor... izzit possible 2 overclock it? if possible i would like 2 noe how... thanks