Angry

Hello,

My IDE Zip drive (slave on secondary IDE) is recognized by BIOS and WIN98 or ME in control panel, but showed as a floppy disk drive in Explorer!!!!
    Of course I cannot use it, Win freezes when I try to use this floppy....
    If I put none as secondary slave in BIOS, I can change the drive letter thanks to iomegaware, but it still appears as a floppy until I put a disk in the drive. When I try to read/write, the computer freezes....

Any help ?
    MB: A7V133, rev 1.04
    Bios 1003
    IDE zip drive slave on secondary connector
    Leadtek GE Force 2GTS
    Soundcard: Hercules game Theater

Thanks in advance
    Chris

Possible Answer??

I had a similar problem when first installing windows, but I downloaded the latest iomegaware from iomega and forced the drive to use those and since then it's worked fine. Hope this helps.
    The downloaded progrram that I am using may be found at http://www.iomega.com/software/featu...egawarepc.html

Sorry forgot to mention I am using version w32-x86-28 which is version 2.8 of the software I believe

[Edited by JayLex on 02-26-2001 at 12:52 PM]
    JayLex

Cool zip vs. ls120

hiy,

slightly different: i have a ls120 superdrive from compaq attached to an ide-port and it is shown as a floppy drive and it works perfect. i guess there is nothing to do, isn't it? or should i change something? i am just wondering because the thing that should really bugging you are the freezes, but the icon in explorer should look like what?

thx, noZ'

Thumbs up

Make sure you have it jumpered as slave, then set it to hard disk in the bios, pio mode 3, disable the udma mode. This worked for me, I also installed via's ide driver separately.

I had a hellava time getting my atpi zip to work properly on my a7v133. It would read fine but take forever to write to a zip. The only way I could get it to work was putting it on the secondary (as master) ATA100. Works like a champ now. Good luck with yours.
    AthlonXP 2100+ @ 2.3gHz
    SLK900a w/ 90mm Tornado
    8RDA+
    512mb HyperX PC3500
    Albatron Ti4200 @ 300/650
    Audigy2
    Viewsonic G90
    2 80gb WD 7200

chris5,

In regards to the system seeing your zip100 as a floppy check the BIOS setting for the zip. Look at where it is connected pri-slave,master or sec slave, master and tell the BIOS that it is a zip100. You will get at option on the bottom of the screen which reads something like "Set drive type". It usually defaults to AUTO. Set drive type to Hard disk and this will cure your problem. The fault lies in ASUS's version of the Award BIOS.

Molasses,
    Please download the VIA IDE BUSMASTER version 3.11 beta from http://www.viahardware.com/download/580_3011.exe
    this should cure the slow write problems with the zip drive. Make sure you use the VXD driver not the VSD!!The actual problem lies with the VIA 686B southbridge chip, which is being used in a lot of the newer boards. Hope these tips help you both out.

[Edited by AMD4ME on 02-27-2001 at 12:28 PM]

Sorry, but nothing works....
    It seems to be a problem with the ATA-100 chip from VIA, I'll try to connect it to the Promise controller....
    I'd like to know if someone could connect a ZIP 100 IDE on a motherboard with the new ATA-100 from VIA without any problem......Apparently there is no problem with the ZIP 250 drive.

Chris5

Hi i also have the same problem as Molasses, AMD4ME i have tried as you said but, when i install the IDE drivers, it just reverts back to microsoft drivers after a reboot, how can i get them to stay they go ok when i actually install them it says Manufacturer VIA and displays the correct version, but after the reboot it says microsoft and the microsoft version number. Please Help

Thanks

Tom

Wink

I have had problems with my Internal Zip Drive too. I had to install two floppy drives. This forces Windows 98SE to assign it a higher drive letter than B. On the first installation Windows wants to assign it the first letter above my hard drive like E, so I convert it under Device Manager & assign it a letter past my DVD & CDRW. It is now G. Also had to add a statement in the Config file to state last drive is higher than the letter E to make Windows use it the way I assigned it. Win98 stops at E unless you do the config file mod.

If you are able to use the Dos Prompt, the first CDRW, CDR, or DVD lists as the first drive read under DOS. Have my CDRW as the master & the DVD as the slave on the same IDE cable. Windows assigns the DVD as the first letter as E & the CDRW as F, but in DOS it reads the CDRW as E & the DVD as F. I change both in the Device Manager to match the DOS letter assignment.

Pat
    Asus A7V133 133GHz 266 T-Bird 10.0x133 KingMax PC-150 Ram SwifTech 462-A CPU Cooler Enermax 430w P/S Hercules GTS Pro SB MP3 5.1+ Plextor Burner Pioneer DVD BA 7500 Sound

Grandpa's Need For Speed

Now it works.....

As I told you, I put the cable with my DVD drive(master) and my ZIP drive(slave) on the Promise primary connector and.......everything works fine!!!!!!
    It's definitely a problem from the VIA chipset/driver....

Chris5