Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by sunofwolf
    If your at the 137gig limit and donot have the patch-how would the drive write anymore. It would be really screwed up. But I think his problem is with drivers.
    Depends on if the BIOS sees the drive correctly, and if windoze seeing it correctly. I don't know anything about XP's problem but it obviously has them if the BIOS sees a 137+ gig correctly but dindoze doesn't.

i am really beginning to suspect either:

A. nforce2/promise incompatability
    B. bad drivers
    C. the tx2000 just plain blows

tried a raid 0 32k/32k with a win2k install. same procedures as listed in my first post. same results...

o wells....guess ill snag those 2 raptors and give them a go.
    hmm...

I agree. Why not..... Ya can still mess with the on-board raid as well.

Have a good one folks....

I"m going to go with A or b, maybe even both. Not sure on the last choice though.

How about for one minute we just assume the problem lies with Promise. As more and more cases seem to show, Promise controllers and Nforce 2 chipsets don't seem to mix well.

Wise,

Do you have a friend who could lone you even a cheapie SIL card? Or even better yet, a Highpoint card? This will prove my resent works to be correct. Most of my assosiates are either die hard Intel or Nvidia chipset fans (never will they even think of VIA), and most of them swear by Promise controllers. Every single on of them is getting extremely sub-standard performance out of their RAID array (PATA or SATA). So, I would assume the problem is with Promise, because when they put my Highpoint RocketRAID 133 card in their systems, it will fly.

The solution is not an easy one, but I've never been a huge fan of Promise to being with, since the early days of the Soyo Dragons where they used them as their onboard solution. Performance was always sub Highpoint.

Now, as far as SATA is concerned, there is no denying (although, true nvidia loyalists will), that the VIA SATA is the fastest SATA availible on the market. This has been proven by my benchmarks.

I would sell the Promise controller on e-bay, and invest in something better, such as a Highpoint, or hell, a new motherboard...because, as most of us who share no loyalties with anyone, will tell you that the Nforce 2 chipset is just as buggy as VIA, and their chipset drivers are actually worse.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

How about for one minute we just assume the problem lies with Promise. As more and more cases seem to show, Promise controllers and Nforce 2 chipsets don't seem to mix well.
    There most definately seems to be a trend here. This is about the third of fourth post in as many weeks with people not getting very good writes with a promise card on the NForce2 boards. The more and more we see this the more I am leaning with Ozzy.

Red face

Some one should e-mail promise and ask them why they donot update their drivers-I suspect this is all that is wrong-I highly doubt it is the hardware. This is a major problem and I am glad it;'s out in the open. Imagine paying $130 for a motherboard with a promise controller and it does not work-this is shabby treatment by motherboard makers and chipset makers who sell stuff that just does not work-I am glad that I never buy the first thing out and now I love my new older board the EP-8K9A3+ even more with the working four channel raid highpoint 374. By the way there are only three left that I know of for $103 if anybody wants to build a nice huge cheap raid that works www.axiontech.com -for old tech that works? The link not workingNew shoes on the way. Gold Nike's
    Last edited by sunofwolf; 10-08-2003 at 11:30 PM.

I also experience the promise/nforce2 conflict two weeks ago. Once I put a Silicon Image card in, the read and writes got up into the 80s and 90s. Hope Promise fixes this someday.

very interesting. thanks for all the info guys.

nobody i know has any raid cards i could borrow for a night.

i do have one here...not sure i can use it tho. i dont think i can.

its a 3Ware 7500-4LP. its a 64bit card that runs at 33mhz. had it in my tyan mobo. not sure if i could use this card in a 32bit slot or not and have it function correctly (if at all...). if i cant, then im out of luck as far as testing goes.

the raptors i am getting next week are coming with a promise serial controller. i can give it a go...but i expect to see similar results. i can then snag a highpoint controller. is there a particular one that would be recommended?
    hmm...

Originally posted by The Wise One
    very interesting. thanks for all the info guys.

nobody i know has any raid cards i could borrow for a night.

i do have one here...not sure i can use it tho. i dont think i can.

its a 3Ware 7500-4LP. its a 64bit card that runs at 33mhz. had it in my tyan mobo. not sure if i could use this card in a 32bit slot or not and have it function correctly (if at all...). if i cant, then im out of luck as far as testing goes.

the raptors i am getting next week are coming with a promise serial controller. i can give it a go...but i expect to see similar results. i can then snag a highpoint controller. is there a particular one that would be recommended?
    Check out Highpoint's 1542 and 1544 models.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/rr1544.htm

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/rr1542.htm

Be aware that the RAID-0 fans say that highpoint controllers don't support write caching. They'll chime in with more about that.

thanks for the links bro
    hmm...

From what I've seen, in terms of benchmarks, Write caching doesn't offer that big a performance difference, even in a file copy test, the difference is hardly noticable. And, I think with the Highpoint utility, you can enable write caching. Not sure though, VIA needs to start offering PCI SATA controllers, not just on the motherboards.

Wise,

The problem with the VIA KT600 chipset is that memory performance is still sub par compared to dual channel setups. However, the questions is, and with most benchmarks, is it noticable, or just some numbers?

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Right on Ozzy, most of it is just numbers. But the numbers are still a handy troubleshooting tool when it comes to "is it is or is it ain't work'n right".

Exactly, it is a guage and nothing more. However, when you know what numbers to expect, a few points or so isn't going to make a huge difference.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

ive heard the difference between single channel and dual channel is marginal at best...maybe 7%...i can tell you that i dont feel the difference when switching between my nforce2 and my wifes KT333...

main thing i want now is 200FSB and good HDD performance.
    hmm...