Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Of course I had. The 76GB C drive is combination of two 40GB MAXTOR disks in striped array of raid controller card.

If it weren't so why use raid controller? use a cheaper PCI IDE adapter

Originally posted by themortarman
    I could be wrong but I don't think you can stripe a drive that the OS is already on.
    I believe you're right. A stripe involves the full span of both drives, ie the stripe is the same regardless of partitioning.

Forgive me. I've been reading so many threads I got your rig confused with somebody else's. Are you still on a 64/4 k setting and still using the fourth pci slot? Check the IRQ to make sure there is not conflict and that the raid card is the only one using the IRQ. You'll get the best result using a 32/32 stripe cluster setting. Trust me, I reinstalled 6 times on Fri-Sat and this was the best. Be sure to use FAT32, not NTFS. These are the settings that gave me writes in the low 50s and reads in the high 80's.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD
    500W Fortron Blue Storm PSU

One more thing: DO NOT USE THE ASUS IDE DRIVERS. If they are anything like the ones I got from nvidia they stink. When it asks if you want to install the SW IDE driver, choose NO.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

That's ok perdomot
    I'm still on 64/4k setting, fourth slot (this may be the problem) but no conflict and only raid card uses IRQ17
    How was your scores with other stripe/cluster combination?
    I mean have you gained 20-30 MB/s read/write performance difference over the other combinations?

Also does it make any difference to use "cable select" instead of "master" on each channel?

There is 2 rules when setting up cluster/stripe combination. One is to match them up . The other is the set the Cluster to half the size of the stripe.

I've heard of problems with cable select so I use master on each hdd. Can't remember how much of a difference there was but I first set up with 32, then 64 and 16 but 32 gave the best reading. The 4k cluster is what is giving you problems, in part, because it so small for a 64k stripe that you have the cpu filling 16 separate clusters. If you had a 32k or 64k cluster it would be much faster. Basically, what you have to do is recreate the stripe at 32, create a partition and alter the cluster size to 32 and then set up windows. Once in Windows, use the Device Manager to install the necessary drivers. I used Mwarheads 2.45 remix and for the IDE drivers, I chose no to install the sw ide drivers. Once all the hardware is installed, install ATTO, defrag and test. Be sure the Total Length is set to 32 and select Neither on the right side of the panel. Gotta go now but I'll be back in around 11:30 tonight so if you've done all this by then, you should have some good news for me. Later.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

themortarman,
    I've tested them both out and matching them up seems to work best in my benches.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

Where is asked the cluster size in windows 2000 installation?
    My steps are as follows:
    1) create raid array in the controller bios
    2) fdisk/mbr
    3) create partition with fdisk
    4) install windows (including formatting of partition)
    I haven't encounter a question regarding cluster size during this setup

Ok gentelman thank you for your efforts.
    I will try 32/32 combination in this weekend (it takes hours to install windows and the other things)
    I hope I will come back with good news

Ok, Just another side note. This is all system specific!!!!!!!! What works great for me, may not work that good for the next guy. SO!!! if the killer benchies is what your looking for it is going to take alot of experimenting. Some people swear on matching the cluster/stripe some say do half the stripe. Some say 16/16. Some like 32/32. It really is different for everyone.

playdead,
    The only way to change the cluster size is either with the format command before you install the OS or use a third party program like Partition Magic. I couldn't install W2K on a partition I created with PM because(I think) W2K didn't like the 32k clusters I created in the partition. If you have PM, it should be possible to resize the cluster after you install the OS.

It shouldn't take you long to install just the OS and drivers. After my set up copied the files and restarted to install OS, it took my rig just over 8 minutes to set up. A quick defrag, put in the needed drivers and ATTO, defrag again and test. Shouldn't even take an hour. One thing I do is keep all the hardware drivers in one folder subdivided into folders for each piece of equipment. I keep this on one cd so I only have to put the cd in once and copy it to My Documents folder. Makes life lots simpler.

playdead,

what i tried to ask is do you have a TRUE hardware RAID controller ? the promise PDC20265 i think uses SOFTWARE, ie all the HDD I/O is still done by CPU so its not a true RAID !

if the above is true., which i think it is ! it will make no diff for setting the RAID0 up via Windows 2000/XP or via the RAID Bios.

Since you have already setup your 76GB hdd in the RAID BIOS, and are using it as the RAID0. My suggestion is to split the 2 hdd back to normal hdd, ie get rid of the RAID0 stripe.

then in windows, have those 2 hdd which were the RAID0 stripe, convert to dynamic disk, and create the RAID0 via Windows !

ie Software RAID, oS raid, whatever you call it.

i did it with 3 hdd, like i said before, can work with 2, pity w2k/xp does not support RAID5, need server version for that !

and do your benches, play around with the cluster size, if NTFS , DISABLE INDEXING !

and see if there is any improvement. Ideally the best way is pure hardware raid controller, but its expensive

a. for a dedicated I/O Processor ala i960 RISC
    b. for dedicated Cache for I/O

if i had my way , i would get a super duper Adaptec u320 SCSI Controller which has onboard Hardware RAID, but dont have PCI-X slot to exploit the power, seen ATTO benchmarks around 140-150MB/sec read and write, in 32bit PCI mode with that card , wack it onto PCI-X bus and it blasts pass 200MB/sec !

oh, well I can keep dreaming, hope in 2004, they really bring out MB with PCI-X !

Cheers,