Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Nice work...I was puzzling over that for a while. Klipsch has a decoder http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?prodID=8, and Yamaha has 4, but they may be hard to find because they are brand new. http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/idx_cavit.asp

Can you add these to the top post?

EDIT: Three Yamaha decoders only support "virtual" Dolby and DTS through 2 speakers and a subwoofer. Only the processor with the amplifier does the real thing. A shame, they seem nice. If they don't support 4.1, 5.1, and 6.1, why bother making them, especially at those prices?

I'm leaning to the Midiland - anyone have any experience with it?
    Last edited by Sed; 08-25-2003 at 01:09 AM.

Sed,
    Thanks for the info.. I've updated the list. Cheers!

Originally posted by Sed
    EDIT: Three Yamaha decoders only support "virtual" Dolby and DTS through 2 speakers and a subwoofer. Only the processor with the amplifier does the real thing. A shame, they seem nice. If they don't support 4.1, 5.1, and 6.1, why bother making them, especially at those prices?
    Dunno.. Marketing hype..

Going completely digital

You can go completely digital, all the way to the speaker now.

See my links about the new digital amps that are becoming available.

New Digital Amplifiers

I agree with the new wave of speakers and amps going digital. Meridian makes digital speakers already and they have on board 24bit/192khz DAC's.

But its not really available on the market at prices you would associate with PC speakers. The other thing to note is that you would still require some form of Dolby Digital decoding to get the benefits of Soundstorm.

Cool link though.. and hopefully digital speakers will come down in prices so that mere mortals can afford such things..

Cheers.

I should have mentioned that I think the best approach to adding a sound system to a PC is to use seperate amplifier and speakers. Generally the problem with PC speakers is the quality of the speakers themselves. Although it is a bit more expensive to buy seperate amp and speakers, it allows you to upgrade your system gradually without having to throw everything away when you decide to upgrade.

Buy the best amp you can afford. Then test out and buy speakers that meet your desired quality level. If you can't, you can always upgrade later. You also don't have to buy the whole system at once, as you could buy just 2 speakers, then upgrade to 5.1 later. At least the speaker choices are much much greater going this route and are usually of much higher quality.

The amp I mentioned in my link does not have or use DACs, it is driving the speakers in the digital domain. Well not really, it is a PWM signal. There are none of the usual analog amplification issues. The amp also decodes all variants of DD and DTS, so it would meet or exceed the requirements of SoundStorm output. So it is a bit different than almost all other "digital speakers" (I think a couple of companies use the same technology, but are very hard to find)
    Last edited by HD_HTPC; 08-26-2003 at 09:28 AM.

ahhhh...

I completely agree with the amp and speaker route.... but it costs money...
    Thanks for clearing up the DAC's and my apologies for my slow brain cells..
    Cheers

Right now I mostly want to use headphones... maybe I'll have to stick with Realtek analog-out. One complaint I've had about the last 2 sets of computer speakers I've owned, is that there was no headphone jack on them, and to use headphones I had to unplug the speakers from the back of the PC and plug the headphones in... it's a bit of a pain.

If I buy anything with a DAC I want something which supports headphones as well, and isn't too expensive. My hearing isn't so great anyways, nasty buzz in my left ear all the time, so I don't need audiophile-quality stuff.. but still it annoys me that the sound quality from this board could be better if it had a better DAC... hmm if they spent $10 more on the DAC they put on this board, I wouldn't need to buy speakers now!

what you can do is buy a Y cable adaptor so you don't have to unplug your speakers...

better quality DAC's come with added cost... probably not in the region of $10. Plus motherboard solutions are inherently bad by default of having a noisy environment. The noise is the electrical signals and other data signals and designing a clean and dedicated signalling line will cost more than what most people would pay for.

Soundstorm is a brilliant idea. You just need the right set of equipment to take advantage of it..

Cheers.

First of all, excellent thread!

