Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    There is one serious problem with doing raid with W2K/XP software: Imaging programs don't work with dynamic disks, only basic disks. Since imaging programs offer a measure of security in case of a disk failure, its better to use the raid controller which will allow you usage of these programs.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD
    500W Fortron Blue Storm PSU

manman4,
    Ok I understand what you are trying to tell. But I believe that doing striping in bios level should be better than doing it in the OS. Otherwise all the major PCI RAID cards will be garbage.

Your suggestion may work because I started to believe that there is some conflict with promise card and nforce2 board.

But changing stripe/cluster size as suggested by perdomot and themortatman seems to be the first to try.
    If it does not bring any improvement then I will try OS raid.

playdead,

I agree PCI RAID (IDE) onboard the MB or on a sep card, most are software, they still need the CPU to do the work. True dedicated hardware RAID controllers offload the work to a dedicated I/O Processor.

It will make no diff for you if it is a cheap RAID, the driver for the RAID is still done by the CPU !

yeah, someone else talked about imaging, oh well , yeah in ghost, its hard to back up dynamic disks, but i guess, you have your C: as basic, that is all that counts.

oh well good luck.

Cheers

playdead,

one more thing, if RAID chip is onboard, it may be better than on PCI if it bypasses the PCI and goes straight to chipset like nforce2, via V-Link transport hub, Intel ICH Hub, nowdays more and more peripherals are bypassing the PCI bus, i think SATA raid chips are doing that !

but still SCSI rules, if you can get a decent PCI-X MB on an athlon64 that is not dual processor, oh well 2004 !

Cheers,

Yes onboard raid is better. My older setup was ABIT KR7A-RAID with hpt372 onboard raid. Its disk performance was much better compared to this setup. I purchased a 7NNXP with onboard raid but it didn't like my kingston hyperX sticks. So I continue with A7N8X Dlx and PCI RAID.

I think CPU can easily handle the extra work which arise only during reads and writes.
    I will be more than happy if I can increase write performance to 70MB/s level to match read performance.

I changed stripe and cluster sizes. Experiment with different settings like 32/32 32/16 16/16 but nothing changed read score goes to maximum 84MB/s but write score is maximum 22 Mb/s as before.

Also it is not possible to use OS striping because the raid controller does not have option for standalone disks.

When you did your testing. Did you tested with just Windows and just the software need to get up and running? One more thing if you would, humor me? Try testing with out all of your pci cards just the raid card and thats it!!

I installed win2kpro to a 3rd drive. Raid0 partition was empty. Only ATTo installed. Everytime I changed stripe or cluster sizes without touching OS installation. But no way.
    I also tried to change the PCI slot of raid card (but other cards remained) and cables with new ones.
    I have no luck
    My final verdict is that:
    promise card and nforce2 -->problem

playdead,

I heard you mentioning you cannot choose standalone disks, I have an idea, might be troublesome though.

You have Nforce2 and promise ATA I/O Card, the C drive which houses your OS, and the 2 hdd you want to run RAID 0.

C is on Nforce2 IDE, the 2 raid are on promise.

swap them around, put the 2 ide hdd for RAID 0 on nforce PRI Master and SEC MAster, hang the C onto the promise RAID, if you have a CDROM, oops, disable when benching, for OS install hook it up to sec slave and move one hdd to pri slave (temporary).

I heard people on www.aoaforums.com say nforce 2 ide driver sometimes causes problems, so far my AMD Based pc uses a VIA chipset with the embedded highpoint (belive they are better than promise) chipset, HPT372, but i am running SCSi which is faster.

try it out and reverse the drive setup and see if can set up strip in OS Software, then giveup !

Cheers, !

manman4,
    Actually my raid array is a Big C drive with OS and programs on it.
    This is better I think because OS and programs run evertime. I'm not making AV editing so my data is stationary like image files, documents.
    My stand alone disk has 3 primary partitions:
    E: 4 GB for ghost images of OS
    F: 33 GB for DATA
    G: 1 GB for swap disk (page file)
    In future I will partion C drive also. Maybe for linux or other OS experimenting.

What You suggest is possible (altough I couldn't understand where to mount CD permanently?) Raid array (C drive) into Primary and secondary master. 3rd disk to raid card. This may work!

But I will continue with my config for a while.
    May be Nvidia writes a good driver to solve all problems

Thank you for your effort