Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    CBOE= Chicago Board Options Exchange. it's where you can trade listed options...

nice place to short AMD stock...

Originally posted by pakman
    CBOE= Chicago Board Options Exchange. it's where you can trade listed options...

nice place to short AMD stock...

Uhh... if you mean capitalizing on a downward movement,
    I believe you were referring to selling/trading puts.

Shorting a stock does not involve options.

New forum? Stock options-r-us

Originally posted by Susquehannock
    Uhh... if you mean capitalizing on a downward movement,
    I believe you were referring to selling/trading puts.

Shorting a stock does not involve options.
    true, shorting a stock doesn't have to involve options, but can be done by trading put option on that stock. anyways, I always end calling the market wrong and end up scrambling to cover my positions...

Ive made 3000 dollars on AMD.
    thanks AMD your the best

1400 share i own and bought it at 9.20
    XP2000+ Unlocked
    pc3200 ram
    Geforce 3 Ti 200
    80 gig ATA 133 HDD 7200 RPM
    20 gig ATA 66 HDD 7200 RPM
    Plextor 121032 burner
    Sparkle 400watt (+5 volt Modded)

Originally posted by steven975
    yes, intel is going up, as well.

Intel likely won't have anything new until Q1'04, unless they can get prescott out this year. If they do, it will likely be a paper launch; 110W is too much heat to be practical...especially if they're gonna warranty it.

Regardless, AMD is gonna have more events in the near future...and it is events that spark interest and trading volume.
    Right now the tech's are running up a bit (well the market as a whole), AMD also reacted to Intels boost positively as well. Intel will likely spark another run-up for chip makers when quarterly's get announced, AMD may may impact the chip makers negatively or neutral when they announce their quarterly's, if I were on the AMD board I would announce BEFORE Intel as the Intel quarter would offset a downward trend AMD will see after they post their quarterly's. AMD should get another boost at the time of the A64 hitting the shelves. After that is when uncertainty plays, most FA's are convinced Intel's market dominance, and OEM channels will keep them (or even boost) market share (meaning AMD shrinks in market), whereas a few FA's believe AMD will gain market share. Myself, I believe "status quo" until the performance of both the A64 and Prescott aren't mere speculation, possibly 1-2Q's after Prescott hit the shelves, then we should know who has the advantage performance-wise, and if it's AMD whether they can break into OEM or not - which would decide their fate as a "dominate" player.

Q4 traditionally is a stagnet to a negative quarter, so if you own either stock just hold them, they'll rebound if history holds true.

stock

I know i will take a hit but i think it would be best to sell AMD after Sept 22nd when they anounce the AMD 64. What do you think?
    XP2000+ Unlocked
    pc3200 ram
    Geforce 3 Ti 200
    80 gig ATA 133 HDD 7200 RPM
    20 gig ATA 66 HDD 7200 RPM
    Plextor 121032 burner
    Sparkle 400watt (+5 volt Modded)

nobody1, well put... even with a successful launch of athlon64, AMD's got a long ways to go to break that status quo... especially as perceived by the sheep on wall street (I mean equity analysts...) as well as by the general investing public...

myself & I, nice job on your amd stock pick... you might want to hedge your position, just in case... (if you wanna be conservative... hehehe). for the hell of it, I picked up 400 shares on Tues morning when amd dipped back below 10... so far up 12% (not as nice as your gain...) now let's see what sept and Q4 brings... dooh!

the next quarterly announcement won't be until mid-late october, for either company.

a64 comes out before that.

while Financial analysts do have the skills to rate company financials, they know next to nothing about market forces, ESPECIALLY in technology; they try to use past data to predict the future too much...business schools focus on that...and besides, most MBAs (which is what these FA's usually are) don't know much about advanced statistics because most programs (and especially the top ones) don't teach much about it, thus statistics are often misused (or used for the sake of using).

