Angry

I purchased an A7V and a 1GHZ AMD Thunderbird. I couldn't get this to load the operating system and it would freeze when it was copying files (10% complete). I put in a 650 Duron and it worked.

I took back the CPU and received a new one yesterday. I also had the bright idea of buying those Socket A copper spacers. I installed the copper spacer incorrectly, i.e the holes were not aligned correctly and there was a connection between the raised parts of the CPU. It did not boot but I heard alternating long beeps, the manual says this means it could not detect RAM. So I tried it again. No beeps at all. I removed the fan and realized the spacer was installed incorrectly. I tried again, it worked, I went into BIOS and it froze. Since then its been dead. No beeps or anything on the monitor. I put in the 650 Duron and it worked. My CPU is dead, right?? I shorted it by creating a connection between the raised parts of the chip. I just need confirmation from the experts before I place an order for another one.

Cool

Remove the copper spacer completely and try again. With luck, you'll be allright.

Without luck, you'll join a long list of people who have done the same thing and FRIED their CPU.

I did remove the spacer and it posted. I went into BIOS and it froze. I rebooted and it never showed life again. I believe I just joined the club. You live and learn.

Arrow

I had the EXACT same problem you did!!!!!!!!!

if you will notice my post called "HEEEELPP!!" in the forum

I too got a copper spacer and coupled it with my new super orb HSF, all on top of my tbird 1ghz. I fired up the computer, and *beeeeep* *booooop* *beeeeep*. i looked in my manual and it said that the beeps indicated no DRAM detected, and then i took off the copper spacer and put my old HSF back on and my computer didnt light up, nor did it do the beeping sound.

i have come to the same conclusion u had, i think the copper shorted out the components on the surface of the CPU. my dad (very knowledgable about computers) came to the same conclusion too.

soo i think this is your verification. I am surprised i am not the only one who had this exact same problem. my copper spacer didnt even come with instructions!!!! i think i will sue the folks at 3DCOOL.COM j/k

i feel for ya!

Sounds like the copper spacer could have damaged some of the resistors on the top of your Tbird. Or, perhaps the HSF was not making good contact with the surface of the cpu die, and it cooked your chip. These Tbirds run so hot that will fry within seconds if they don't have appropriate cooling.

Sorry for your loss.

I would have to say TOAST!!! If those copper shimms connected those bridges on top of the cpu it probably messed it up good. Make a good keychain.

If at all possible find a comp. shop that will test it for you before buying a new one. Miracles sometimes happen.

Exclamation

http://www.millisec.com has a good article on installing a copper shim. I sprayed clear coat on the bottom side & installed witha light thin coat of grease not AS. The copper will short the brigdes. Be careful with the shim.

Pat
    Asus A7V133 133GHz 266 T-Bird 10.0x133 KingMax PC-150 Ram SwifTech 462-A CPU Cooler Enermax 430w P/S Hercules GTS Pro SB MP3 5.1+ Plextor Burner Pioneer DVD BA 7500 Sound

Grandpa's Need For Speed