Question

Ok, I am *this* close, but I don't know what to do next.

A quick update on my situation:
    I had been having problems getting the ATA100 to work at all, so I
    had to resort to doing IDE-ing my HD so that I could do the install
    of W2k and drivers. That worked and I also had the sound and net
    installed smoothly as well, but when I would try to install the ATA100
    support, things would lock up when the HD was on the ata100 bus.

After a fatal driver upgrade last friday night (the 4-in-1 4.28 drivers),
    I had to nuke the whole thing and start over. At this point, I now have
    the ATA100 drives installed correctly and I *did* have the NIC
    installed smoothly on slot 3. Problem was, when I went to install the
    sound on slot 2, I got a warning that its IRQ was in use by the
    Promise controller - so that was out. If I installed it on slot 4 or
    5, the system would hang soon after boot into W2k. So I finally followed
    the common instructions last night and put the sound card on slot 3,
    along with setting IRQ5 to be excluded for PnP and devoted to slot 3.

Fine.

I also took the NIC out too, and on boot, I had sound. Great! No hangs
    at all.

But, now if I put the NIC back in on slot 4 or 5, I get system hangs
    again. If I take OUT the NIC, it boots fine again. I have even resorted
    to trying the same exclusion tactic for the slot4/5 position as with
    the sound card, by turning off the COM2 port and giving its supposed
    IRQ (3) to slot 4/5, and it still hangs. (oh well, it was worth a try 8-})

I have heard of some others running into such problems, but I seem to have
    a minimum of hardware connected in the slots...just the AGP, SBlive PCI,
    and the 3Com NIC PCI. As it looks now, I seem to have only *1* good
    usable PCI slot usable in Win2k.

Can anyone help on this issue? This is the last outstanding issue
    before I can really start using my machine on a daily basis.

Oh, and now that I got the ATA100 going, I was able to Norton Ghost the
    drive at several points in this process so that I can return to it if
    need be. Yay for Ghost!

-Brian

BIOS settings:
    - Version 1005d BIOS
    - Slot 3 set to IRQ 5, IRQ5 excluded from PnP bios
    - PnP bios is turned on
    - Boot Virus detection is off
    - Boot sequence: floppy, ata100, IDE DVD, IDE hard drive[disabled]

Hardware:
    - Asus A7V
    - Athlon 1ghz
    - 2 generic 256meg PC133 SDRAM
    - 2 Maxtor 30 gig HDs at 7200/ata100
    (connected as master and slave on the primary ATA-100 bus)
    - AOpen 12x DVDrom (connected as master on the primary IDE bus)
    - ATI Radeon AGP, 32 meg DDR

PCI config:
    - Slot 3: Soundblaster Live
    - Slot 5: 3Com 3c905b-TX NIC (at the moment)

Software & drivers:
    - Win2K Pro with SP1
    - Via 4-in-1: 4.28
    - Ultra ata-100: 1.6 build 32

Notes:
    - My secondary IDE bus appears to be dead. The system won't POST
    if anything is connected up to it, so it is disabled in the bios.

Thanks for any help!
    -Brian

Lightbulb Keep playing with IRQ's....

blooberry1:

I think you are on the right track of trying to resolve IRQ conflicts. Maybe you need to disable plug & play in the bios. I would have suggested a bios update, but you are using the same one I am using (1005d), which I think is pretty stable. I am running W98 SE, but I have the SB Live Gamer 5.1 card in slot 4, and the NIC card in slot 3.

You didn't say if you tried the NIC card in slot 1 or 2, but we know that's a bad place for it, since those IRQ's are shared with the Promise Controller and the videocard. Still, it's worth a shot, is it not?

Maybe there are other IRQ's you can give up temporarily, like the one associated with the parallel port.

It doesn't sound like a driver issue, but does the system hang occur as you go into Windows 2000, or before that? With your sound card, you said the hang would occur after or while going into Windows 2000. You weren't too specific with regards to the NIC card.

With the dead IDE port, you have to strart wondering what happened to the board. Bad ports shouldn't be tolerated with a new board. Can you take the A7V back and get another one?
    Allen (aka BigAl of Big Al's Computers)

See OsbornAgain at www.bigal-computers.net

Ok, this is by no means any kind of officially endorsed fix, nor is it proper by theory, but it worked for me.

I have almost the same setup, except I'm running under Win98 SE. I had the same problems installing almost the same hardware.. GeForce2, Adaptec 905C, SB Live!, on the A7V. What I finally got to work was the NIC in slot 3 and the SB Live in Slot 1, sharing with the video card... Not the way it SHOULD be, but it works. I've had no problems with this setup, and have since added a second video card for second monitor, and I play a LOT of 3d games, with no problems. Promise works fine.

Best of luck.

I had some probs installing my system and my NIC. It turned out to be a setting in my bios I had to disable 'byte merge' .

Good luck

Joost

Oh yeah, i forgot....

About the IRQ problem under Win2K. Just take a look at your IRQ settings in Win2k. My video, ATA100, SBlive, 3c905 etc. was all using the same IRQ. You can disable the IRQ sharing by going to the device manager and change the driver for 'Computer' from ACPI PC to standard PC. Your system won't power itself down anymore and there will be no more IRQ sharing. That could solve some problems.