<self promotion>
    by the way, i happen to be a FA myself I'm in corporate, not securities, but I'm also a MBA and know what is and is not taught in business school. I also have a degree in economics, so I consider myself more able than my peers to utilize advanced statistics and to consider non-finance issues when looking at companies </self promotion>.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Re: stock

Originally posted by Myself and I
    I know i will take a hit but i think it would be best to sell AMD after Sept 22nd when they anounce the AMD 64. What do you think?
    Depends on what the charts look like then, I happen to study stock and commoditie charts and technical indicators and am pretty damn good at it so here is my thinking

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/int...&time=8&freq=1

Economy is getting better and people are buying comps like crazy.
    I work at a big office systems dealer and can testify to that.

Second the charts say people are buying this stock cause people are getting back into the markets again now too.

And the charts are up around overbought territory but may stay there for awhile. Looking at the history of the stock this move is trend breaker that everybody has been waiting for but its due for some profit takeing and consolidation. If I was in the stock I would be trailing it a ways back with a sell stop to take some profits but also put a buy stop in at 13.5 and get back owning it.

On the other hand if your lazy I say buy it right after we get this break cause in reality its been in a big downtrend for 1 1/2 years and its obviously bottomed out. Amd will survive and I think it would be a great buy.

Lastley

I would reconsider selling this stock short, it has too much potential to get back up to around the 20's

good luck
    Last edited by Beerlover; 09-05-2003 at 07:27 PM.

nice input beerlover... wonder if amdforums would consider opening a tech investment forum... especially now that people are just starting to lick their wounds from the tech bubble burst...

Re: AMD STOCK

Originally posted by Myself and I
    I just bought 12500 dollars worth "1400 shares" I have made about 1300 dollars so far off amd the last week. I believe the stock will jump past 11 dollars when they announce the new processor..
    I will probbly sell after that though

I still would buy intel right now if i was going to upgrade. It might be just a hype thing since they are annoucing a new cpu.
    Getting kinda late now to buy but because its surging quite fast.
    later

Good deal

watch for that break....its coming I think they will do great in the coming year. alot of new games are coming out the winter that will almost obsolete the box im useing now. The first doom game caused everyone to go scrambling for computer parts the fastest they could get and doom 3 is going to do the same thing again.

Geeze whish I had about 13 grand to throw on it

Originally posted by pakman
    nice input beerlover... wonder if amdforums would consider opening a tech investment forum... especially now that people are just starting to lick their wounds from the tech bubble burst...
    Yeah right , I will say that in sept 99 I predicted the end of the bull market with in 3 months, basically I said when 2000 gets here, thats all folks , well we had a good Jan affect, { poor optomistic suckers } then boom !! LOL

things are so off and fragmented its hard these days to even have a clue...

GL

Hehe.....why not get 100 shares and let it ride for the month I says to myself.

Originally posted by Beerlover
    Yeah right , I will say that in sept 99 I predicted the end of the bull market with in 3 months, basically I said when 2000 gets here, thats all folks , well we had a good Jan affect, { poor optomistic suckers } then boom !! LOL

things are so off and fragmented its hard these days to even have a clue...

GL

Alas ... I was in the trenches during that time.
    What a Bloodbath !!

Got out of the high risk stocks in late '99 and
    early 2k and invested in companies like DYII and PNRA.
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Watching the NAZ drop from 5k+ to under 3k was
    amazing. The rise in 1998 with the .Com stocks was one thing,
    but the second boom in 1999 with the BtoB stock was nothing
    short of phenomenal!
    The weirdest part of all was that many of
    the analysts were saying "Fundamentals Don't matter anymore!".
    What a crock that was!
    That was the mentality that allowed stocks that were in the red
    by billions to enjoy multi-billion dollar Market caps, without
    making a dime!
    Watched -CMRC- go from 70 to almost 900 in just a
    few short months. It would have broke 1000 a share
    if it didn't split a few days before.
    Now the stock has pulled a 1:10 split (reverse split) basically
    erasing all the splits during the boom.

The worst one of all is NAVISITE INC ...-NAVI- =
    1:15 split :
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NAVI&d=...y&l=on&z=m&q=l
    Now that's a scary chart!!
    Last edited by Susquehannock; 08-30-2003 at 03:42 PM.