Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks for the accolades from everyone !

Going through this process with CorruptedSanity, I have learned a lot myself.....

I would agree with Senor Pandero and High Flyer re physically removing the 2 current drives, installing the sata drive with os and recovery software and recovering from there.....you don't want anything to continue to write to the disk with the data on it.

One possible problem is having 2 boot drives on the system though, as I know windows can be touchy with 2 on the system....I seem to remember having 2 boot drives with Os on them once , and windows came up with a boot choice for either one.....but I think it also wrote files on both....registry info, personal folders/documents etc, at least that is what I remember.

So as High Flyer suggests, it might be wise to delete the os (or disable it somehow ) from the drive with the data files before you put the 2 drives together. But as far as I know, Dos won't read the files on an NTFS drive. Will think more on that issue.....and repost if I have any more ideas.

I am looking around at some shareware recovery programs, but as you say the Virtuallab may be worth the cost.

Why cant I just recover the files to the SaTA drive? then format both maxtor drives.

Then install a fresh copy of the OS on one drive ..

then when everything is up and running... ill copy back my files to the 2nd empty drive...

is what im saying logical?

I think so..... I guess that since you already have installed the recovery software on that disk then you are not installing anything else that might write over the data. The question is just whether in the process of recovery the program actually uses up some more disk space or swap/paging file of the main drive and may write over some more data....or maybe the program is smart enough not to do that. I really don't know.

It sounds like you can see everything you are missing ???

At this point , I would probably say go for it and try to recover them to the sata.

See what you get though before you reformat your current drive.....it's possible another recovery program can pull some more stuff off later if you are missing something.

Hope it works out !

CMB, whats wierd is i can se everything and more lol..some files are duplicated...

could you elaborate on

The question is just whether in the process of recovery the program actually uses up some more disk space or swap/paging file of the main drive and may write over some more data....or maybe the program is smart enough not to do that.
    thanks

I don't know....I am just being overly cautious I guess. If the program doesn't use any of the main drive as a cache for recovered files or starts to use a large page file on the c: drive then it should be no problem.
    If it just retrieves and copies one file after another direct to the target drive everything should be fine and dandy.

If there are issues about recovering from the same drive that the program is on, then I guess there might be something in the program help file telling you the best way to perform the recovery.

Otherwise I think you should go for it.

No news is good news ?????????

Yep I have been wondering about this one!! Like you said no new is good news..

Oh no sorry guys, I had 2 accounting exams these past 2 days so i was tryin to concentrate on them till friday ..then i recover my files..

thanks for looking out!!

Update:

I downloaded EasyRecovery DataRecovery 6.

I first used the default options such as Recover from Formatted drive, that dint work, i tried Recover from Damaged Drive. Same thing, results were all - CrossLinked - which means that a file is divided into 2. One is a working part and the other is damaged. So i was about to return the app ( good return policy, 1 month ). Untilt he Tech support suggested recovering by RAW DATA Structure. Which means it will only recover files using Extension. So after roughly 9 hours, It recovered stuff into the following folders :

.jpg
    .doc
    .mpg
    .gif
    .bmp
    .exe
    .txt

Basically general extensions. So stuff like photoshop files, back ups from my PDA were not found. Not a big deal as my main purpose was recovering my photography!

Problem is, it recovers ALL JPG files. The folder contained 33,667 files. Yes haha thirty three thousand sin hundred and sixty seven images!
    Alot were from the cache, thumbnails and so on. So right now im in the process of filtering out junk.

All in all, thanks EVERY ONE!

Thanks alot CMB!!!

Im glad you got that award! you DESERVE IT MAN!

thanks every one

Thanks...was wondering what the final outcome was.
    Glad that everything worked out ok for you in the end !

fantastic work guys. im glad to see things worked out.

a perfect example of the quality of help and support i love to see here at amdmb.

definate up.
    hmm...

I couldn't agree more.

I am glad i came here first.

I downloaded PTEDIT32, changed the partition type to 7 and everything came back.

Thanks ALL for helping me saved 134GB of data. I will NEVER use go back to GOBACK again. LOL
    Abit NF7 V2.0 BIOS D23 D3-Fire
    XP-2600M+ Barton (11.5 x 220 @ 1.75V)
    SP-97 w/ Panaflo 92mm M1A
    ATI-9800 Pro Flashed to XT
    HyperX 1GB-PC3500 @ 2-3-3-7
    Fortron 530W PS