Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Kek
    Any reasonably priced computer speakers which have analog out for headphones?

That's my biggest complaint with the Altec Lansing and Logitech analog speakers I've had, no headphone jack. We don't always want to listen through the speakers, and it's a pain to have to always reach at the back of the computer to switch from headphones to speakers...
    there are Altec and Logi speakers that have headphone jacks.

As far as I know;

From the Altec Camp:
    AL 251, 4100 and 5100, 641

Logis
    Z-560, Z680, Z-640 (i'm unsure of the Z-540 and Z-340)

Alternatively, you can get a Y-adapter and plug it into the back of your soundcard.

Cheers.

OK, thanks. I have a switch that plugs into the analog out on my soundcard, and can switch between headphones and speakers. Only problem there is, I'll be using the Realtek-out. I was thinking digital speakers with an analog jack for the headphones, so that I can listen to the soundstorm audio which has been decoded by the speakers' decoder, instead of the analog out from the Nforce board.

Those speaker sets which you listed, do they all have digital inputs and a decoder?

Kek, in my first post in this thread, there are a few sets there. Namely the Logitech Z-680 and the Creative Inspires that will have the headphone jack..... I think the Klipsch have one too.. cheers.

Lidistick, you might want to update your commenton the DTT3500 in the first post. The Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 is still available and sold directly on their website (www.cambridgesoundworks.com). Looks like the DTT2500 was discontinued.

i've seen the Klipsch and the Logitechs mentioned alot. Does anyone think Creative's Megaworks 5.1 THX system is any good?

Lidistick? Anyone?
    NF7-s v2.0 (bios 1.8)
    Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core w/ Zalman CNPS6000-Cu
    2x256MB Corsair XMS PC2700 Dual Channel
    120 GB Desktar (Hitachi) 180GXP w/ 8MB cache
    Radeon 9600 Pro
    Enermax EG365P-FCA
    Black Raidmax 668 Aluminum Case w/ side window

chinaman. I just posted recently about the Megaworks 550 THX 5.1. Currently using them with an audigy 2. I'm pretty impressed by these speakers. but I wouldn't recommend using them with the analog out from the soundstorm... would be a waste of nice speakers.

thx...oh sorry...thanx pakman. have u heard about ppl's systems being burnt up? i heard someone say they didnt "burn them in" or something of the sort. know anything about that?

btw, very nice OC on your 2500+. Just purchased one myself to go along with my nf7-s mobo. giving me inspiration
    NF7-s v2.0 (bios 1.8)
    Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core w/ Zalman CNPS6000-Cu
    2x256MB Corsair XMS PC2700 Dual Channel
    120 GB Desktar (Hitachi) 180GXP w/ 8MB cache
    Radeon 9600 Pro
    Enermax EG365P-FCA
    Black Raidmax 668 Aluminum Case w/ side window

Originally posted by chinaman
    i've seen the Klipsch and the Logitechs mentioned alot. Does anyone think Creative's Megaworks 5.1 THX system is any good?

Lidistick? Anyone?
    I think the Megaworks 650 are excellent.
    While the abscence of THX rating on hifi equipment doesn't really mean a thing, the prescence ot the rating means a lot.

THX ratings means that the speaker can a least reproduce the music/movie as accurately as possible.

the Megaworks 550 @ $180+ are a good buy. The logitechs Z-560 are a steal.....
    gotta get a really decent soundcard with both sets of speakers tho...
    A2 & M-audio Revo are the best consumer level cards...

DMX 6fire... better ask IAGD.. he'd be the person to consult..
    Cheers.

Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha TSS1s? You can order them directly from Yamaha for a decent price ($120) and it comes with an external decoder with digital inputs and headphone jack. The only downside it seems is that they are a pretty ugly looking.
    Last edited by pooter03; 09-30-2003 at 09:41 PM.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    (NVidia) BFG 6800 GT (OC)
    1x Maxtor 7200rpm 120GB 8MB cache
    1x WD 7200rpm 80gb 8MB cache
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 Speakers
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

here's an old review from 3dsoundsurge.com on the tss1's

http://3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/TSS1/TSS1.html

Thanks for the link, read through it and was pretty informative. I was just curious if anyone else has used it, especially with an Audigy

I've never experienced 5.1 sound before, I've been using headphones for the past couple years, so I'm pretty excited. I've spent the last couple days trying to decide if I want to use my Audigy or Soundstorm (A7n8x deluxe) audio with digital connections.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

my suggestion would be if you already have an audigy, get the best analog speaker set you can afford. I think it would be a waste of money to get a speaker system w/ built in dolby digital decoder since the audigy can handle that. Plus in order to add the dolby digital decoder which adds significantly to the product's final cost, you are probably getting weaker speakers than say an analog system for the same amount of $. for instance, if you look at the creative DTT3500, it costs nearly $200 but uses the same speakers as the cheaper inspire line (well maybe a better powered subwoofer...). or if you use the logitech line for example, look at the price difference between the top of the line w/ digital decoder vs their plain analog version.

Originally posted by pakman
    my suggestion would be if you already have an audigy, get the best analog speaker set you can afford. I think it would be a waste of money to get a speaker system w/ built in dolby digital decoder since the audigy can handle that. Plus in order to add the dolby digital decoder which adds significantly to the product's final cost, you are probably getting weaker speakers than say an analog system for the same amount of $. for instance, if you look at the creative DTT3500, it costs nearly $200 but uses the same speakers as the cheaper inspire line (well maybe a better powered subwoofer...). or if you use the logitech line for example, look at the price difference between the top of the line w/ digital decoder vs their plain analog version.
    yeah. but @ $120 to spend.. the next upgrade is the Klipsch 4.1 (refurb) @ $130.
    the Logis Z-560 are a good set of speakers..

Originally posted by pakman
    Couple of comments/questions....if I have an Audigy and don't get a seperate decoder, I can only get Dolby Dig 5.1, but not DTS, right? Also, The decoder is pretty important because I'm hooking my XBox up to it too.

Next, if I use digital audio, I can get 5.1 sound on games and music with the Soundstorm, but not on the Audigy, right? The downside being Soundstorm's 3d isn't as good as the Audigy?

From the reviews, the DTTS seems to be perfect for me. It is going into a small room (my bedroom) where volume isn't as important as clarity. The reviews seem to indicate that the DTTS gives the best bang for its price range. I'm not expecting home theater quality sound, obviously, but I want a bump up from using headphones (I'm using Sennheister 570s.)

One other thing sold me. You can buy them from Yamaha for $120 plus free shipping. Thats at least $60 less than what anyone else sells them for.

I'm pretty new at audio, so my head is still spinning from all the reading I've done about the dolby and dts standards, audigy vs soundstorm, the different soundstorm dacs, etc. I just came across this forum and reccomended it to my buddy, who is pretty big into audio.
    Last edited by pooter03; 09-30-2003 at 11:47 PM.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD