Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by pooter03
    Oh well, its moot since I won't be investing in the good stuff for a couple more years. I looked at Monster's prices and am glad I didn't get 'em.

For curiosity's sake though, I'm gonna stick in a regular RCA cable and see if I hear any difference compared to the ones I bought. I have the feeling if I do, it'll be more imagined than real...
    again..maybe you will, maybe you won't.
    its just that spending $70 on cables on a $120 speaker system doesn't sound like good usage of money. I'd rather spend the extra $70 and add that to the $120 and get a nice speaker set of $190.. well , nicer anyway.

Cheers.

dont waste your money on monster cables. they're just overpriced marketing hype... if you took a some decent generic cables and did blind tests with the monstercables, I guarantee you would never hear the difference.

now if you get into $10,000 stereo systems, then u might want to consider some outrageous $1,000+ speaker cables and interconnects...

I looked at the prices for cables at monster's website and nearly had a heart attack. I couldn't justify buying a cable that cost as much as the entire friggen system. I needed optical an digital cable for my XBox and the Radio Shack cable wasn't outrageously priced.

BTW, if Yamaha is selling their speaker system for $120, and everyone else sells it for $200, is it a $120 system or $200? Actually, at these prices, I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by pooter03; 10-02-2003 at 09:09 AM.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    (NVidia) BFG 6800 GT (OC)
    1x Maxtor 7200rpm 120GB 8MB cache
    1x WD 7200rpm 80gb 8MB cache
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 Speakers
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

THE NEW PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE!!

Or my speakers are here. Volume does fill up my little bedroom and I didn't hear much or any distortion. Of course, I have no idea what to really listen for. No background hums or hisses.

I'm kinda bummed because the DVD I rented to test DTS, Gladiator is scratched to the point of being almost unlistenable, so I have to return it. 5.1 works as advertised and the XBox sounds great.

I just noticed odd behavior in that the receiver slips into Dolby Pro Logic Mode if I idle for awhile. As soon as I play a windows sound, though, it goes back to Dolby Dig. I'll have to read thru the manual to see if that is normal.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

Originally posted by pooter03
    I just noticed odd behavior in that the receiver slips into Dolby Pro Logic Mode if I idle for awhile. As soon as I play a windows sound, though, it goes back to Dolby Dig. I'll have to read thru the manual to see if that is normal.
    I wouldn't be too concern. usually a decoder will look for the digital signal, if there is none then it will go to analog mode (pro logic). although, when I was testing the digital out on my soundstorm through my ht stereo, it always remained at dolby digital mode as long as the PC was on. maybe your soundcard or mobo stops the digital transmission when there is no sound signal. but again, i wouldn't be too worried.

I haven't seen it do it again, so I'm not worried about it. In any case, I'm very satisfied with the speakers. At high volume everything sounds clear and it fills my room nicely. My only complaint is that the rear speakers seem a bit soft, but I've been able to adjust for that. It's a huge upgrade from my headphones and my XBox and movies have never sounded better.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

Two comments:

1) The Onkyo GXW-5.1 sale appears to be over. You'll find it for $150 or so elsewhere.

2) I've had some time to test out the Onkyos for a while now and I'm glad I made the purchase. I haven't tried ear-drum shattering volume levels but for normal listening ranges it's quite good. The sub isn't overpowering. DTS is nice to have but I rarely use it. The Dolby Pro Logic II on the other hand is great. Watching sports is definately a new experience. Even though I'm just using a broadcast signal, the on screen action comes from the front speakers, the announcers from the center speaker, and the crowd noise from the surrounds. If I had to buy another set, I'd probably get the Onkyo's at $150 over the Yamaha's at $120 just for the Dolby PL II.
    Any opinions stated are mine only and do not necessarily reflect those of any business / entity or any other individual. Take any advice I might offer at your own risk. No guarantees or warranties are given or implied. If your opinion matches mine, congratulations on being right. If you heed my advice and realize monetary gains, I accept cash, checks, and money orders. If you realize spiritual gains, I'll accept a good word as you pass St. Peter, Charon, or when you take a spin on the Wheel. Finally, the key to getting the right answer is asking the right question.

thanks chang. added your mini-review to the first post.
    Cheers mate.

If you're really on a budget, you might want to check out some home theater setups. Just find one with digital inputs and you're golden. For example, Wally's World has this Durabrand (Lennox) HT-400. It has a "DVD Audio Input jack" on back that will let you hook up a digital coaxial cable. It lists for a whopping $84.76. No doubt there are other inexpensive setups out there like this one.
    Any opinions stated are mine only and do not necessarily reflect those of any business / entity or any other individual. Take any advice I might offer at your own risk. No guarantees or warranties are given or implied. If your opinion matches mine, congratulations on being right. If you heed my advice and realize monetary gains, I accept cash, checks, and money orders. If you realize spiritual gains, I'll accept a good word as you pass St. Peter, Charon, or when you take a spin on the Wheel. Finally, the key to getting the right answer is asking the right question.

Regarding the Durabrand HT-400, I've read rave reviews about it. It seems to be just what the doctor ordered..small, and leaves most of the audio processing to, well, the audio processor (CPU sound card, DVD player, etc). It does Dolby Digital just fine appearently, and sounds suprisingly good. The only bad thing I have read is that the sub is not powered, but who cares? In a small room like I have, it may just be what I need. I may pick up one today and voice my opinion. Heck, it's wally world, I can always take it back.
    -Jake

Personal System in System Specs | Don't let the Blue Logo fool you, I'm still an AMDMB original..

I have sound storm and the headphones in my sig( SENNHEISER HD 580) running thru a set of Klispch promedia 5.1( which are one of the original thus broken i.e only really work as 2.1 system)..what else do i need to get the most out of playing games? will a digital decoder help me or is it only useful with speakers? can one get "5.1" sound thru headphones?
    thx!
    Abit-IP35-E
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz
    Patriot(2 x 1GB)DDR2 PC2 6400
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI Express x16
    150GB Western Digital Raptor
    Antec True Power Trio TP3-650
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium
    Samsung 27" SyncMaster P2770

Originally posted by ThyElder on 10-27-2003 at 08:52 AM
    I have sound storm and the headphones in my sig( SENNHEISER HD 580) running thru a set of Klispch promedia 5.1( which are one of the original thus broken i.e only really work as 2.1 system)..what else do i need to get the most out of playing games? will a digital decoder help me or is it only useful with speakers? can one get "5.1" sound thru headphones?
    thx!
    most gamers use headphones instead of surround speakers. positioning is much much better using headphones.
    the new Zalman 5.1 headphones are gimmicky. the sennheisers 580 would kill them.

MOre speakers do not equal better sound. you only have 2 ears anyway.

If your klipschs are fubared and you have no intention of RMAing them, get a new soundcard (audigy 2) and use a y-adapter so you can use the Klipch and headphones at the same time. buying a digital decoder for Fubared speakers is a waste of time IMHO.

Cheers

Wait..what's the Y-adapter for? The Klipsch have headphone ports...

BTW, we reviewed the Zalman 5.1s, and they truly do rock...
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

so i digital decoder is worthless for headphones and sound storm?...My klispchs are a couple years old ...beyond their warranty..I was one of the first test gunnie pigs..
    Abit-IP35-E
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz
    Patriot(2 x 1GB)DDR2 PC2 6400
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI Express x16
    150GB Western Digital Raptor
    Antec True Power Trio TP3-650
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium
    Samsung 27" SyncMaster P2770