Joost

A7V 1005c
    No Via drivers
    promise 1.60 build 33
    TNT2
    SbLive

Thumbs down

I changed MoBo from KT7-raid to ASUSA7V133 hoping to avoid any more conflicts/problems, but what happens??
    Never, ever, have I been this disapointet with my new hardware.
    It`s the same as the ones over. My Live1024Player card is not working, either in PCI2 (sharing with promise), PCI3, PCI4 or PCI5. I tried one PCI128 SoundBlaster card too, but it didnt work.

Asus A7V133
    Tbird@949
    mosel@146 2-2-2
    SMC 10/100 LAN card
    GeForce2 Pro/400
    Live! 1024 Player

I use win2k, hotfix, VIA4.29b and Live3.0, directX8.0, Detonator 6.49.

I did not quite understand the bit about forcing IRQ#? to my Sound card i the BIOS.

DrErling
    Norway

I'm looking for a New Motherboard + CPU upgrade from my BP6

was just looking at this Asus A7V133 board and the IWill KK266...

guess the A7V133 won't be able to handle my hardwares...
    I've a Adaptec 2940 SCSI
    GeForce256
    SBLive Value
    Highpoint 100Raid
    and wanna switch my ISA NIC to a PCI

guess there just won't be enough Free IRQ for me w/ the Asus... any other suggestions?

As for DrErling, you can't Force IRQ for your Sound card if the Slot's IRQ is being shared

Good Luck

Talking happy endings

> You didn't say if you tried the NIC card in slot 1 or 2,
    > but we know that's a bad place for it, since those IRQ's
    > are shared with the Promise Controller and the videocard.
    > Still, it's worth a shot, is it not?

Truthfully, I hadn't tried that, since I was under the assumption that slot 1 would share with the AGP, and slot 2 with the promise controller - neither of which sounded like a good scenario.

But what did I have to lose?

I stuck the NIC on slot 2 (configuration otherwise as described in original post), and did not use any IRQ exclusion for the NIC slot. (PnP is still set to ON)

I *did* get the (something like) "warning, the IRQ slot 2 is shared with the promise controller" as its booting, but it says "hit F1 to continue", so I guess it is just an advisory message to make sure your device can share an IRQ. Well, Win2k then booted up just fine. Its been working all night, playing dvds and doing networking all just fine.

And yes, I ghosted the config immediately.

Thanks for the help all!
    -Brian

Lightbulb Reference Follow Up

I have a similar problem on a similar setup. Except I'm running Win98SE. Interesting twist is that, my system alternates between booting Windows all the way, and hanging after "Starting Windows98" When I remove the NIC, the system boots all the way, all the time. I tried nearly every trick in the book regarding IRQ swapping, exclusion...you name it, I'd done it. Problem either gets worse, or stays the same. Boot once, runs fine, reboot, hangs, reboot, fine, ad-infinitum.

For the benefit of everyone else, I will now swap my PCI cards around. From this discussion, I assume that if I place my NIC on Slot 2 and my SBLive on Slot3. My problem will be solved (With bios setting on full auto)

The result of this endeavour will be made known, shortly.

-ngeow

Talking It's Alive!!!!

Swapped the NIC for SBLive!.

Reboot. Success.
    Shutdown, unplug system.
    Reboot. Check.
    Shutdown.
    Reboot. Success.
    Restart.
    Reboot. Success.

For the reference:
    NIC go to PCI slot 2, SoundBlaster Live! go to slot 3.

If possible, leave slot 1 empty. (Avoid IRQ complications, also, leaves the AGP Video Card some room to ventilate).

My final IRQ assignment:
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Creative SB16 Emulation
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 Intel(R) PRO/100B PCI Adapter (TX)
    10 Win95-98 Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller (PDC20265)
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 Creative SB Live! Value
    11 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    11 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    11 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 (free)
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

Further developments in this area will be posted promptly.

-ngeow

Wink

Just converted from a Slot-A to AsusA7V133, Win98SE, GForce, & SBLive with out reformatting HD. Deleted several files including MB control data. Only installed GForce, booted first time. Installed SbLive in Slot 3, tagged for Legency in IRQ 5, turned OnBoard sound & modem to disable, set to PNP & have had no problem. Don't use Promise Controller right now. Loaded the driver, disabled in bios & in device manager. Works great.

Just flashed the bios last night & ready to try to overclock my system tonight. Guess I will find out if my my pencil mod works.

Pat
    Asus A7V133 133GHz 266 T-Bird 10.0x133 KingMax PC-150 Ram SwifTech 462-A CPU Cooler Enermax 430w P/S Hercules GTS Pro SB MP3 5.1+ Plextor Burner Pioneer DVD BA 7500 Sound

Grandpa's Need For Speed

a7v133 bios v1003 & Live1024Player

Hmmm, i tried an older version of a Live! card, the one without digital spif. This one worked in PCI4, even with the NIC installed too. I also flashed to BIOS version 1003.

