Question Who all is running a SATA raid? couple of Q's

I just picked up two 120gb Maxtor SATA drives from newegg. How are these things working out for everyone? (sata raid that is) I am going from a slow 5400rpm 2mb 80GB maxtor so I know I have to get more than a little boost w/ the combo. Im just wondering if they seam to be as stable/reliable as the IDE brothers? I am doing alot of video editing and the HDD is killing me I can watch system ram fill up waiting to be written to the HDD.

Pete

Well I just put together my first RAID setup and everything went real smooth, set my array for 16K and used partition magic to put cluster size to 16K as well, looks like you may want to use 64K for your larger video files, maybe 128K.........I will say that after two weeks of use the thrill has died and it seems just like any old one disk IDE setup. In retrospect I don't think the improvement was worth $240, but I still know I got a great setup. Hope you like yours as well!

Thanks for the Info I hope all goes well when I get them Monday. Yeah $240 is a hefty price but I hope it does me good enough on what Im doing It takes to long to encode/decode movies/dvd's anyway thanks!

Pete

I think for your application (video editing), you have made a good choice.

Hope it works well for ya.
    AMD RIGS:
    Main Rig: Antec P160\A7N8X-Dlx\1007 Uber\Thermalright SP-97-Ceramique\XP-M 2500@12X210\NB Vantec Iceberg\2X Corsair XMS 256 PC3200LL\WD Raptor X2 (RAID 0)\WD 800JB\ATI 9800 Pro\NEC 2500A\Vantec 520W PS

Shuttle Rig: SN45G\Stock Ice-Ceramique\XP 2500@10.5X202\Mushkin Black Lvl I PC3200\ATI AIW 9600 Pro\WD 1200JB\Lite-On LTC48161H

Current evaluation testing: Plextor PX-712SA (SATA Optical Drive).

My Pets...... 3112 Driver Comparison....NCQ Desktop Performance

For me it has been faster than my previous RAID setup using 2 IBM 60gxp's. I can DEFINITELY see it in between game levels. Levels load noticeably faster. I also was testing it over the weekend doing audio encoding and editing and these things load and save the edited songs very fast. I haven't benched it yet but I dont care as long as the things I do are fast.

BTW I have 2 80gig Maxtor SATA drives.