2 x 256 vs. 1 x 512

whoa...been a while since i benn here...

anyhoo...
    what do you think performs better? 2 sticks of 256mb memory or 1 stick of 512mb memory? i am about to put a notebook together and was wondering if there were any noticable advantages either way. thanks
    ...maeham
    ---------------------

you ask..."what's the purpose of life?"...
    "to screw, make babies, and if you can...get a boat" - (C) Mark Mendoza...my idiot friend

A guy once asked me how I can go the whole party without going to the bathroom, to which I responded:

"Depends".

Onboard video? Maybe that is what you are wondering about...if since it is onboard video, then will two seperate modules improve performance....

Officially, I don't know. Not in this case. I have heard of that with desktop motherboards. So now, I believe I will move this to the laptop forum topic so that when the answer comes, it will be located as a resource in the applicable forum.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

In a laptop performance is really no better one way or the other. Bus technology in laptops is still not up to snuff and their is efficiency problems with the memory bus anywho.

The real advatage one stick brings you is in case you ever want to upgrade to a GB. Instead of having to purchase 2x512mb you can just purchase 1

that i s a good point. i was considering that from the begining as well. i went ahead with one stick of 512 in case i ever want to upgrade in the future.

thanks
    ...maeham
    ---------------------

you ask..."what's the purpose of life?"...
    "to screw, make babies, and if you can...get a boat" - (C) Mark Mendoza...my idiot friend