Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did I make a mistake? (TigerDirect)

So I've been putting off getting a new monitor for like 2 years now. The one I have is really blurry and it started going black at random recently (it's 9 years old). Once you start having to wack a monitor to get the picture to come back, it's all downhill from there.

Well, I wanted to get an LCD but I can't afford it right now so I figured I'd shop for a refurb as I'm only expecting to need it for about a year (2 at the most).

So I head over to pricegrabber and start looking and I came accross an NEC FP995 for $70 after a $20 rebate + shipping at TigerDirect.com. The total comes to $117 and change. Not bad - this seems to be a pretty nice monitor.

Now, I made a purchase from TigerDirect way back in the day (the monitor I'm using now was purchased from them, along with most of the parts from my first home-build system) and it went off without a hitch.

Now here's where I started getting pissed.

I ordered (on Wednesday, 8/3) using CheckFree. TigerDirect's site clearly states that it would take 2 to 3 business days for this to clear. The money was taken from my account on Thursday (8/4), was posted at CheckFree's site, and said that TigerDirect recieved payment. So I was really happy it went through the next day.

So I went to the order status page at TG and it says the order is on hold until I call them. So I called and they said that it just says that because it was paid by check - it'll take 3 days. Ok, but the payment went through already, I'll call back tomorrow (Friday) and ask somebody else - same answer. Now at this point, I remembered my cousin buying a motherboard from them and it taking 6 MONTHS to get the I/O brackets for PS/2 and USB ports from them.

Sunday (8/7) comes a long and I get an email saying I have to call or they're going to cancel the order. WTF? So I call and they say "We just wanted to tell you that it'll be shipped in 5 to 7 business days". So again, I was all WTF? So I tell her the payment went through Thursday and ask if it's 5 to 7 days from Thursday or from today? She says Monday (8/8) is the first day.

Well that just really got my goat so I decide to go complain about (yeah, I have no patience at all) so I head over to the Better Business Bureau and look up TigerDirect (no, I didn't complain, I'm waiting until the order is a complete disaster - hopefully not) because their site clearly states 2-3 business days for the payment to go through, 24-48 hours for the item to be shipped.

So I come accross this:

Specifically our files show a pattern of complaints alleging dissatisfaction with product quality, failure to deliver promised goods, service issues, misrepresentation in advertising and marketing practices and the failure to address and overcome the basic cause of complaints brought to their attention by the Better Business Bureau.

Complaints allege customers are led to believe they are buying new, Brand Name computer systems, parts and other products with either a 90-day, or 1 year warranty. Complainants allege they are receiving generic, defective and refurbished items and only a 30-day warranty with the option to purchase the 1-year warranty. Customers who purchase the warranty also experience difficulty in getting return phone calls to get the problems fixed or replaced. Customer are told they may return the items for replacement, but they will need to pay again for the replacement and will credited back when the item is returned and received by the company.

Some of the complaints have issues with the advertised rebate, both the catalog and web site have numerous offers for items with a mail-in rebate. Upon receiving the products the rebate application is not included in the package. Customers are told the rebate application is on the website and customers are required to comply with the program and submit paperwork that they never received. Many are denied because the product they have purchased does not have the advertised rebate, the rebate has expired, and some rebates are only good if the item is purchased with a computer. Many customers feel they have been victims of bait and switch, and are unable to return the products because the package has been open. Customers who have contacted customer service with concerns have problem with getting return calls, emails, and experience unresponsiveness and unconcerned customer service staff. However, the company has responded to most complaints presented by the Bureau.
    Well, I'm the damn fool for not looking for this in the first place, I realize. But geez... I should've at least checked their recent rating at resellerratings.com.

Anyway, I know this was long winded - I guess I'm venting.

Has anybody had good luck (recently) with TigerDirect? I'm wondering if I'm gonna get screwed on this (I'm now assuming I'm never going to see the rebate at least).

Prime
    Last edited by Prime2515102; 08-11-2005 at 01:13 PM.
    Heat eBay

Disclaimer: If I post a link it doesn't necessarily mean I endorse or am even familiar with the site. It might just be that I did your work for you and found it on Google. Click at your own risk. Thank you.

Re: Did I make a mistake? (TigerDirect)

FWIW, I have ordered parts from tigerdirect.CA, the Canadian store, and have had good dealings with them.

same here.they got the best return policy ive seen.altough i made teh mistake to buy stuff that said "will be shipped in 5-7 days" and waited fore it
    dan

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Ive made orders from them without any problems myself.

As for complaining to the BBB, eh, most companies dont care really. The BBB isnt any kind of government body with any enforcing power. Plus they dont research anything you tell them, just just make big piles of complaints people make, and keep them for other people to read.

Which is in and of itself misleading because they dont file compliments on companies, only complaints. Not to meantion people dont normally tell other people when a company does them right, only when a company does them wrong.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

IMO, they're a shell company for shell companies.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Stormy
    Ive made orders from them without any problems myself.

As for complaining to the BBB, eh, most companies dont care really. The BBB isnt any kind of government body with any enforcing power. Plus they dont research anything you tell them, just just make big piles of complaints people make, and keep them for other people to read.

Which is in and of itself misleading because they dont file compliments on companies, only complaints. Not to meantion people dont normally tell other people when a company does them right, only when a company does them wrong.
    Take into account how many people don't know how to lodge internet complaints against a company.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

I've order from TD in the past without issue. This was before I knew about newegg though. But many of my friends have had issues.

So I guess "Once you know you Newegg."
    Well I won't back down, no I won't back down You can stand me up at the gates of hell But I won't back down Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down.Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

Try going to a local computer show & sale. Sometimes they sell used LCDs for cheap. I got a 21" LCD (not flatpanel) for 200$. It has served me well for over a year.

I have dealt with tiger direct twice over the last 3 years and didn't have a problem. 4 of my friends however... had terrible experiences.

As a previous poster state:
    "Once you know, you Newegg" about sums it up. Talk about customer service. Those guys are great.

Well it seems like it's hit or miss with them... I hope it works out (I'm not worried about the rebate really, but I'm sure gonna bitch if I don't get it lol). I just hope I don't have to send the monitor back (if it ever gets here).

Thanks for the replies

Prime
    Last edited by Prime2515102; 08-11-2005 at 03:54 PM.
    Heat eBay

Disclaimer: If I post a link it doesn't necessarily mean I endorse or am even familiar with the site. It might just be that I did your work for you and found it on Google. Click at your own risk. Thank you.

Yeah, I think you did. The first one was not just ordering from Newegg. The second was using Pricewatch without using resellerratings.com. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Next time post before you order and our advice will help you avoid problems.

i deal with tigerdirect.ca for just about any purchase, they have been right on with delivery dates for me. My only complaint with tiger is they tend to be skimpy with protective packaging on their items.

-- on a side note* newegg can kiss my canadian a$$ for not wanting to ship up here!!

Quote Originally Posted by MousePotato
    -- on a side note* newegg can kiss my canadian a$$ for not wanting to ship up here!!
    lol On the upside, I read Newegg is going public and they're going to China and a couple other places so they might start doing business in Canada too.

Prime
    Heat eBay

I hope they don't. It's too much fun making fun of Canadians for having to pay so much for hardware

Ya big meanie! lol

I have to stick up for the Canadians 'cause I'm from Michigan so that makes me practically Canadian lol

Prime
    Heat eBay