What is it with Live! cards and the asus a7v133?
    I have little or no idea on how to assign IRQ`s either from OS, nor from BIOS. (I got my first pc after the plug&pray "revolution")

I`ve given up for the time beeing. My soundcard is hanging on the wall infront of me. It sucks having 6Gb of MP3 on my disk, not beeing able to listen to it.

And what sucks the most is playing UT, ColinMcRae and HL/CS without sound.

Please, if anyone can post the exact "how to get your sound card working on asus a7v133" I would be very happy.

DrErling
    IceCold n`Snowy Norway

Thumbs up Just in the NIC of time...

blooberry1 & a2ra3l:

Hey that's great. Sometimes it takes a fresh look or a different approach to solve computer problems. I'm going to leave my NIC in slot 3 though, with no IRQ exclusions or anything like that. Once you find a stable configuration with this board, you're just asking for trouble if you start moving things around again.

For most people, I would still recommend using slot 3 for the sound card, and slot 4 for the NIC card as the first configuration to try. This should be done after the board is first up and running with a minimal configuration (only a videocard, SDRAM, CPU, CD-ROM, and floppy drive) to flush out the stuff that's easy to resolve. Don't put it all together the first go around (like I did), because you are almost guaranteed a conflict between either IRQ's or drivers. At that point, it becomes a real pain to narrow down where the problem areas are.

Can somebody help DrErling with his sound card issues? I've seen lots of people have problems with the applications that bundle with the Live series of Creative sound cards, but I don't feel qualified to suggest the procedure he is looking for. Who ever does it should consider all the software that comes with the cards, and when or where to install it.

Allen (aka BigAl of Big Al's Computers)

See OsbornAgain at www.bigal-computers.net

I had problems similar to what everyone is saying here.

CPU @ 1Ghz w/ BIOS 1004D (unstable):

I had the Linksys 10/100 NIC card on Slot 5 and the Soundblaster PCI512 on Slot 2. PnP OS in the BIOS is set to
    "No". I read the Asus A7V/A7V133 FAQ about how the soundblaster cards need IRQ 5 for the SB16 legacy device, so then I set that up. Soundcard works fine. Then I installed the drivers for the NIC card, but as i hit "Finish" in the Win98SE Add Hardware prompt, it froze. Then the whole system went downhill from there. It would hang right after the splash screen and would not move. it would only boot if i went into safe mode and disabled the device. i would get some error like "Could not initialize device." Then i said fudge it and formatted the whole system and reset the BIOS defaults.

CPU @ 950Mhz (underclocked) w/ BIOS 1006 (stable):

Linksys card in Slot 3 and Soundblaster in slot 5. I did get a warning about the IRQ being shared with the Promise IRQ but that didn't affect anything. Everything works fine and is stable, no problems whatsoever.

read that FAQ, it might help you out.

if you have a 1Ghz, try clocking it down to 950Mhz.

I have also noticed that with Win95/98/98SE, startup will hang a little bit if there is no ethernet link to be made (ie. card isn't networked to anything).
    AMD Athlon TBird 1Ghz
    512MB/PC133 SDRAM
    Asus A7V
    nVidia Geforce2 Ultra 64MB
    Western Digital 40GB (7200 rpm)
    Creative Labs PC-DVD 6X with Dxr3 Decoder Card (Slot2)
    Soundblaster PCI512 Soundcard (Slot5)
    Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 NIC (Slot3)
    19" MAG monitor
    Windows XP Corporate Build 2600

I had problems similar to what everyone is saying here.

CPU @ 1Ghz w/ BIOS 1004D (unstable):

I had the Linksys 10/100 NIC card on Slot 5 and the Soundblaster PCI512 on Slot 2. PnP OS in the BIOS is set to
    "No". I read the Asus A7V/A7V133 FAQ about how the soundblaster cards need IRQ 5 for the SB16 legacy device, so then I set that up. Soundcard works fine. Then I installed the drivers for the NIC card, but as i hit "Finish" in the Win98SE Add Hardware prompt, it froze. Then the whole system went downhill from there. It would hang right after the splash screen and would not move. it would only boot if i went into safe mode and disabled the device. i would get some error like "Could not initialize device." Then i said fudge it and formatted the whole system and reset the BIOS defaults.

CPU @ 950Mhz (underclocked) w/ BIOS 1006 (stable):

Linksys card in Slot 3 and Soundblaster in slot 5. I did get a warning about the IRQ being shared with the Promise IRQ but that didn't affect anything. Everything works fine and is stable, no problems whatsoever.

read that FAQ, it might help you out.

if you have a 1Ghz, try clocking it down to 950Mhz.

I have also noticed that with Win95/98/98SE, startup will hang a little bit if there is no ethernet link to be made (ie. card isn't networked to anything).
    AMD Athlon TBird 1Ghz
    512MB/PC133 SDRAM
    Asus A7V
    nVidia Geforce2 Ultra 64MB
    Western Digital 40GB (7200 rpm)
    Creative Labs PC-DVD 6X with Dxr3 Decoder Card (Slot2)
    Soundblaster PCI512 Soundcard (Slot5)
    Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 NIC (Slot3)
    19" MAG monitor
    Windows XP Corporate Build 2600