Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

raid 0, tx2000, and JB. less than expected performance.

greetings all

having a bit of trouble getting the performance i expect out of my raid 0 config.

MSI K7N2G-ILSR
    XP 2100+ tbred b (11x185)
    Radeon 9700 Pro (cat 3.7)
    Corsair TwinX pc3200 (2x256)
    Promise FastTrack TX2000
    1 x 80GB WD JB (IDE 0)
    2 x 80GB WD JB (RAID 0, 32K stripe, 32K cluster)
    431w Enermax
    CDROM, CDRW
    Onboard SoundStorm sound
    Windows XP Pro (SP 1)

ive tried benches (atto) at various stages of the XP install process.

here are the benches:

http://www.hel-razor.com/images/attoclean.JPG - clean install. no SP, no nothin.

http://www.hel-razor.com/images/attosp1.JPG - after SP

http://www.hel-razor.com/images/attosp1nfds.JPG - SP and nforce2 drivers

http://www.hel-razor.com/images/atto...sspupdates.JPG - sp, nforce2 drivers, all windows updates

http://www.hel-razor.com/images/attoeverything.JPG - sp, nforce2 drivers, all windows updates, video and audio drivers.

cant figure out why the writes are so low. the reads arent bad...but less than what i expected...any ideas?
    hmm...

Unfortunately no solution. I have similar low write scores (actually your scores are better)
    See my thread I tried everything.

C'mon folks. Show wise one y'all know yur stuff because I know you do.

Red face

add two more disk drives, I know its expensive , but you will pick up some more speed, at least add one more, raid 0 with three disks is not too bad. Buy a promise sx4000 and put a 512mb pc133 ecc memory stick in it.$141 newegg
    Last edited by sunofwolf; 10-06-2003 at 05:11 PM.

Wet your whistles on this one folks. That's ozzy983's Raptors in RAID-0.

Originally posted by sunofwolf
    add two more disk drives, I know its expensive , but you will pick up some more speed, at least add one more, raid 0 with three disks is not too bad. Buy a promise sx4000 and put a 512mb pc133 ecc memory stick in it.$141 newegg
    if i had extra cash...i would buy a pair of raptors and a controller for them and be done with it. BUT...i dont...so i gotta make do with what i have.

anyone have any ideas?
    hmm...

the other guys I mentioned should drop in here a little later. I PMd most of them.

Red face

1.Try 16/32 cluster size, use partition magic, 2. try 16/16 too, 3.enable cache in bios-I donot know this card -but I heard it is there. 4.Overclock the pci bus. That's three things.me smart.but I can't add.
    Last edited by sunofwolf; 10-06-2003 at 06:04 PM.

Originally posted by BWM
    the other guys I mentioned should drop in here a little later. I PMd most of them.
    thnks bro. appreciate it. beginning to rethink my endeavors. these are the exact reasons why i got out of raid 0 to begin with. im not sweatin it tho. a single 80gb JB drive is smoking that raid config in writes. pretty sad...lol

o wells. ill wait and see what the others have to say before i make my final decision.
    hmm...

Originally posted by The Wise One
    thnks bro. appreciate it. beginning to rethink my endeavors. these are the exact reasons why i got out of raid 0 to begin with. im not sweatin it tho. a single 80gb JB drive is smoking that raid config in writes. pretty sad...lol

o wells. ill wait and see what the others have to say before i make my final decision.
    Yea, give 'em a little more time. It may come down to the NF2 chipset, RAID-0 just doesn't seem to do well and there are scads of posts complaining about it. I hope I'm wrong though.

Originally posted by BWM
    Yea, give 'em a little more time. It may come down to the NF2 chipset, RAID-0 just doesn't seem to do well and there are scads of posts complaining about it. I hope I'm wrong though.
    i aint even sweatin it...ill bide my time for a bit more feedback and see what happens from there.
    Last edited by The Wise One; 10-06-2003 at 06:49 PM.
    hmm...

Holler when ya wants yur IV

lol...had to edit my post. i thought this was the bar...
    hmm...

Red face

You need to play with the raid to get it to work right-I always got more performace than a single disk and I have nothing fancy-your raid drivers -could be the problem-look for a bios hack-maybe to update the card-I am using one on my KX7-R and it does work good-highpoint 2.34 driver and bios 2.34, but I do not have a promise card-I am glad you posted because I was thinking of getting your card-now I really doubt it-not even beating my highpoint-but i actually think highpoint is a good raid card and it has support-and bios update-in fact my new Epox with a rare onboard 374 highpoint chip-supports just recently raid 5-a high end raid format-I hope to try it-and it might take a bios hack to enable it-don't know yet-it seems very few people have this rare board-one big reason why i bought it-and a review web site had this board up to 235bus-must be a record for a kt400 with tight timings-I will find out myself-raid 5 and 235bus-would be amazing for a $103 shipped board and silicon image raid card-are having data coruption-a real big problem-does not matter how fast the card is if that happens-dead info
    Last edited by sunofwolf; 10-06-2003 at 07:45 PM.