Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Originally posted by ThyElder on 10-27-2003 at 09:08 AM
    so i digital decoder is worthless for headphones and sound storm?...My klispchs are a couple years old ...beyond their warranty..I was one of the first test gunnie pigs..
    JM: y-adaptor: IMHO, the line outfrom the audigy is cleaner than any speaker headphone port. 5.1 headphones... hmm no sub rules out the.1(i'm being anal) and it really is 6 speakers around your ear.... IMHO a good set of headphones like the 580's would destroy the Zalmans..(i'm a snob!)

ThyElder: a digital decoder is sorta useless for 2 channel audio cos you don't have speakers to take advantage of 5.1

what would the Total AirHead amp do for my gaming experience? and would this thing plug into my sound storm and then to my head phones?
    P.s would the Yamaha RP-U200
    provide as a good amp for headphones?
    Last edited by ThyElder; 10-26-2003 at 04:21 PM.
    Abit-IP35-E
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz
    Patriot(2 x 1GB)DDR2 PC2 6400
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI Express x16
    150GB Western Digital Raptor
    Antec True Power Trio TP3-650
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium
    Samsung 27" SyncMaster P2770

Originally posted by lidistick on 10-26-2003 at 04:13 PM
    JM: y-adaptor: IMHO, the line outfrom the audigy is cleaner than any speaker headphone port. 5.1 headphones... hmm no sub rules out the.1(i'm being anal) and it really is 6 speakers around your ear.... IMHO a good set of headphones like the 580's would destroy the Zalmans..(i'm a snob!)
    A Y-adapter degrades quality to begin with though, so you're right back where you started.

A set of headphones like the 580s might destroy the Zalmans (maybe not in gaming ) but they cost 4x as much!!! I would hope so.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....hreadid=264185
    Soundstorms analog really is bad... I'd rather you get an Audigy 2 instead of an AMP. but that's me.

I'm not sure about the yamaha.

Originally posted by lidistick on 10-26-2003 at 04:35 PM
    http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....hreadid=264185
    Soundstorms analog really is bad... I'd rather you get an Audigy 2 instead of an AMP. but that's me.

I'm not sure about the yamaha.
    Dam! ive never heard that before...I have to say my sound is pretty darn good! better then my klispsh speakers ever were...but if an audigy 2 would make it even better ..id have to consider that...thax for your help lidistick.
    Abit-IP35-E
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz
    Patriot(2 x 1GB)DDR2 PC2 6400
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI Express x16
    150GB Western Digital Raptor
    Antec True Power Trio TP3-650
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium
    Samsung 27" SyncMaster P2770

no worries.. once you try a dedicated soundcard... never going to turn back. the SS is good with digital speakers only. pity.

Cheers

If you wanna do digital speakers, check out the Yamahas I talked about earlier in the thread.

http://www.yamahashoponline.com/product.asp?sku=1708775

$120 with free shipping. Has a decoder for Dolby Dig and DTS. It fills up my small room perfectly and I also have it working with my XBox (my next project is to hook up my PS2 to it for DTS support.)

Soundstorm is pretty good with digital audio.
    Athlon 3000+ Barton
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    2x 512MB DDR400
    (NVidia) BFG 6800 GT (OC)
    1x Maxtor 7200rpm 120GB 8MB cache
    1x WD 7200rpm 80gb 8MB cache
    1x Pioneer DVD 10x
    1x 24x10x40x CDRW
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 Speakers
    Dell 2405FPW 24 inch LCD

I did try out a couple of low-end "value" HTiB solutions. Here is my "review" of the Durabrand/Lennoxx HT-400 and the Audiovox SC-3000HT.

Set-up for both systems was as follows: Small bedroom, 19" CRT with center speaker sitting on top of monitor, front left/right speakers on either side of monitor, and rear speakers mounted on stands roughly 5.5' high and no more than 8' behind the listener.

Durabrand HT-400: $84.97 at Wal-Mart
    Pros: fair sound quality for price. included remote. color coded wires make set-up easy.

Cons: advertised 300w system, but can't outdo a 200w system in the same price range (also reviewed here). not much speaker wire - couldn't stretch the rear speakers across a small bedroom. Subwoofer is not powered, don't expect much out of it, barely audible at full bass. No LCD on front of decoder/amp unit, just individual LED's showing volume, source mode etc. DVD's sounded okay, the Audiovox was better, I believe this is due to the center speaker included being so shabby.

