Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by pooter03
    Couple of comments/questions....if I have an Audigy and don't get a seperate decoder, I can only get Dolby Dig 5.1, but not DTS, right? Also, The decoder is pretty important because I'm hooking my XBox up to it too.
    Correct. The Audigy 1 only does DD 5.1 and not DTS. However the new Audigy 2 ZS does DTS decoding.

Next, if I use digital audio, I can get 5.1 sound on games and music with the Soundstorm, but not on the Audigy, right? The downside being Soundstorm's 3d isn't as good as the Audigy?
    Correct again.

From the reviews, the DTTS seems to be perfect for me. It is going into a small room (my bedroom) where volume isn't as important as clarity. The reviews seem to indicate that the DTTS gives the best bang for its price range. I'm not expecting home theater quality sound, obviously, but I want a bump up from using headphones (I'm using Sennheister 570s.)

One other thing sold me. You can buy them from Yamaha for $120 plus free shipping. Thats at least $60 less than what anyone else sells them for.

I'm pretty new at audio, so my head is still spinning from all the reading I've done about the dolby and dts standards, audigy vs soundstorm, the different soundstorm dacs, etc. I just came across this forum and reccomended it to my buddy, who is pretty big into audio.
    The sennheisers are superb headphones.. ask liquidsoul or fxscreamer.. I'm not that into headphones... is there a linky for Dtts??

As for audio.. takes a while.. but its like Fsb and multis.. once you get the hang of it.. not a problem..

and welcome to your buddy too....
    Cheers.

The sennheisers are superb headphones.. ask liquidsoul or fxscreamer.. I'm not that into headphones... is there a linky for Dtts??

As for audio.. takes a while.. but its like Fsb and multis.. once you get the hang of it.. not a problem..

and welcome to your buddy too....
    Cheers. [/B]
    In my last post, I meant TSS1, not DTTS, sorry.

I think I won't mind the tradeoff of 3d positioning in games for DTS support in movies it is as good as my friend says.

Here are some links for the TSS1 if you want those.

Official Homepage

Yamaha's Online Store

Someone also posted a review a bit earlier from 3dsoundsurge that has a lot of detail.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    (NVidia) BFG 6800 GT (OC)
    1x Maxtor 7200rpm 120GB 8MB cache
    1x WD 7200rpm 80gb 8MB cache
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 Speakers
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

In my last post, I meant TSS1, not DTTS, sorry.

I think I won't mind the tradeoff of 3d positioning in games for DTS support in movies it is as good as my friend says.

Someone also posted a review a bit earlier from 3dsoundsurge that has a lot of detail.
    ok.. DTS support is nice to have in movies.. but are your speakers up to it? can you actually tell the difference with crappy speakers? If you can't spend more on better speakers than make DD5.1 sound better.
    If you really want DTS support .. don't waste time with PC speakers... time to go Hifi and home theatre...

3dss has very detailed reviews.. and very long ones too....

www.ecoustics.com also has a collection of reviews.. some good and some bad.. cheers.

personally I think DTS is really overated on a PC system. If this is for say a setup in a bedroom or a dorm room based on PC, I'd say stick to dolby digital... If you were watching movies on a large screen TV in a dedicated home theater room setup then you would really appreciate DTS...

Originally posted by lidistick
    ok.. DTS support is nice to have in movies.. but are your speakers up to it? can you actually tell the difference with crappy speakers? If you can't spend more on better speakers than make DD5.1 sound better.
    If you really want DTS support .. don't waste time with PC speakers... time to go Hifi and home theatre...

3dss has very detailed reviews.. and very long ones too....

www.ecoustics.com also has a collection of reviews.. some good and some bad.. cheers.
    Home theater will be my next project when I move in a year or two. I can't get anything earthshaking or my neighbors will raise hell, so I figured the Yamaha's look like a good stop-gap solution. I'd say 90% of the reviews looked positive, including the one from 3dss (but not anandtech), so I went ahead and ordered it. At the very least, I was looking for a cheap 5.1 system that'll let me hook up my PC and Xbox, and doesn't sound like complete garbage. If you are curious as to what a noob thinks about it, I'll let you know in a couple of days.

My next big decision is whether to ditch my Audigy.

Thanks for all your help! I'm off for the night.
    Last edited by pooter03; 10-01-2003 at 12:25 AM.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

well at that price, the yamaha's are a steal. prior to upgrading to the CSW megaworks 550, I actually have been using some very old yamaha desktop speakers and had resisted upgrading from the longest time as I was pretty much satisfied with their performance even against some of the 2.1 setups available. I'm also a big fan of their home theater AV receivers/amps as they've always been a leader in DSP technology. Anyways keep us posted. you're gonna love how the xbox sounds through the digital connection! not sure about xbox titles, but unfortunately there are still very few games for ps2's that utilize surround/dolby digital.

There are a few games that support DTS on the PS2. I think GTA and VC do. I'm going to have to check them out. The downside is I can't use the speakers with my PS2 regularly because my TV faces the wrong way.

I use my monitor for my Xbox though, so that should work out great. I preordered SSX 3 and that uses 5.1, so I can't wait to hear how that sounds.

The speakers should be here by Friday. I plan on renting a few movies that support DTS and/or DD 5.1. I'd like to compare and see if I can hear the difference. I already have Two Towers, and plan on getting Saving Private Ryan. Any other suggestions?
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

I have another question about cables. I stopped at a Radioshack during lunch and picked up a set of optical and coax digital cable (for my xbox and pc, respectively) The brand I got was Fusion AV, and it looks like its a clone of Monster cable (gold plated connectors, dual shielded, and other gobbeldygook I barely understand.)

Anyone have any experience with these cables, or should I return 'em and pick up Monsters?
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

The speakers should be here by Friday. I plan on renting a few movies that support DTS and/or DD 5.1. I'd like to compare and see if I can hear the difference. I already have Two Towers, and plan on getting Saving Private Ryan. Any other suggestions?
    1) matrix - lobby scene
    2) Gladiator - opening battle scene
    3) Eagles - Hell freezes over in DTS
    4) Lantana - Aussie movie.. nice soundtrack

I have another question about cables. I stopped at a Radioshack during lunch and picked up a set of optical and coax digital cable (for my xbox and pc, respectively) The brand I got was Fusion AV, and it looks like its a clone of Monster cable (gold plated connectors, dual shielded, and other gobbeldygook I barely understand.
    Anyone have any experience with these cables, or should I return 'em and pick up Monsters?
    for $120 speakers.. cables won't make a difference.... and if they did, the difference won't be great. the cables are not the weakest link here..

Cheers.

Oh well, maybe I'll get a placebeo effect from the gold tipped cables.

Out of curiosity, if I had a good home theater system, how much difference can stock cables make vs Monster cables?
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

Oh well, maybe I'll get a placebeo effect from the gold tipped cables.

Out of curiosity, if I had a good home theater system, how much difference can stock cables make vs Monster cables?
    depends.....
    1) your ears to appreciate the difference
    2) your components to tell the difference

list your components here

Cheers.

Oh well, its moot since I won't be investing in the good stuff for a couple more years. I looked at Monster's prices and am glad I didn't get 'em.

For curiosity's sake though, I'm gonna stick in a regular RCA cable and see if I hear any difference compared to the ones I bought. I have the feeling if I do, it'll be more imagined than real...
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD