Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ati heatsinks

ati heatsinks

I have the hercules 9800 pro and i cant put my finger on it for more than 10 seconds when i overclock..i really would want some advise...i want to take off the gpu heatsink on both sides of the card and the ram heatsinks..but im afraid of doing harm to the card...can anyone give me some of their wisdom???

btw...i want to put the zalman heatpipe with fan on the card....

Heat them (the heatsinks only) up real good with a hairdryer and they will twist off.

A word of caution about prying/hard knocks: it's easy to break the memory chips off the pcb. Don't say I didnt warn ya.
    "Use the NForce3 Luke"

ditch the idea of removing the ram heatsinks

RO4D_K1LL,
    I removed 2 bottom ramsinks and rear gpu heatsink with a wooden popsicle stick last weekend. Take your time and just be gentle.

dward3

lol crazy, yeah do whatver you like

Re: ati heatsinks

Originally posted by -=RO4D_K1LL=-
    I have the hercules 9800 pro and i cant put my finger on it for more than 10 seconds when i overclock..i really would want some advise...i want to take off the gpu heatsink on both sides of the card and the ram heatsinks..but im afraid of doing harm to the card...can anyone give me some of their wisdom???

btw...i want to put the zalman heatpipe with fan on the card....
    Are you sure the Ram heat sinks don't fit under the Zalman? The Zalman fan blowing on them would help cool the memory too...

If you cut or modded the bridges that connect the ramsinks together the Back Side Heatsink would fit.

dward3

what i am woried about is the gpu sink..the one on the other side of the card...

it is bug...and i dont know how they have it there...because in the cards made by ati there is no die or anything..

take a look at my card first...

http://www.game2xs.com/content.php?a...&contentid=520

The cheapest and easier thing that you can do, is add a fan to the backside passive cooler of this card.
    The Zalman cooler will not cool the video cards memory, but you will not need to remove the memory passive heatsinks, in order to install this thing, unless they are too tall. It will however block the air above the memory heatsinks and therefore the memory cooling will be inferior, by a little bit.
    And of course you need the active zalman cooler, as the passive is not powerful enought for your card

RO4D_K1LL,
    The GPU side gave me a little hassle. It's normal. Did you take it off yet?

dward3

Originally posted by dward3
    RO4D_K1LL,
    The GPU side gave me a little hassle. It's normal. Did you take it off yet?

dward3

nope not yet man....im afraid

can you give me specific instructions???

thnx

the ATI ramsinks fit just fine with a TT Giant II...
    The Rig
    AMD Athlon XP 2700+ T-bred
    - 2434mHz(221x11) @1.875v
    - 442MHz FSB effective
    ABIT NF7-S v2.0
    1GB PC3200 Corsair @2.8v
    ATI Radeon 9800pro 256MB w/TT Giant II@411/764

respect the sandwiches (Zalman, TT Giant II) and the card and you'll be fine

.......them ram sinks look fine. Ram sinks are only working if they are hot. Cool ones mean trouble. I would just use a Zalman fan bracket and fan for blowing across the card...........

I have to agree with BigBookThumper. I tried it both ways. It's possible to run the Zalman ZM80C-HP VGA Heatpipe Cooler with your Zalman fan bracket without removing any ram-sink.

dward