Audiovox SC-3000HT: $88.99 at AAFES (military exchange)
    Pros: 2 coaxial inputs, and 3 RCA A/V stereo inputs. remote. easy set-up via color coded wiring and amp. Bright, legible LCD display. Plenty of speaker wire for all speakers, a little too much, in fact.

Cons: decoder/amp unit is HUGE - large footprint. Perhaps making it taller rather than so deep would have been ideal. Again a non-powered subwoofer that is useful for little more than a paperweight. Sound quality is a bit better than the Durabrand but that is with lots of EQ tweaking via the nForce Control Panel. DVD's sounded good through PowerDVD using SP/DIF, but again there was little bass and dialogue volume was rather low. This system caused visible noise on my monitor, so I had to move the speakers away.

In short, these are not viable solutions for SoundStorm in my opinion, nor are they designed for such task. Not willing to chuck out my decent set of Cambridge SoundWorks speakers and shell out $300 for a Logitech digital equivalent, I put in an order for an Audigy 2 ZS today. I don't think I'll regret it.
    Last edited by prisen; 10-27-2003 at 02:05 PM.
    -Jake

Personal System in System Specs | Don't let the Blue Logo fool you, I'm still an AMDMB original..

Just curious... do these amps with decoders happen to have outputs that would feed those Zalman 5.1 headphones, i.e. 3 plugs?

I really didn't want to do this, but I'm giving thought to just buying an Audigy2 soundcard and forgetting SoundStorm altogether. Sound is buggy at times, not sure if it's the drivers or the Realtek DAC. If this newest driver set from nVidia won't fix my buggy sound, this could be the final straw. Shame really, it's my opinion that if the mobo manufacturers had had the type of commitment to quality that their reputation suggests, and had coupled the nVidia APU with a decent DAC, then the SoundStorm would likely provide better audio than the Audigy series of cards.

yo Kek, it would cost a lot more to get good DAC's onboard mobos. and that's why a lot of Mobo manufacturers wouldn't go down that path. Who buys a mobo for great onboard sound?

Back to your question, yes, all the decoders there will output discrete 6 channel sound.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks. The information about the decoders could be quite helfpul.

Who buys a mobo for great onboard sound? I did!
    I figured that my audigy might be dying, so I thought that rather than buy a new soundcard, I'd get a better board, one with SoundStorm. I had read about how great it was and thought it would be a good solution. Perhaps I should have researched it more.

Cost a lot more? I heard about $10 for a better chip on a board, I'd pay that anyday. Certainly if Audigy2 costs only $99CDN then its DAC wouldn't account for more than 1/10 of the cost, would it?

its not just the DAC but also the tracing and keeping the interference levels down. that's hard on a motherboard. Less so with a dedicated soundcard.

$10 might not be a heck of a lot of difference to you but to many others considering a new mobo, it may just be the turning point.. ie; paying more for a DAC is not an option for them.

I don't know how much a Burr Brown or Wolfsson DAC costs but I don't think its $10
    Cheers

Originally posted by lidistick on 11-07-2003 at 01:01 PM
    I don't know how much a Burr Brown or Wolfsson DAC costs but I don't think its $10
    Cheers
    Which of these does the Audigy2 use?

Cheers to yourself, but alas I have nothing to drink.

I had an idea, which would be nice, if this were a perfect world. A small amp with a decoder, could maybe fit in a PCI slot or 5.25" drive bay, and would connect to the standard molex power cable on a PC's PSU. Small cable going to the SPDIF on the SoundStorm, and outputs on the 5.25" bay and on a PCI slot on the back of the PC. It would take the output from the SPDIF and decode it, would work like a headphone amp too if necessary. Of course I'm sure that a solution like that would be more trouble than it's worth, but a nice thought. Call it the "SoundStorm Booster"?

BTW has anyone else heard of these problems with running an Audigy series card with nForce2 boards? Was thinking to just go for an Audigy2, since I use headphones mostly, rather than shelling out for digital speakers, but the thought of even more hardware conflicts is pretty scary... had enough of the "squeal of death" with my old Audigy 1 card.

Kek- I'm using an audigy 2 on a epox 8rda+ without any problems.