I own the Onkyo GXW-5.1 and must say they are great for their price range. I got them on sale for $99 before shipping. They don't sound as good as my old Klipsch for music, but for everything else they sound as good or better(dvd's). The sub is really lacking compared to the Klipsch, but I was willing to sacrifice that for DTS/DD decoding. I don't use soundstorm, but I use the digital out on my soundcard. The great thing about these speakers is the Dolby Prologic II and all the DSP's that it can do. I can get 5.1 from any source.
    AXDA1700DUT3C JIUHB0311XPMW
    2108.20MHz (210.82x10) 1.7v

I think a general idea of street prices might help in the decision.

Lowest from Froogle:
    1) Klipsch GMX D 5.1 - $200
    2) Klipsch Promedias 5.1 WITH a decoder - $400
    3) Creative Inspire 5700, 5600 and 5500. - $250 - $165
    4) Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 and 2500 - $180 - $200
    5) Logitech Z-680 - $250
    6) yamaha Tss-10 - not found / $AU300
    7) Videologic DTS Digitheatre - not found / $400?
    8) Onkyo GWX 5.1 - not found / $90*
    9) Midiland 8200 - $300

*Even though Froogle didn't find the Onkyo's, they're on sale this month at Outpost for $90 before tax and shipping. Vann's has them for $150 with no tax and no shipping. I ordered them yesterday from Outpost and got them today (apparently I live ~90 miles north of where they're drop-shipped from). Airborne Express delivered it to my door, really beat up, in the original box -- no padding. They seem to have arrived okay though.
    Any opinions stated are mine only and do not necessarily reflect those of any business / entity or any other individual. Take any advice I might offer at your own risk. No guarantees or warranties are given or implied. If your opinion matches mine, congratulations on being right. If you heed my advice and realize monetary gains, I accept cash, checks, and money orders. If you realize spiritual gains, I'll accept a good word as you pass St. Peter, Charon, or when you take a spin on the Wheel. Finally, the key to getting the right answer is asking the right question.

Originally posted by Chang
    I think a general idea of street prices might help in the decision.

Lowest from Froogle:
    1) Klipsch GMX D 5.1 - $200
    2) Klipsch Promedias 5.1 WITH a decoder - $400
    3) Creative Inspire 5700, 5600 and 5500. - $250 - $165
    4) Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 and 2500 - $180 - $200
    5) Logitech Z-680 - $250
    6) yamaha Tss-10 - not found / $AU300
    7) Videologic DTS Digitheatre - not found / $400?
    8) Onkyo GWX 5.1 - not found / $90*
    9) Midiland 8200 - $300

*Even though Froogle didn't find the Onkyo's, they're on sale this month at Outpost for $90 before tax and shipping. Vann's has them for $150 with no tax and no shipping. I ordered them yesterday from Outpost and got them today (apparently I live ~90 miles north of where they're drop-shipped from). Airborne Express delivered it to my door, really beat up, in the original box -- no padding. They seem to have arrived okay though.
    http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3598374
    Wow! They're even cheaper than b4! IMO this is an excellent deal for those who want to use digital out. LMK how you like them Chang.
    AXDA1700DUT3C JIUHB0311XPMW
    2108.20MHz (210.82x10) 1.7v

Originally posted by Chang
    I think a general idea of street prices might help in the decision...

The Midiland Decoder alone - the ADS 4000 - is $129 plus shipping. You can use the digital out of the Soundstorm into this, and then this into powered speakers. At some point I'm gonna try it with my Monsoons.

http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin...d3b3d4ed67f18f

Cool.. great stuff ppl.

Any reasonably priced computer speakers which have analog out for headphones?

That's my biggest complaint with the Altec Lansing and Logitech analog speakers I've had, no headphone jack. We don't always want to listen through the speakers, and it's a pain to have to always reach at the back of the computer to switch from headphones to speakers...
    Last edited by Kek; 09-08-2003 at 11:05 AM.