Maxtor boot problems

Turned on machine after leaving it off for three days and now nVidia boot utility reports media boot failure after DMI pool verification. I have this disk(6PY120P0) on autodetect and I damn well know that my cables are plugged in correctly and jumper settings are correct- I was playing 16hrs of Morrowind the last time for chr*** sake before I had powered it off! This machine was working perfectly for last month since I had it. After numerous CMOS resets- still the same results this time with only the Maxtor mounted to the board.

The weird thing was that my WD( secondary master) was not recognized but the Quantum(secondary slave) was acknowledged during the first power up. I don't know if that could mean anything but I thought that was peculiar since PowerQuest can't see this drive either thereafter. All drives are recognized by BIOS but with a intermitten hang after detecting the disks.

This is what I suspect. PC Probe reported 12.67~12.8v for the 12v rail which probably had put it through slow death. Is that too much from the power supply? The PSU is a 450 watt Premier Pro. Before I hassle around for RMA's for this drive, MB and/or PSU, any constructive opinions is greatly appreciated.
    XP2500+ @2800+
    A7n8X-X
    OCZPC3200 EL 1024MB( 2*256)+512
    Maxtor 6PY120P0 8 mb120G
    WD 4mb 10G
    Quantum 4mb 20G
    Samsung DVD/CDR combo
    Cheiftec Dragon steel tower
    ASUS 9520TD FX5200
    Audigy2

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Greetings, and welcome to the amdmb.com community.

Your +12 volt supply is high, ATX standard is 12.6 max, but I don't think it ate the drive. Its probably a bad Maxtor and the best way to find out is to run Maxtor's diagnostics on it. If the diags can't see the drive with all other drives disconnected then the drive is bad. If it does then run the diags, the full battery of tests, and note any/all errors and the codes, and let us know how it goes.

A final note, if the WD is jumpered wrong it can cause this even though its on the secondary channel. Also, certain drive failures on the WD can cause it. I'd recommend running the manufacturer's diag on each hard drive, its a good time to do it for peace of mind.

Unfortunately, the available diagnostic utility, Power Max 4.06 for the Maxtor will not recognize my drive since it is attached to a nVidia chipset, Maxtor advices. Can't try it right now, I am at work, away from my machine.
    This system was finished when everything was tested functional and rock stable. How could the WD functioned with the wrong jumper settings? Is this possible that it can work with the wrong settings for a period of time?
    Also, do you think the extra .04v is harmful to my hardware? Thank you the fast response.
    XP2500+ @2800+
    A7n8X-X
    OCZPC3200 EL 1024MB( 2*256)+512
    Maxtor 6PY120P0 8 mb120G
    WD 4mb 10G
    Quantum 4mb 20G
    Samsung DVD/CDR combo
    Cheiftec Dragon steel tower
    ASUS 9520TD FX5200
    Audigy2

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Originally posted by ProsticnikJeltz
    Unfortunately, the available diagnostic utility, Power Max 4.06 for the Maxtor will not recognize my drive since it is attached to a nVidia chipset, Maxtor advices. Can't try it right now, I am at work, away from my machine.
    This system was finished when everything was tested functional and rock stable. How could the WD functioned with the wrong jumper settings? Is this possible that it can work with the wrong settings for a period of time?
    Also, do you think the extra .04v is harmful to my hardware? Thank you the fast response.
    I keep forgetting that Maxtor's diags won't run on a nVidia board. I have no idea how to get around that right now but will look into it.

A WD that is jumpered incorrectly generally causes the IDE detection phase of POST to hang until the detection phase times out. The following post will explain it.

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....06#post2084806